Displays at conventions

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
Hello everyone!

I have a side business in breeding and selling invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians and I regularly go to conventions like Repticon.

I've been (as well as many other local breeders) using deli cups and sometimes vials to house tarantulas, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, isopods and other inverts, but the biggest problem I get with deli cups is that even the most transparent deli cup is a little hazy, not to mention I also add a thin layer of damp substrate for their comfort but unfortunately causes a bit of condensation in the cup and reduces visibility drastically. Combined with being on a black table that most people have to either bend over or pick up the cup to see the invert (which usually can take them 5-20 seconds before they finally see it) I’m sure it can get a little annoying and makes people lose interest fairly quickly. Even though all the cups are tagged with their common and Latin name, a good amount of people don’t know exactly how it’s supposed to look and/or they’re curious to see how the specimen looks.

I wanted to ask you guys as buyers, how would you prefer or best recommend to see invertebrates displayed? What do you think will catch your eye the best? My main concern is the comfort of the animal while providing the most amount of visibility. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
As a fellow vendor, I've moved towards having uniform cups for the most part to have a sleek look. People want to be able to see the spiders, I can say that with confidence. A loos centipede will get peoples attention

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I don't think this is going to be very helpful to you, but i usually just look at the lists to see if they have what i want and at what price.

I then do the rounds and see if others have them too, do a price comparison and then decide if i want to buy or not.

During the purchase i do a quick check if its looks healthy and if it is the correct species.

@OP and others:
I am curious, if you issued a guess, what percentage of custumers at your stands are likely first time buyers attracted by seeing the spiders in the cups versus those who already know what they want?

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
..............................most people have to either bend over or pick up the cup to see the invert (which usually can take them 5-20 seconds before they finally see it) I’m sure it can get a little annoying and makes people lose interest fairly quickly.................................
I'd say, just make them comfortable with the viewing process. I'm always a little self-conscious about that. "He thinks I'm just kicking the tires, but not buying anything."

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Interesting ask.... I know someone else that vends that'll bring a dozen or so cheap, small flashlights. When he notices someone starting to look closer at the delis, he'll offer one of those flashlights to use temporarily to view the stock as it's more maneuverable than a phone, it starts the conversation, and encourages them to view other animals he has for sale.

Gevo

Arachnopeon
I was a first-time buyer just a few months ago at a reptile expo, and I have lots to say about the experience. I had done a lot of research on what species I wanted to buy, so I already knew what I was after. What was overwhelming for me was having to try to talk to vendors over a lot of noise and feeling rushed to choose my specimens with tons of people crowding me in. It was so unbelievably busy when I went, and there was nowhere to stop and take my time with the decision. I don't know if it's possible with the space you're given, but having some way of allowing more time/space to look and talk about the purchase would have made a big difference, or if it's not too much of a pain, even a QR code at the table that takes people to a list of species and sizes available there so they can peruse out of the way would be nice.

I ended up buying the two species I went for (a B. hamorii and G. pulchra, both well-started slings/juveniles), but there was another vendor there that I wasn't expecting to see selling tarantulas, and at that table, I was eyeing a G. pulchripes. The reason I didn't buy that one too was because the deli cups at that table didn't feel secure, and it felt like I could have an escape situation in the car on the way home. So, in my case, the deli cups themselves didn't put me off, but seeing one that didn't feel like it closed very tightly did! (I don't know if I can describe it, but it was the sort where the lid just kind of sits inside the rim of the deli cup and doesn't have a lip that goes over top of the deli cup edge.)

The thing that made for the worst part of my expo experience was that there were no enclosures available at that expo.* I couldn't buy ahead without knowing what sized tarantulas I'd be coming home with, and the only vendors selling enclosures were selling large Exo Terras for all the reptiles that were there. I had to order enclosures online and wait for them to come in, and as a newbie taking the dive into the hobby, the inability to get everything I needed in one place so I could feel properly prepared kind of took the shine off of the experience for a while.

*NOTE: This expo didn't do the best job of advertising its vendors. The "vendor list" was a series of vendor shout-out posts on Facebook that you had to go back many weeks to see. One of the vendors (the one with the deli cups that felt a bit dicey) was advertised on Facebook as selling enclosures, but they ended up being a tarantula vendor with no enclosures at all, so part of my frustration was that I did do everything I reasonably could to plan it all out but ended up with some surprises when I got there. I know lots of folks love the expos, and I don't want to knock them because they're great for small sellers and raise funds for good causes, but for the inexperienced, they can have some drawbacks that I don't think are really talked about much, and I'd be hesitant to recommend an expo to another first-time buyer.

Last edited:

DerekG4

Animal Enthusiast
Arachnosupporter
As a fellow vendor, I've moved towards having uniform cups for the most part to have a sleek look. People want to be able to see the spiders, I can say that with confidence. A loos centipede will get peoples attention
Do you use different size deli cups or just all the same style of deli cup? Depending on what I bring I usually have something out like a tailess whip, an Asian forest scorpion or an Arizona blonde. A loose centipede will defin

I don't think this is going to be very helpful to you, but i usually just look at the lists to see if they have what i want and at what price.

I then do the rounds and see if others have them too, do a price comparison and then decide if i want to buy or not.

During the purchase i do a quick check if its looks healthy and if it is the correct species.

@OP and others:
I am curious, if you issued a guess, what percentage of custumers at your stands are likely first time buyers attracted by seeing the spiders in the cups versus those who already know what they want?
Lists? Do the vendors generally have a list on display of what they have? I personally don’t do that (unless someone messages me what I have) but if that’s a thing that’s usually done at expos I’ll definitely do it if it’ll maximize my chances. I’ve seen many experienced hobbyists do that same routine and it’s pretty solid, I do it myself if I happen to be looking for something

I’d say it would really depend on the area and venue but I would say it’s generally as much as 70% brand new to somewhat new keepers. Being that I usually sell at reptile expos (far as I know there’s no invert specific shows in Florida), a lot of people get turned off when they see spiders or other inverts but I also do see many people who have never thought about keeping inverts and end up buying a starter species.

I'd say, just make them comfortable with the viewing process. I'm always a little self-conscious about that. "He thinks I'm just kicking the tires, but not buying anything."
Yea that makes sense, I usually try to start conversation and be friendly with people while they’re viewing the inverts. I don’t blame you, I also do the same thing lol. My only thing with it is I sometimes see people view a single invert and then go away or there’s people that look for a while at multiple species then go away and I always wonder if there was something I could’ve done better with the booth that would’ve made

Interesting ask.... I know someone else that vends that'll bring a dozen or so cheap, small flashlights. When he notices someone starting to look closer at the delis, he'll offer one of those flashlights to use temporarily to view the stock as it's more maneuverable than a phone, it starts the conversation, and encourages them to view other animals he has for sale.
that’s a pretty good idea, I’ll keep that

I was a first-time buyer just a few months ago at a reptile expo, and I have lots to say about the experience. I had done a lot of research on what species I wanted to buy, so I already knew what I was after. What was overwhelming for me was having to try to talk to vendors over a lot of noise and feeling rushed to choose my specimens with tons of people crowding me in. It was so unbelievably busy when I went, and there was nowhere to stop and take my time with the decision. I don't know if it's possible with the space you're given, but having some way of allowing more time/space to look and talk about the purchase would have made a big difference, or if it's not too much of a pain, even a QR code at the table that takes people to a list of species and sizes available there so they can peruse out of the way would be nice.

I ended up buying the two species I went for (a B. hamorii and G. pulchra, both well-started slings/juveniles), but there was another vendor there that I wasn't expecting to see selling tarantulas, and at that table, I was eyeing a G. pulchripes. The reason I didn't buy that one too was because the deli cups at that table didn't feel secure, and it felt like I could have an escape situation in the car on the way home. So, in my case, the deli cups themselves didn't put me off, but seeing one that didn't feel like it closed very tightly did! (I don't know if I can describe it, but it was the sort where the lid just kind of sits inside the rim of the deli cup and doesn't have a lip that goes over top of the deli cup edge.)

The thing that made for the worst part of my expo experience was that there were no enclosures available at that expo.* I couldn't buy ahead without knowing what sized tarantulas I'd be coming home with, and the only vendors selling enclosures were selling large Exo Terras for all the reptiles that were there. I had to order enclosures online and wait for them to come in, and as a newbie taking the dive into the hobby, the inability to get everything I needed in one place so I could feel properly prepared kind of took the shine off of the experience for a while.

*NOTE: This expo didn't do the best job of advertising its vendors. The "vendor list" was a series of vendor shout-out posts on Facebook that you had to go back many weeks to see. One of the vendors (the one with the deli cups that felt a bit dicey) was advertised on Facebook as selling enclosures, but they ended up being a tarantula vendor with no enclosures at all, so part of my frustration was that I did do everything I reasonably could to plan it all out but ended up with some surprises when I got there. I know lots of folks love the expos, and I don't want to knock them because they're great for small sellers and raise funds for good causes, but for the inexperienced, they can have some drawbacks that I don't think are really talked about much, and I'd be hesitant to recommend an expo to another first-time buyer.
That makes a lot sense, there’s times in expos where they’ll be a huge rush of people trying to see what vendors have or they’re trying to buy something and it can make a huge hassle talking to one person at a time thoroughly explaining care while other people are also asking or trying to buy, more so if a vendor (like me) works by him/herself. You’re totally right about a QR code, that would make it much more simple for people that are trying to see exactly what we have and maybe I could even do a separate QR code for care on them if a crowded situation happens.

luckily I always make sure to use tight deli cups for that same reason, I’ve had kids try to open a few of them while their parents weren’t looking (or not even being present) so I always make sure to have pretty tight lids for that reason.

as far as enclosures go, I usually have a couple ready for sale, I don’t usually carry a whole lot only because they take up a lot of space but I bring at least a couple, some even with substrate and decor being completely ready for an invert.

