1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do all scorps molt upside down?

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by beesknees, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Advertisement
    Just wondering if all scorpions molt by hanging upside down? I have a Paruroctonus boreus and will need to include perches at a slanted angle if the answer is yes :)

Thanks!

2. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron

No not all scorps molt upside down

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brian S

Brian S ArachnoGod Old Timer

Mostly just "bark scorpion" molt like that. Burrowing and terrestrial spp molt right side up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    paruroctonus are terrestrial and can molt without a perch.

buthids and other scorps that exhibit negative or vertical geotaxis prefer to molt while hanging.

Some require a cell for molting, hadrurus arizonensis definitely needs a stable burrow for that. and it's gotta be DEEP

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

No . Most arboreal sp molt vertically but many terrestrial Sp. Molt upside down on the ground. And this varies between each specimen. I've had scorpions of the same Sp molt right side up or upside down

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Scorpionluva

Scorpionluva Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

PA
    @ArachnoDrew yep atleast half my leiurus molt upside down while the other half seems to do it Right side up on the substrate
    My Heteroctonus junceus are odd since its 50/50 with half using vertical bark to molt while the other half molt right on the substrate
    There's never a set standard with any species really
    ive had Hadrurus molt out in the open even