Display cube question

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What's the best way to put holes into those display cubes many people use for arboreals without cracking it?

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I would take a nail and, while holding it with pliers, stick it in a flame to warm it up and then poke the holes. Not the neatest or prettiest way to do it, but it gets the job done.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can use a drill but you have to go slow. Also, you can try using packing tape, then drilling (still need to go slow though).

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can use a drill but you have to go slow. Also, you can try using packing tape, then drilling (still need to go slow though).
I did it this way. Used a carbon bit after I placed masking tape where the hole was to go (it helps keep the bit from slipping). Go slow.

Pacmaster

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Id say the slow drill gives the best, cleanest hole.

Those cubes are cheap, get one(or similar plastic) and use it for practice.
Once you get it, its easy.
Gotta kinda start out fast, then drill slow thru it.

I used to melt the holes, but you get a big unsightly ring of melted plastic around each hole that sometimes cannot be removed.

IME, tape aint gonna stop chipping and cracking- thats caused by not having a solid surface to drill into.

There is a special plastic drill bit that you could buy, but it wont completely solve the issue.
That styrene plastic is brittle . . .

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Id say the slow drill gives the best, cleanest hole.

Those cubes are cheap, get one(or similar plastic) and use it for practice.
Once you get it, its easy.
Gotta kinda start out fast, then drill slow thru it.

I used to melt the holes, but you get a big unsightly ring of melted plastic around each hole that sometimes cannot be removed.

IME, tape aint gonna stop chipping and cracking- thats caused by not having a solid surface to drill into.

There is a special plastic drill bit that you could buy, but it wont completely solve the issue.
That styrene plastic is brittle . . .
Tape isn't supposed to stop chipping and cracking. It's there to keep the bit from slipping all over the plastic while you try to drill through it.

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some people melt them in with a soldering gun.

Soldering gun works amazing. You can get one for like $5 at wal mart or home depot or lowes or wherever. Doesn't need to be nice. Each hole only takes a second or two, and unless you mess up, all the holes are pretty much the same size.

Oh and do it outside, though. It smells awful (if there was a smiley for "gagging" or "choking," I'd type that right here.)

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i personally bought a soldering iron from wal mart, it has a "hot knife attachment " and i just cut a perfect circle with it around the already made circle indetion. i then cut a piece of screen to fit and hot glue it in place. hold on and il post apic.

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The only problem I have had drilling that type of plastic is using a drill bit that is too large. I use about an 1/8" drill bit, and I don't have any problems. I can go as fast as I can without any cracking.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The only problem I have had drilling that type of plastic is using a drill bit that is too large. I use about an 1/8" drill bit, and I don't have any problems. I can go as fast as I can without any cracking.
That is what I did as well. I have to say I really like codykrr's idea. That looks nice and gives ample amounts of ventilation.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i started doing this because i was to lazy to drill holes and to drill enough for ample ventalation is just time consuming. s i bought he screen for 6 bucks(fiber glass/plastic coated) and the soldering gun with the "hot knife" attachment(about 20 bucks) but is better in the long run. also normally i put the screen on the outside because it makes glueing easeir but it truely doesnt matter. makes misting a breeze too! i have yet to convert all my cube over yet as you can see but im still working on it. it usally takes me from start to finish(with soldering un warm up time) 5 min each...or about 5 in 30 minutes. but thats soking ciggs between each one dang near too.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you use a good sharp drill bit and dont put alot of pressure on it you wont have any problems. Just nice clean holes.