C.Fasciatum? - no
A.Brocklehursti? - no
So I guess I'm getting something from Aviculara or Grammastola

blckwidow75

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bpkid said:
So I guess I'm getting something from Aviculara or Grammastola
I would definitely recommend G. Pulchra - you can't go wrong there! Can I also suggest B. Emilia? My very favorite T is a B. