Do Halloween/Moon crabs smell bad?

Astulfo

Arachnopeon
I'm going to get some Halloween crabs, and I want to keep them in my bedroom
Do they smell bad? If so, any ideas to keep them odorless?

Thanks!

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I haven't kept crabs, but I don't imagine they would. They have no defensive secretions, so I see no other reason for them smelling bad. Unless they died and began to rot, but that's not the living crabs smelling bad, that's just bacteria ;)

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I swore off crab sniffing. Got the therapy and changed my ways.
Crabs don't have any ability to produce an odor. Take a sniff of one freshly taken from the water. Nada. Then keep it in open air for a few minutes and sniff again. They are bottom feeders. Bacterial wonderland.

Astulfo

Arachnopeon
How much noise could a crab make?.
I hear hermit crabs aren't a good choice if you are going to keep them in your bedroom.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
The tanks will smell like a rotting plant unless you clean it daily, which will stress out the crab, but unless you have the tank open and are actively sniffing it, you'll be fine.

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
Toxoderidae's got it, it's really just plant/soil smell. Gecarcinus love chopping up and eating grass and other plants, but they aren't too thorough and the remains will have a planty odor. Really not a problem. Also, the only noise they make during normal activities is scrabbling /bumping around, which I find cute but not disruptive. Hermits chirp, some species much more than others, and tend to climb and fall more. They can be fairly noisy, but I and my roommates have never found the Halloween crabs to be.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
Yeah, my G. Quadratus, Richard (Dick) just eats his veggies and makes that weird scraping noise as he tunnels. It really makes him cute compared to how much of a jerk he is.

HalloweenCrab

Arachnopeon
They shouldn't produce much of a smell. If the tank stinks, it's probably the plants, leftover bits of decaying food, or fouled water.