Do mature males only tap?

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Just woke up to hear one of my two hapolpelma tapping incredibly loudly. Does this mean it's mature and male? Sorry, not used to a tapping individual, and I could've swore it was only a 3 or 4 inch specimen.

Last edited:

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I would say no to only males tapping . I too have someone over on the T rack that does a little knocking late at night . I always assumed it's just rummaging around the enclosure noise . My only OW males are OBTs and the sound doesn't seem to be coming from them . It must be coming from one of my NW and they are all females . I dunno it's a mystery .

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I would say no to only males tapping . I too have someone over on the T rack that does a little knocking late at night . I always assumed it's just rummaging around the enclosure noise . My only OW males are OBTs and the sound doesn't seem to be coming from them . It must be coming from one of my NW and they are all females . I dunno it's a mystery .
Do you think I should check the burrow for a molt? It's sitting outside the burrow tapping like crazy, despite the other haplo being on the other side of the shelf.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
It can't hurt to check for a molt . If it seems suddenly bigger and is drumming away then I would suspect a male .

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
It's a little early for him to be here but Poec54 will along before too long . He is the guy to ask about OW behavior . BTW what is the species ?

louise f

Arachnoangel
The girls tap too, not only the males. :) But the males do it too even when not matured yet. :)

MatthewM1

Arachnoknight
Mature males are the most likely to randomly tap. I've only ever seen females tap in response to a male. But it is possible one of your girls thinks theres a male near by.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
It's a little early for him to be here but Poec54 will along before too long . He is the guy to ask about OW behavior . BTW what is the species ?
Haplopelma vonwirthi, but not going to breed since the genus is a bit of a mess with the brown/black spiders + I don't exactly trust the word of the seller, and I don't want to make a hybrid.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have a mature female B boehmei (on a 2 year molt cycle) who tapped regularly for over a year. No other B boehmei in the house, no mature males of any species in the house at the time. I've not observed any other species doing it, but I'm not home 24/7. :)

jiacovazzi

Arachnoknight
Just woke up to hear one of my two hapolpelma tapping incredibly loudly. Does this mean it's mature and male? Sorry, not used to a tapping individual, and I could've swore it was only a 3 or 4 inch specimen.
Not just mature males, females tap too to signify a readiness to breed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I have had females in the past tap as well, even without the presence of any males.