I don’t blame you for the expo, just about anyone should expect a pet expo to have everything you’d need for them to be there (and not be overkill). Sometimes there’ll be miscommunication from the expo with the vendors and they’ll mention they have something they really don’t. Sometimes as well vendors won’t have enclosures or certain things on their booth but if you ask them they sometimes have it under the table or hidden somewhere.

Gevo

Arachnopeon
I would go to an expo again (the experience didn't put me totally off or anything), but I'd been encouraged by several people to wait for the expo to make my first purchase, and I just feel like there are some things new folks need to know going into it that more seasoned hobbyists might not think about.

And I really felt for the vendors. They were taking as much time as they could with people, but I think I happened to go at one of the peak times, which wasn't the best.

One other idea that I'd seen at a plant show with a tarantula vendor present was a colour coding system he used on his labels to make certain choices easier for people who at least had some idea of what they were doing. I think there was different coloured lettering on the species labels for terrestrial, fossorial, and arboreal species, and then there was a green, yellow, or red dot sticker on each cup to signify varying levels of venom potency, so those looking for beginner species could more quickly narrow it down to, say, terrestrial species with green dots.

Ideally, though, people wouldn't go blind into these things in the first place. I would never expect a vendor to be able to tell me everything I need to know in an environment like that!

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Lists? Do the vendors generally have a list on display of what they have? I personally don’t do that (unless someone messages me what I have) but if that’s a thing that’s usually done at expos I’ll definitely do it if it’ll maximize my chances. I’ve seen many experienced hobbyists do that same routine and it’s pretty solid, I do it myself if I happen to be looking for something
yea, just simple print-outs, that allows those who already know what they are searching for to step aside, leaf through the list and then put it back without ever going through the vials/cups one by one.
It also allows you to keep the less visually attractive ones or the bulk below or behind the desk, making room to showcase a few select examples

ordered alphabetically by their scientific binomials ofc, for example:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
female:
0.3 Acanthoscurria geniculata (2,5 cm BL) ......................................15$
male:
5.0 Homeomma chilense (N7) ...................................................70$
1.0 Phormictopus sp. dominican purple (RH Oct/23) ..................10$
unsexed:
0.0.x Acanthoscurria geniculata (N4) ............................................5$
0.0.x Neoholothele incei (N1) .......................................................2$
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(price per animal, imaginary)

Last edited:

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I wanted to ask you guys as buyers, how would you prefer or best recommend to see invertebrates displayed? What do you think will catch your eye the best? My main concern is the comfort of the animal while providing the most amount of visibility. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
As a hobbyist, I prefer to see a printed list of species name, sizes, sex, and prices. I'll ask to see whatever specimen I'm interested in.

As for table to table wandering... I believe the tables with the acrylic shelves with printed photos of the Tarantulas display them better than the tables with the deli cups stacked on top of each other.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Around 15% I’d say, but of the newcomers there are two types. People that want us to recommend a tarantula that is to start with, or people that are dead set on a T seladonia, adult G pulchra, B smithi, something really specific and they will not even consider anything else
Do you use different size deli cups or just all the same style of deli cup? Depending on what I bring I usually have something out like a tailess whip, an Asian forest scorpion or an Arizona blonde. A loose centipede will defin

I’d say it would really depend on the area and venue but I would say it’s generally as much as 70% brand new to somewhat new keepers. Being that I usually sell at reptile expos (far as I know there’s no invert specific shows in Florida), a lot of people get turned off when they see spiders or other inverts but I also do see many people who have never thought about keeping inverts and end up buying a starter species.

Yea that makes sense, I usually try to start conversation and be friendly with people while they’re viewing the inverts. I don’t blame you, I also do the same thing lol. My only thing with it is I sometimes see people view a single invert and then go away or there’s people that look for a while at multiple species then go away and I always wonder if there was something I could’ve done better with the booth that would’ve made

that’s a pretty good idea, I’ll keep that

That makes a lot sense, there’s times in expos where they’ll be a huge rush of people trying to see what vendors have or they’re trying to buy something and it can make a huge hassle talking to one person at a time thoroughly explaining care while other people are also asking or trying to buy, more so if a vendor (like me) works by him/herself. You’re totally right about a QR code, that would make it much more simple for people that are trying to see exactly what we have and maybe I could even do a separate QR code for care on them if a crowded situation happens.

luckily I always make sure to use tight deli cups for that same reason, I’ve had kids try to open a few of them while their parents weren’t looking (or not even being present) so I always make sure to have pretty tight lids for that reason.

as far as enclosures go, I usually have a couple ready for sale, I don’t usually carry a whole lot only because they take up a lot of space but I bring at least a couple, some even with substrate and decor being completely ready for an invert.

