Deworming a scorpion by drowning?

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Someone is asking how to deworm a scorpion without killing it. I know that horse hair worms can be extracted from the host by submerging the host under water. Certain scorpion species can live for hours and even days under water and can be revived after losing consciousness simply by drying them out (like a centipede). Depending on the species of scorpion and the species of nematode this might be a viable way to deworm invertebrates. I am aware that mantis keepers already use this technique on horse hair worms. What are your thoughts?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I can't recall any instances of parasite worms and scorpions in my experience. Learned something new today.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can't speak for nematodes, but horse hair worms require water to complete their life cycle. They force their host to go to water where they likely drown and the worm emerges from the abdomen. It has been documented in orthopteroid insects but not any other groups that I'm aware of.

Are there pictures of the scorps with nematodes? I'd be curious to see what that looks like! It may give some clues on treatment as well.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
That's the stuff of nightmares. Just imagine a 15ft long one of those coming out of a human? Hello idea for an alien horror novel.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I didn't know most scorpions had worms...
I can't speak for nematodes, but horse hair worms require water to complete their life cycle. They force their host to go to water where they likely drown and the worm emerges from the abdomen. It has been documented in orthopteroid insects but not any other groups that I'm aware of.

Are there pictures of the scorps with nematodes? I'd be curious to see what that looks like! It may give some clues on treatment as well.
Someone on a FB forum was asking for help after the received 3 "gravid" C. sculturatus and two of them died. They preformed a necropsy and found them both to be full of nematodes. They didn't post any pics. This is the first time I heard of it too. Some of the comments were pretty grim and they told them there was no way to cure the third scorpion. I remembered the video about the horse hair worms and thought that maybe it was worth a shot since everyone else said the scorpion was doomed.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Someone on a FB forum was asking for help after the received 3 "gravid" C. sculturatus and two of them died. They preformed a necropsy and found them both to be full of nematodes. They didn't post any pics. This is the first time I heard of it too. Some of the comments were pretty grim and they told them there was no way to cure the third scorpion. I remembered the video about the horse hair worms and thought that maybe it was worth a shot since everyone else said the scorpion was doomed.
That's nuts! Certainly couldn't hurt to try. I guess it's a safe bet that anything that comes in WC will have at least a decent parasite load, so it becomes the question of how easily the parasites spread to other individuals in the same genus or if it can jump to others.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
Supposedly it is safe for crustaceans if directions are followed, so maybe it is safe for all arthropods?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Someone is asking how to deworm a scorpion without killing it. I know that horse hair worms can be extracted from the host by submerging the host under water. Certain scorpion species can live for hours and even days under water and can be revived after losing consciousness simply by drying them out (like a centipede). Depending on the species of scorpion and the species of nematode this might be a viable way to deworm invertebrates. I am aware that mantis keepers already use this technique on horse hair worms. What are your thoughts?

That's the stuff of nightmares. Just imagine a 15ft long one of those coming out of a human? Hello idea for an alien horror novel.
A shame the host of horsehair worms seem to never survive, though given the size of the parasite it's not really a surprise. It must literally tear apart the poor mantis (or whatever host).

I have seen that video many times over the years and it never gets any less disturbing.

@DubiaW Not so sure submerging in water would work if the parasite does not require water to continue its life cycle the way a horsehair worm does.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
A shame the host of horsehair worms seem to never survive, though given the size of the parasite it's not really a surprise. It must literally tear apart the poor mantis (or whatever host).

I have seen that video many times over the years and it never gets any less disturbing.

@DubiaW Not so sure submerging in water would work if the parasite does not require water to continue its life cycle the way a horsehair worm does.
Do you know of another way to deworm a scorpion?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Do you know of another way to deworm a scorpion?
Not offhand.

I am not trying to blow holes in your theory just stating that parasites vary significantly so what might work for one won't necessarily work for another.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Not offhand.

I am not trying to blow holes in your theory just stating that parasites vary significantly so what might work for one won't necessarily work for another.
It's more of a shot in the dark. I figured it might not work on certain parasites. No one else had an answer. It's worth a shot. I don't personally have a worm affected scorpion on hand to experiment on and this is the first instance I have heard of someone actually diagnosing a scorpion with worms. I do appreciate your input on this BTW. I'm aware that sometimes my thinking is a little out of the box.