Do anyone else’s Ts do this?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yes, they all do...typically just after catching the prey item. They are basically just webbing it all up into a ball.

Minty

@londontarantulas
The so called happy dance is a well known phenomenon in the hobby.

SkatesSpidersStories

Arachnopeon
The so called happy dance is a well known phenomenon in the hobby.
I’ve seen it in described and shown in videos on YouTube, but it’s fun to have seen it in person. :) Didn’t know it was so common.

I’m a newbie so please forgive the ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Do anyone else’s Ts do a little “happy dance” when they’ve eaten a full meal?
If you're happy and you know it, spin around!
If you're happy and you know it, then your legs will surely show it.

If you're happy and you know it, wrap your prey!
If you're happy and you know it, then your silk will surely show it.

If you're happy and you know it, mash it up!
If you're happy and you know it, then your fangs will surely show it.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
sometimes they won't dance in front of you...:(. tarantula dancing is a very scientific observation, purely empirical. The greeks themselves posed many philosophical questions about the happy dance. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness the weird things Ts do will never cease to amaze me, whether it be laser beam poop or dancing. (I should start a tarantula ballet)

SkatesSpidersStories

Arachnopeon
sometimes they won't dance in front of you...:(. tarantula dancing is a very scientific observation, purely empirical. The greeks themselves posed many philosophical questions about the happy dance. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness the weird things Ts do will never cease to amaze me, whether it be laser beam poop or dancing. (I should start a tarantula ballet)
Haha. They are funny alien critters indeed. ^_^ Looking forward to the ride as a new owner!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, only yours does that movement. The YouTube videos are propaganda from the Salsa Alliance.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
You should see a big T. stirmi do it. Mine looks big enough in normal pose, but when she raises up it's like 'Whoa, you are a big girl' Lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha. Well, I AM new to this and thought it was one of those things where some did it and some didn’t. I didn’t know it was practically universal.
I know you are new, I remember another post of yours, tha's why I made a joke.

While the exact reason isn't known, some speculate there are a few reasons- holding down the prey so it doesn't get away, that one is a bit obvious. The less obvious speculation is some believe the laying down of silk helps ward off predators such as ants while they eat. As you MAY have noticed they drop silk 360, and remain inside that circle until they are finished.

SkatesSpidersStories

Arachnopeon

While the exact reason isn't known, some speculate there are a few reasons- holding down the prey so it doesn't get away, that one is a bit obvious. The less obvious speculation is some believe the laying down of silk helps ward off predators such as ants while they eat. As you MAY have noticed they drop silk 360, and remain inside that circle until they are finished.
Cool!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel

I heard some say it's to keep dirt off their prey, not sure if I buy it though. It's not like they wallow in the dirt while they're eating.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

There's also the fact that they liquefy their prey and then suck it up, the webbing helps hold it all together.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Happy dances are cute, but I love when Ts groom their itty bitty footsies. :) I could watch them do it all day.