do obts dart?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a haplo and it was a darter, I'd open the cage, then boom darted. I like T's, I want to buy some slings, and i also want something i can breed. i really like obts, just really thinking if its a good idea or not.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OBT's will dart when startled, but darting out of the enclosure is only a temporary problem. Once they web up a retreat, any disturbance will send them straight down into it...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
...or up in your face with a threat display.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...or up in your face with a threat display.
LOL- that must have been entertaining :D Was it settled in with a tube web?

I've had that happen to me with P. cambridgei and H. maculatus. The Mac actually bit a fold in my sleeve, and that was the closest I've come to a bad bite so far.

I've had recently rehoused OBT's bolt twice, but both were up, out and in the opposite direction. It probably has more to do with random direction selection than species I would guess.

Somehow that's not comforting :rolleyes:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not a tube web, per-se, but they had their enclosures all webbed up to their satisfaction. They still preferred to wait at the top in a threat display than run down and cower in a corner.

I have an H. mac that comes out fangs first if I so much as touch the enclosure. Feeding is always fun, and I'm not looking to the rehousing I'm going to attempt once I finish this statistics course (just in case I get bit, I want to wait until I've completed the course :}).

cobaltbrew

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My OBT is actually not in my face... ever! He (that's my educated guess based on this last molt) has never given me nor his previous owner a threat display. He molted last night around 3AM and let me retrieve the exuvium at around 9AM without so much as a fuss.

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When we had our male OBT (Colonel Mustard, he matured and was munched a month later), he only darted once. He had molted while we were away for a week, and so we weren't sure if he was ready to eat or not. So, we did what we normally do when we're not sure, tweezer feed, so that if he didn't want it, it would be easy to remove. Well, the stupid cricket somehow got off the tweezers, which freaked out the Colonel, and he bolted out of his enclosure. Luckily he just sat outside of his enclosure for a few seconds, while Mackenzie and I froze waiting to see what he would do. He then turned around and gingerly walked right back into his enclosure and proceeded to eat the cricket.

The thing with OBTs is they rely heavily on their webbing and are very reluctant to leave it (the same could really be said with any T). I've noticed that when it comes to rehousing all the heavy webbers (OBTs, Chilos, Ephebopus, etc.) you can dump out the sub in their old enclosure trying to get them out all you want, but as long as there's webbing in there, they're not going to budge.

We just rehoused our two OBT slings, and the one did a few laps around the bathtub, but it got tired eventually. We also never got a threat display from our male for the short time we had him. He stridulated when we were packing him up to send him on a 50/50, but that's about it.

Cass

arachnoobie

Arachnopeon
both of my 1" OBT's have both bolted out of their cage up my arm onto my back and eventually down my arm back into their terrariums? adventurous lovely lovely little feeding machines. get some.{D

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I once handled my P.regalis. It ran up my hand, down my shirt, around my neck, then up my face and on my head. :) It finally rested on my hand for it's photo-shoot. I tried to do the same with my OBT but she wouldn't let me.(kept running away) :(

Feeding is always fun, and I'm not looking to the rehousing I'm going to attempt once I finish this statistics course (just in case I get bit, I want to wait until I've completed the course :}).
Good strategy. You'll need your energy for that class.(God I hate that subject)

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Allow me to answer your question with a video link. This is not my video but I think it will do the trick.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxXrHc9sflA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxXrHc9sflA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Allow me to answer your question with a video link. This is not my video but I think it will do the trick.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxXrHc9sflA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HxXrHc9sflA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
Its a darter.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine doesnt dart.
it sits there upside down with its fangs at the ready.

Mvskokee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Lord that was fast lol.

VESPidA

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you know, the first time i was browsing quickly through the threads i read this as 'do obts fart' lol:8o:D

Durandal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

........:eek:

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All Ts are capable of bursts of speed but as stated, they will usually dart back to their retreat or burrow. That being said, my OBT will stand it's ground and throw a threat pose when I open the enclosure. For that reason, I always have a cup ready in case it decides to motor up and over the side.

If you're going to be getting slings then I don't see a problem with OBTs. You should be able to get used to the speed if you raise them from little'uns. They're also said to be quite easy to successfully breed (although I've no experience with this one).

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
are C.fasciatum darters?
Yes. They move their legs so fast that they appear to hover....Mine were quite fiesty.My wife just finished moving arounf some 2nd instars,and they were shooting and climbing all over.