Do A.bicoloratums burrow for you?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Or eat? :p

Mine was acquired as an adult, perhaps 5 months ago. Hasn't eaten since, hasn't been hiding much, and hasn't shown any direct interest in excavation-work. She might have shifted some peat&vermiculite in the beginning..or I just found her sitting in a small depression that day. The substrate is as dry as old bones, but my L.parahybana certainly managed to make almost exactly the same kind of substrate look like a battlefield of craters and pits and piles.

Got her a flowerpot after a month, but she only sits in it occasionally. I absolutely never see her move, but she changes location all around the terrarium daily. Here she is, being mysterious:

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Someone but me has to have an A.bicoloratum?

sanguinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just have a tiny bico sling and it, like yours, moves when your not looking and doesn't really dig much. The pill bottle it is in has a sloping depression it likes to stay at the bottom of . I put cricket legs at the top of the hill and it crawls up to get em. It's pretty fat and will moult soon I think.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you for your reply.
You mean yours will molt soon?

I thought these things would bury themselves during the cold season of the year..or when they were about to molt. Hmm..

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've only had mine for about 2 weeks now. It's a bit battered up having lost 2 legs in the past. It's about 3" now and has already started to regenerate parts of the missing legs: they are very short and thin. They are 2 back legs on the same side.

So far no digging or moving the substrate in any way shape or form, just tucks itself into a hiding spot about half the time (in fake plant or under cork bark).

My aphonopelma caniceps has never done much with her substrate since I've had her either (1 year). My aphonopelma anax never dug, but he did routinely move things around in his enclosure like the fake plants and water dish.

Pixie

sanguinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Vys said:
Thank you for your reply.
You mean yours will molt soon?
It hasn't eaten in a while so I am pretty sure it will do it's strip tease soon. It's moulted a couple times already but it is growing very slowly compared to my other T's.I know it is normal for this species to grow slowly. It has a cute black dot on it's butt and has been getting a bit more color variation. Sorry I don't have a camera to take pics to show you.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine doesn't do a whole lot but she did do some spring cleaning once :D

She comes out about every other day, checks the grounds and heads back to the house. :p

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm, so by all accounts, they aren't very heavy into burrowing then.
Thanks.

Diane: Haha, yours at least seem to have some..regularity..purpose..mine just..seems rather undefined.
She seems to have pushed the flat rocks away from the plant-base...I didn't change exactly all the soil for the plant..maybe there are some for her bad chemical compunds near the roots.. is she trying to kill herself because she hates the enclosure I gave her? :p

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Taken today. Simply wondering if she's entirely alright in the head :/

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I'm not too sure mine had a purpose to all that work cause in the next couple of days, she moved all that dirt back to the house :? Weird.

Don't try to understand them, just love 'em for what they are, whatever that is {D Just look at them and say "Awww, isn't that cute?!"

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bringing this thread up again just to see if anyone else can add anything about the habits of Aphonopelmas..specifically concerning eating, this time.

It has now gone ~7 months since I got her, and she hasn't eaten a thing. Should I be worried? Since she doesn't seem to have a 'cozy spot' or anything; just moves around and seems..distressed, in ultrarapid.