did some pairing last night

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Brachypelma vagans sac pulled!

Well just got done with the 6 hour long job of seperating slings from the sac and into the incubator. They are all 1st instars, and in good shape! There wasnt quite as many as i thought there would be, but still great numbers. Nevermind the one incubator pic. I accidentily spilled some water into one of the cups while pouring it in the bottom of the incubator. I made coco fiber and slings splosh all over the place, and had to do a quick half attempted cleanup. They will be just fine.

web eviction

Arachnolord
Awesome stuff bro! Haha you got a lot of little ones running around! My ornata ewls are finally darkening up... Hoping the C. elegans sac and irminia sac go smoother lol

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hapalopus sp. Columbia Large molting to 2nd instar!

These little guys are just about ready to go!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah they are a pretty awesome species. Too bad my Columbia Small female died :(. But hopefully ill get another one later on. Good luck with your sacs bro!

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Have you paired the MM P. striata I sent you with any of your girls yet? I was wondering if he was up to doing the deed...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well he cohabbed with one female for 3 weeks, and has been in with the other female for a week! I havent seen any pairing yet. He is one of those males that likes to sit still and not do much. But im sure they had to of done something in the middle of the night. I caught him and the female sitting side by side the other night with legs overlapping lol.
Have you paired the MM P. striata I sent you with any of your girls yet? I was wondering if he was up to doing the deed...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Well he cohabbed with one female for 3 weeks, and has been in with the other female for a week! I havent seen any pairing yet. He is one of those males that likes to sit still and not do much. But im sure they had to of done something in the middle of the night. I caught him and the female sitting side by side the other night with legs overlapping lol.
Everyone has their own way of doing it. I put my male Poecs in for one night; in after dark and out in the morning. That's after seeing both parties beginning courtship. I don't see how you can have two horny Poecs together in close proximity overnight and not have a pairing. They're like teenagers: alone in the dark and passion will take over. If it doesn't happen then, it's probably not going to. 10 hours is plenty, and if I want to make sure her spermathaeca are full, I'll put him in for a night a week or two later. In the wild, I would think that males would move on and look for more females, which would probably do more for the species than to repeatedly mate with the same female. What I've read about communally-kept Poecs, maturing males are typically the ones that get killed by the others.

I know breeders want to ensure that they get good sacs (me included), but personally I can't see where weeks of cohabitating are useful. Everybody can do what they want with their spiders, but extended pairings often result in the male getting eaten when he wears out his welcome, and I'd rather send him off on a breeding loan or keep him (alone and safe) so that's he's available in case the female (or another female of that species) molts. To me, that's the best way to ensure that I get a sac. After his first night, he may not be doing anything productive. I'd rather give them a break, and re-pair them later to rekindle the passion. Food for thought.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I understand and for the most part completely agree with you. Most the time i will pair them, then remove the male. However i havent seen any pairing so just left him in. Sometimes i will do multiple pairings and then retire/sell/trade the male. And sometimes i will just leave the male in with the female to be eaten. Which frees up time/space. I was actually getting ready to pull him and place him up for resale. It all depends on if the male is a species thats rare, hard to find, or very easy to find, or if nobody is interested in one. Ill more than likely get him pulled very soon though. Was actually planning on doing that a few days ago, and forgot.
Everyone has their own way of doing it. I put my male Poecs in for one night; in after dark and out in the morning. That's after seeing both parties beginning courtship. I don't see how you can have two horny Poecs together in close proximity overnight and not have a pairing. They're like teenagers: alone in the dark and passion will take over. If it doesn't happen then, it's probably not going to. 10 hours is plenty, and if I want to make sure her spermathaeca are full, I'll put him in for a night a week or two later. In the wild, I would think that males would move on and look for more females, which would probably do more for the species than to repeatedly mate with the same female. What I've read about communally-kept Poecs, maturing males are typically the ones that get killed by the others.

I know breeders want to ensure that they get good sacs (me included), but personally I can't see where weeks of cohabitating are useful. Everybody can do what they want with their spiders, but extended pairings often result in the male getting eaten when he wears out his welcome, and I'd rather send him off on a breeding loan or keep him (alone and safe) so that's he's available in case the female (or another female of that species) molts. To me, that's the best way to ensure that I get a sac. After his first night, he may not be doing anything productive. I'd rather give them a break, and re-pair them later to rekindle the passion. Food for thought.

---------- Post added 07-29-2013 at 10:40 PM ----------

Id like to also add, that the Brachypelma vagans sac contained 680 good 1st instar!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
However i havent seen any pairing so just left him in.
In all the Poec pairings I've done (including almost 20 this summer) I've never actually seen them mate, as I introduce them at night and the courtship goes on and on...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can understand that. I usually pair them during the day time. I always sit and watch so i can get a pic to add to the thread. If nothing happens, i leave them together for a few hours, or overnight. I recently left a mature male P. fasciata overnight, and he was gone the next day.
In all the Poec pairings I've done (including almost 20 this summer) I've never actually seen them mate, as I introduce them at night and the courtship goes on and on...

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well. Today is not a good day. Im pretty tore up. Not only did i have 2 wisdom teeth cut out yesterday, but this morning i find my female Idiothele mira with no sac. She has eaten it. Dealing with this ruins the hobby so badly. I would rather lose a P. metallica sac. But of course the sac that i was looking forward to more than any, is now gone. I would rather pull the sac on day 30 and have a dud sac. Atleast that way i "know". But since she ate her sac, ill never know what was inside that thing. Makes me sick. If i ever get another sac out of her, the day the sac is all done and ready to start the waiting process, the female will be pulled and seperated from the sac. Uhhhh. Just want to go punch her right now.

Waxen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Condolences man. That's a tough pill to swallow for sure but I know you'll bounce back with the next go round.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks bro. It is pretty hard. Especially since i wanted to produce this species very badly. Maybe next time though.
Condolences man. That's a tough pill to swallow for sure but I know you'll bounce back with the next go round.

CLICKBANGBANG

Arachnopeon
Wow. Awesome thread.

Out of all of the Ts you've worked with, which are the simplest to breed? Are there a few that you have good success breeding consistently? I can't imagine the work that goes into caring for that many Ts. :o_O:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thank you very much :).

I think that Poecilotheria and Tapinauchenius are really easy. Atleast most of the species. I am having great success with Ceratogyrus darlingi. My female produced a sac, then double clutched, molted, and now is about to drop another sac. Yeah its a heck of alot of work. But just think my collection is tiny compared to some peoples.
Wow. Awesome thread.

Out of all of the Ts you've worked with, which are the simplest to breed? Are there a few that you have good success breeding consistently? I can't imagine the work that goes into caring for that many Ts. :o_O:

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 12:51 AM ----------

I had a male kick the female out of her hide. He was very aggressive. She ended up building a web hammock in the top corner of the exo terra. I kept tearing it down cause i did not want her to make her home there. Once the male was done and passed on for another female, i got my female to rehome in her hide lol. Then she gave me a nice sac!
Pterinochilus murinus, very easy to breed and they often double clutch. Females aren't aggressive to the males.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus irminia

This is my smaller female with a male on loan from CRose801. He got in 1 good insertion after alot of foreplay.