I don’t blame you for the expo, just about anyone should expect a pet expo to have everything you’d need for them to be there (and not be overkill). Sometimes there’ll be miscommunication from the expo with the vendors and they’ll mention they have something they really don’t. Sometimes as well vendors won’t have enclosures or certain things on their booth but if you ask them they sometimes have it under the table or hidden somewhere.
Usually 16oz deli cups for most things, small slings in 2-4oz delis, true spiders or larger juvie/adults are in other enclosures
As a hobbyist, I prefer to see a printed list of species name, sizes, sex, and prices. I'll ask to see whatever specimen I'm interested in.

As for table to table wandering... I believe the tables with the acrylic shelves with printed photos of the Tarantulas display them better than the tables with the deli cups stacked on top of each other.
Good to know

sparticus

Arachnoknight
As a customer I like the super clear deli cups, I think you can find them in restaurant supply type stores. It's nice to be able to see what's in there before you commit to buying. I also like the tables with display pictures of what the adult animals will look like. I already know what adults will look like for the species I'm shopping for, but a nice color pic is gonna make a way nicer display than a bunch of little brown slings in vials.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
yea, just simple print-outs, that allows those who already know what they are searching for to step aside, leaf through the list and then put it back without ever going through the vials/cups one by one.
It also allows you to keep the less visually attractive ones or the bulk below or behind the desk, making room to showcase a few select examples

ordered alphabetically by their scientific binomials ofc, for example:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
female:
0.3 Acanthoscurria geniculata (2,5 cm BL) ......................................15$
male:
5.0 Homeomma chilense (N7) ...................................................70$
1.0 Phormictopus sp. dominican purple (RH Oct/23) ..................10$
unsexed:
0.0.x Acanthoscurria geniculata (N4) ............................................5$
0.0.x Neoholothele incei (N1) .......................................................2$
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(price per animal, imaginary)
Good God I'm moving to Austria. Those prices are crazy low to me.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Good God I'm moving to Austria. Those prices are crazy low to me.
they are made up, but not too far from the truth :singing:

i see it a bit as a double edged sword since they do attract more cutomers, but on the flipside the effort is usually reflected in the prices...

for this reason i am acctually unsure which would be the better sales strategy, as browsing a list may result in less impulse buys. You guys will know better.

in any case, a good visual display in clear, uniform cups/tubs (labled) speaks to a well organised seller, which in turn gives the buyer a good first impression.

Last edited:

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
they are made up, but not to far from the truth :singing:

i see it a bit as a double edged sword since they do attract more cutomers, but on the flipside the effort is usually reflected in the prices...

for this reason i am acctually unsure which would be the better sales strategy, as browsing a list may result in less impulse buys. You guys will know better.

in any case, a good visual display in clear, uniform cups/tubs (labled) speaks to a well organised seller, which in turn gives the buyer a good first impression.
Oh I see....just a tease....🤣🤣

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello everyone!

I have a side business in breeding and selling invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians and I regularly go to conventions like Repticon.

I've been (as well as many other local breeders) using deli cups and sometimes vials to house tarantulas, spiders, centipedes, millipedes, isopods and other inverts, but the biggest problem I get with deli cups is that even the most transparent deli cup is a little hazy, not to mention I also add a thin layer of damp substrate for their comfort but unfortunately causes a bit of condensation in the cup and reduces visibility drastically. Combined with being on a black table that most people have to either bend over or pick up the cup to see the invert (which usually can take them 5-20 seconds before they finally see it) I’m sure it can get a little annoying and makes people lose interest fairly quickly. Even though all the cups are tagged with their common and Latin name, a good amount of people don’t know exactly how it’s supposed to look and/or they’re curious to see how the specimen looks.

Been going to reptile shows longer than most peeps here, nothing better than deli cups for many reasons.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Listen as long as the containers are CLEAN I don't really care what the spider is in. Went to an expo a couple weeks ago with my buddy and he bought a crested gecko in a plastic takeout container that looked like the vendor had used it for leftovers previously. As long as the containers are clean and the table is organized I don't care.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I work with a dealer and the way he/we display Ts (especially slings) is so good everybody is stealing it.