DIY enclosures for arboreals

Zeph

Arachnosquire
I currently have my slings in a number of containers, some deli containers, mini kritter keepers, and amazing glass canisters that I got for $1 at Dollar Tree! They should be able to grow into these as juveniles. I'm trying to plan for their adulthood by researching inexpensive enclosures. So far, I plan on modifying clear totes and shoe boxes from The Container Store, adding screens and locks.

A couple questions, can anyone recommend an inexpensive DIY enclosure for arboreal NW species? Also, what kind of tool would you use to create the holes for the screens? Something that heats up like a wood cutting tool?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cordless drill and a spade bit (size appropriate) or a hole saw bit.. just make sure you have a pilot hole in the center to start it off, to keep the bits from skipping across the plastic. Scratches in enclosures are an eyesore imho

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
Soldering iron, makes a cleaner hole than a drill, imo. Just make sure to do it in a well ventilated area, the burnt plastic is not good for you.

Phlerr

Arachnoknight
If you have a Michael's where you live they have acrylic doll display cases in different sizes that work GREAT as cheap DIY arboreal enclosures.

jakeh

Arachnopeon
If you have a Michael's where you live they have acrylic doll display cases in different sizes that work GREAT as cheap DIY arboreal enclosures.
+1. Almost all of my terrariums are modified from Michaels with the exception of one. Those plus a 35 dollar dremel and you are saving yourself a good bit of money.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Dont know if this counts as cheap, but my lps usually has sales on their huge array of enclosures. 2.5g for $25 and 5g for $35. Add a few dollars worth of 1/8" acrylic and some hinges and your set.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer