DIY Easy, Cheap, Flexible, Strong, Natural Looking Hide

Stratton

Arachnopeon
Basically I was trying to find a hide or something I could use as the opening to a burrow, maybe half bury it in a little hill or something I could just put in as a normal hide. I wanted something cheap and for me something on the small side but I couldn't find anything that would fit right or was the right shape. So I had the idea that I could make one out of hot glue.
I know it sounds a little odd and why would you but at least hear me out. I made a simple hide and I even made it look natural by melting the surface and pressing it into substrate (Sand for me since I wanted to use it in an arid type enclosure with more sand and clay).
The fun thing I found out is that because it was made of hot glue, I could bend and shape it even though it was hardened so I could make the hide fit the enclosure and the needs I had. I wasn't worried about it warping or melting because there was no heat lamp or heating pad and hot glue won't melt at normal summer temperatures even into the high 90's to 100. Also the substrate on it gave it extra support.
I've included a little How Too step by step in the pictures because I didn't think to record the process but it's pretty straight forward.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stratton

Arachnopeon
I added the substrate to it by taking a torch with a very low flame and passing it over the surface a few times and then pressing it into the substrate.
It stayed in shape and could take weight on top of it but was still flexible enough that if I needed to make the opening higher or narrower or squeeze it between two rocks or something I could.
I know you could just buy a hide or arrange things different to fit it but, I was bored and had an idea that someone else might want to try.

I checked the glue to make sure it would be safe chemically for arachnids and other invertebrates and everything was good. It's literally the same hot glue you use to attach cork bark and fake plants in your enclosure.