DIY Fly trap. Food for your spider.

HAUSAMANN peter

Arachnopeon
I decided to create a live fly trap, to help my catch flies for my spider. There are many examples on the Internet. The following photos shows what I put together for the task.

MY FLY TRAP.jpg

The bait really has to smell, and even added a rotten strawberry to sweeten the aroma. It works well on calm sunny days. It's currently winter where I am, and on cold windy days the fly are either hiding, can't smell the bait due to wind, or both. Anyway, on the right day and bait, the trap caught one to two flies per day.

This design works well for my holding jar.
MY FLY TRAP-2.jpg

The fly does eventually go through the portal. The spider does not go up the portal because the down tube overhangs the bottom of the lid.
Will soon post an update on how to encourage the fly to go into the holding jar (or vivarium).

Ferrachi

Arachnoprince
Like @moricollins said in your other thread, are you some engineer or something ? LOL :rofl:

Your drawings and designs are pretty crazy ! I may just have to try and build one of your creations... :)

Poonjab

Arachnoking
This is awesome. I’ve been building basically the exact same thing for years. I just use an old mason jar. Fill it 1/4 way with juice from tuna can. Put funnel on top. Set out in sun. Empty it every few days because so many dead flies.

HAUSAMANN peter

Arachnopeon
This is awesome. I’ve been building basically the exact same thing for years. I just use an old mason jar. Fill it 1/4 way with juice from tuna can. Put funnel on top. Set out in sun. Empty it every few days because so many dead flies.
Thanks for the tip about using tuna as bait. The first time I've heard of something fishy that sounds honest.:D

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I have done the same thing, just more amateur level. With a soda bottle cut in half and inverted. Works good and free food for my mantids.

HAUSAMANN peter

Arachnopeon
I have done the same thing, just more amateur level. With a soda bottle cut in half and inverted. Works good and free food for my mantids.
Yes, I used the same principle, but added a barrier between bait and fly as well as a method of transferring capture to vivarium portal.