Do Scorpions Really Need a Water Dish?

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some of the species I keep seem to do fine with just an occasional misting but should they be given a water dish as well? I’m mainly keeping Uroctonus mordax and a few desert Vaejovids.

Dr SkyTower

Arachnolord
I agree with Arachnoenthusiast! Even desert species need water - they just don't need their enclosure misted.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I see it as a why not situation.... having a water dish 100% won’t hurt any invert. If there is even a 1% chance a specimen would need one on occasion.... why not?
it doesn’t hurt so better safe than sorry. I do keep someTarantula slings with out one but mainly bc the enclosure is too small. Either way I drip water several times a week where they can drink if necessary. I’ve seen too many Ts/scorpions actively drinking from dishes to think it’s completely unnecessary

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
I usually put a water bottle cap full of water once every 2 to 3 weeks and I even catch my desert scorpions drinking out of it... but I don't mist

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
All my species I keep have water dishes. Including all my arad stuff like Androctonus etc

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Absolutely not! .. i have one of thee largest collections of rare buthide species in the US hobby in addition to 90% of thrm being arid species.

I do not use a single water dish in any enclosure..... will they utilize it? Yes if given but it actually apposes more threat than benefit

I've raised generations of arid species with only a spray mist

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
The one exception I have made it using a large shallow dish for Heterometrus and pandinus ONLY because they like to submerge and soak their entire body in puddles and pools

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I see it as a why not situation.... having a water dish 100% won’t hurt any invert. If there is even a 1% chance a specimen would need one on occasion.... why not?
it doesn’t hurt so better safe than sorry. I do keep someTarantula slings with out one but mainly bc the enclosure is too small. Either way I drip water several times a week where they can drink if necessary. I’ve seen too many Ts/scorpions actively drinking from dishes to think it’s completely unnecessary
Incorrect.. many many people have lost countless amount of scorpion unnecessarily due to a little bottle cap. Smaller specimens get stuck in surface tensions. Get trapped and die

Lewis Catlin

Arachnoknight
From personal experience that has happened to me not good.
I always pick water dishes that are the size of the scoprion when stood up fully ie the height of the ground so there’s is little chance of that happening.The only arad scorpions that I have water dishes inis my Hadrurus sp. and my large claw the rest such as buthids etc I don’t. They get sufficient from the food (and occasional tiny spray down in one corner) like they would in the wild.

woodie

Arachnosquire
Incorrect.. many many people have lost countless amount of scorpion unnecessarily due to a little bottle cap. Smaller specimens get stuck in surface tensions. Get trapped and die
I've even had small instar dead during shipping stuck in tension of humidity droplets on side of container.

Manglerius

Arachnopeon
Any opinions on the gel like solidified water stuff I've seen in some videos... They seem like a good option but I'm new myself. I have a small water bowl that my h. spinifer uses pretty well

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
eh, ive not used one in my terrariums for years. usually its just something to clean out when prey die inside or bolus's get tossed. i tend to just spray

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey buddy :) yep. like i said in the other topic, facebook is dead for not only discussing arachnids, but selling them. My mentor told me things were picking up here again, so i figure id make a return!~
Must have missed that, but you're totally right about Facebook. Anyway, welcome back dude!

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Must have missed that, but you're totally right about Facebook. Anyway, welcome back dude!
yep! no worries. basically people flocked there because it was easier to share photos and do business, which is a major complaint i have about this site (forums are very 2000s and outdated), but it seems after the animal sales crackdown, sales have all but stopped and everyone flocked back here and tarantulaforum

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yep, bottle caps and small dishes are a deathtrap for some species. i think they're only really useful for larger specimen and specifically gravid females who need access to water for gestation