Delayed package..

SubtleButt

Arachnopeon
Hello all, newbie here

I ordered 1" LP and 2" A. Geniculata last week. They were supposed to arrive Saturday but my guess is that I'll be getting them tomorrow (they were shipped on Wednesday).

The weather here has been pretty stable (around 40 F) and I know that they were shipped with a heat pack.

I don't know if I should remain hopeful or just accept that they're gone already.

I was just wondering if anyone had similar experiences or stories to give me hope that at least one of them is alive.

Thanks

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
No one can tell you yes or no but there is definitely hope. I wouldn’t be surprised wither way. Ts are pretty amazing when it comes to surviving this stuff. Either way, good luck!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Be hopeful, and think positive!

So that you can be ready for either scenarios.

And yes, tarantulas are real survivors!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Why the long shipping time?.If they were shipped on Wednesday,i would expect at least to get them on Friday.This is
assuming you didn't opt for overnight.Was it FedEx??.That said,with good packaging,they can,and do survive longer
transit times than you might think.My guess is they will be ok.Good luck,and if possible,always do overnight.

SubtleButt

Arachnopeon
Why the long shipping time?.If they were shipped on Wednesday,i would expect at least to get them on Friday.This is
assuming you didn't opt for overnight.Was it FedEx??.That said,with good packaging,they can,and do survive longer
transit times than you might think.My guess is they will be ok.Good luck,and if possible,always do overnight.
Overnight wasn't an option but there's still LAG for the shipping method I chose.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As long as they are properly packaged, there's a good chance that they'll be fine. Last year I ordered 5 M. balfouri slings. They were supposed to be shipped overnight on a Monday for Tuesday delivery. The seller was late dropping off the package and missed the deadline for overnight delivery, bumping the package to second-day. Then there was some unkown carrier delay so they didn't arrive on Wednesday - and Thursday was a holiday so there was no mail delivery. While temperatures here were ok, if slightly coolish, temperatures along the shipping route (including the last-known tracking location) were below freezing - and they were shipped without a heat pack. This was my first (and so far, only) tarantula delivery, so by the time they arrived on Friday I was expecting to open a box of dead spiders - but they were all ok. All five were active, settled in to their new communal enclosure quickly, had great appetites - and are still thriving. I just saw a couple of them out last night munching on some crickets.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I've seen some crazy "lost in the mail, arrived alive anyway" stories. I think @cold blood has one but I'm not positive.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
As long as they're properly packed, it shouldn't be a problem. I've had Ts stuck at customs for over a week and received several parcels that have used a week or so to arrive with the snail mail we have here. The only one that has been dead on arrival were a small Avic freebie.

Vandertern

Arachnopeon
In September my 2'' L.P. was in the post for 8 days with no heat pack but well insulated (Poland to Ireland). It was fine, just a bit slow to emerge from the packing.

Tomorrow morning I'm expecting a P. Reduncus to arrive having been in transit since last Monday (same seller)

It arrived in Dublin on Friday evening and has been sitting in the mail centre since then.
Temps haven't dropped below 5c here yet so I fully expect it to be fine....but I am hoping it has been shipped with a heat pack this time.

cold blood

Staff member
As long as you are in a warm climate you are fine.:astonished:

Well that is often the sentiment, but its really not true. Its in a post office (fed ex bldg, same thing), inside a heated facility waiting to be delivered...heck even if its lost, you can still count on it being inside a building somewhere.

Heat packs after this amount of time will be long dead, so frankly its no different if they are there or not IMO..

As long as they are packed fine, I wouldn't be at all concerned, they should be just fine when they arrive tomorrow.

One fall I had a fairly large package get lost in the mail over the weekend....it was located on Monday and finally delivered on Tuesday....everything was still alive and the MM even produced several sacs.....although he arrived practically bald...lol.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good luck, I hope they arrive safely. I ordered some tarantulas last week thru the classifieds here (paid Tuesday evening) and the seller was supposed to ship Thursday but haven't heard from him since. Not returning text messages, not responding to emails (thru AB), no tracking # provided. I never received my package. He only lives 45 min from me but insisted on shipping (he would cover the shipping costs) due to his hectic schedule :rolleyes:. I've filed a claim thru Paypal's Resolution Center but I won't get my money back until the end of the month probably.

Anyway, I've had delays with packages before and they've all arrived safely except for one freebie sling. One molted during transit and lost a pedipalp but is fine otherwise.

SubtleButt

Arachnopeon
Good luck, I hope they arrive safely. I ordered some tarantulas last week thru the classifieds here (paid Tuesday evening) and the seller was supposed to ship Thursday but haven't heard from him since. Not returning text messages, not responding to emails (thru AB), no tracking # provided. I never received my package. He only lives 45 min from me but insisted on shipping (he would cover the shipping costs) due to his hectic schedule :rolleyes:. I've filed a claim thru Paypal's Resolution Center but I won't get my money back until the end of the month probably.

Anyway, I've had delays with packages before and they've all arrived safely except for one freebie sling. One molted during transit and lost a pedipalp but is fine otherwise.
Good luck with your situation, too!

Levi The Human

Arachnopeon
the seller was supposed to ship Thursday but haven't heard from him since. Not returning text messages, not responding to emails (thru AB), no tracking # provided. I never received my package.
Yikes! I am ready to place my first T order via the classifieds here. Hope I choose wisely. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Seems like a great bunch here, hopefully there’s a good reason for the problems on the other end of your transaction.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yikes! I am ready to place my first T order via the classifieds here. Hope I choose wisely. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Seems like a great bunch here, hopefully there’s a good reason for the problems on the other end of your transaction.
I've had great experiences with other sellers here. This was the first one.

SubtleButt

Arachnopeon
GREAT NEWS
They both arrived alive and well! Everything inside the box was cold at first so I was very nervous but oh man so relieved.

Thanks for all the replies!