Do T's get along or should they be kept seperate

trainman1963

Arachnopeon
did some searches but did find exactly what i was looking for. if i get 2 or 3 tarantulas of the same species, specifically B. smithi, can they be kept in same enclosure or should they be kept separate and sex is unknown. i know to keep separate if i don't want spiderlings, but i mean other than that. if they can be kept in same enclosure, is a ten gallon sized aquarium/terarium large enough for them? thank you!

Arienette

Arachnoknight
did some searches but did find exactly what i was looking for. if i get 2 or 3 tarantulas of the same species, specifically B. smithi, can they be kept in same enclosure or should they be kept separate and sex is unknown. i know to keep separate if i don't want spiderlings, but i mean other than that. if they can be kept in same enclosure, is a ten gallon sized aquarium/terarium large enough for them? thank you!
No.
No.
No.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Please do more research! some ts can be communal eg. avics and pokies, but most species will eat each other

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
communal setups is tricky thing in general. their are one or two species that are supposed to be communal and they are arboreal species (tree dwelling). I have never hear of a B. smithi colony before so I can not help you with that. the reason people avoid communal setups is because T's are cannibal so the possible of one T eating the other is a very real possibilities. personally I would not try it because if memory serves B. smithi are quite expensive and not worth the risk of losing one.

ZipZipskins

Arachnopeon
Tarantulas don't play well with others. Heck, even ones basking in fresh post-mating afterglow can't help but eat or be eaten. >.<

trainman1963

Arachnopeon
not wanting a communal setup really anyway. i found that some dealers have a minimum sale amount to make it worth the shipping which i understand so to purchase from that dealer, i would need to buy 2 or 3, i just didnt know if i could keep them together or if i needed to have separate enclosures. Separate it is, but im going to try to buy just one. thanks for all the input!!

ZipZipskins

Arachnopeon
not wanting a communal setup really anyway. i found that some dealers have a minimum sale amount to make it worth the shipping which i understand so to purchase from that dealer, i would need to buy 2 or 3, i just didnt know if i could keep them together or if i needed to have separate enclosures. Separate it is, but im going to try to buy just one. thanks for all the input!!
You could always get a smithi AND an albopilosum AND a G. pulchripes, or something... I mean, if you have to get more than one to make it worth the shipping, why not expand your collection? XD

Not that I'd argue with two or three smithis, I love those spiders.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Even with communal species, it doesn't always work, and only seems to work when they're from the same sac, as far as I can tell. (Haven't tried to keep communal yet, though, so take it for what it's worth.)

Bottom line: Tarantulas are lethally territorial with very few exceptions. Do not put them in the same container.

They really don't need much room, and the enclosures don't need to be expensive. I use deli cups for slings and either KKs or Walmart plastic shoeboxes for juvies/adults - so there's really no need to try keeping them together.

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
With this understanding of tarantulas my reply would be that your not ready to own any. Get a good idea of what your getting into, so as to avoid major problems early on.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Avics are not communal, and to the OP neither are B.smithi.
Not to cause a stir or nothing but I saw some pictures of an Avicularia minitrax communal on the English forum I also frequent. As far as I'm aware that is the only Avics that will tolerate each other to be communal.

trainman1963

Arachnopeon
With this understanding of tarantulas my reply would be that your not ready to own any. Get a good idea of what your getting into, so as to avoid major problems early on.
i dont plan on getting one for at least a couple months or until iv'e done full research, that's why i'm asking the questions if i can't find the question already asked and answered. i want no mistakes!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not to cause a stir or nothing but I saw some pictures of an Avicularia minitrax communal on the English forum I also frequent. As far as I'm aware that is the only Avics that will tolerate each other to be communal.
As with -any- communal setup, you'll have a chance to end up with a single, fat spider.

MikeInNC

Arachnopeon
Trainman1963 - "The Tarantula Keepers Guide" is your best friend. Well worth the expense, and is always on-hand - so to speak - to answer questions/concerns.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On Google, type scarab monocentropus balfouri and look for some of his threads on his balfouri communal. It's amazing and going to be my focus for the next while. It's very fascinating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 02:04 PM ----------

It's a great read. But don't start with that species. It's just worth reading. And don't keep smithis together. No.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As with -any- communal setup, you'll have a chance to end up with a single, fat spider.
I call those situations 'Russian doll tradgedies'. One ends up inside another, who ends up inside another, who ends up inside another until there's just a single large one left! :biggrin:

TGIRL23

Arachnopeon
ordered it from amazon today. thanks!
That book will answer the majority of questions you have. I really use mine a lot. Good luck with your T keeping.

---------- Post added 02-07-2013 at 02:43 PM ----------

I call those situations 'Russian doll tradgedies'. One ends up inside another, who ends up inside another, who ends up inside another until there's just a single large one left! :biggrin:
That's an awesomely accurate description. Lol.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ts are like spoiled children, they have to be the only living thing in their house. The only difference is children don't eat each other after killing their siblings =P

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Ts are like spoiled children, they have to be the only living thing in their house. The only difference is children don't eat each other after killing their siblings =P
I take it you haven't been around all that many children? </sarcasm>