Different food reactions

TRection

Arachnoknight
What are your experiences with using different food items? For the longest time i only used super worms to feed my T and always got the same reaction. I would crush its head and toss it in, she would walk up to it strike at in once and then just gently pick it up and crawl off into her hide with it. Last week she had stopped eating all together and i thought maybe there was something wrong or maybe she was getting board of the worms again(this has happened a few times where she no longer accepts the worms and i have to switch it up for her to start eating again).
So i went and bought crickets and oh man i really think i need to reevaluate my feeder situation. I get by far the best reactions when using crickets, she really full on attacks them and the take downs are amazing. the other day i had dropped a cricket in, it jumped off a fake plant and she caught it mid-air. Then she will either walk around and eat them out in the open or do the happy dance (neither of which she ever does with the superworms). Do you also see different reactions to different foods with your Ts? and why do you think that is?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
My Ts eat every prey I offer apart from my newest T (Sadly a Boehmei hybrid) I'm feeding them mealworms at the moment, so new the T usually only eats them if I tong feed them or he just runs away from it.

JohnR

Arachnopeon
I've tried mealworms, crickets, red runners and dubias and so far none of the Ts I have refused them, unless they're in pre-molt...

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I use mealworms, red runners and superworms.

I don't have issues with any but red runners get the best reaction as they move the most, in some cases I've just been stood there watching Ts chase them around the whole enclosure.

I had some that were a bit finicky about taking dubias but I don't really use them anymore.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
All three of my E. Sp. Red tend to avoid crickets which is why i now only feed them superworms.

My E. Sp. Yellow slings actually seem to prefer the full prekilled cricket (larger slings that molted recently) or half a cricket (smaller slings that have yet to molt). All five tend to turn away from chopped up mealworms.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Don't bother crushing the heads if you're right there watching. Just grab it if it's getting away.

My terrestrials love nightcrawlers, my Poecilotheria hate them. But my Avics and Psalmos don't mind then as much
IMG_20171114_171002230.jpg
(Worm cut in half)

Mila

Arachnoknight
the "happy dance" is just the T laying down new webbing destroyed by jumping on and tackling the prey. they wont do this with the super worms because you crush the heads and they dont move so why waste energy pouncing on something that moves slowly

Adam96

Arachnosquire
Don't bother crushing the heads if you're right there watching. Just grab it if it's getting away.

My terrestrials love nightcrawlers, my Poecilotheria hate them. But my Avics and Psalmos don't mind then as much
View attachment 257921
(Worm cut in half)
do you use store bought nightcrawlers or do you find them out side?

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Typically I see a more exciting attack with crickets. Some Ts seem to get "tired" of superworms or dubias, so I go to crickets for a while. Also a few of my Ts have always refused dubias.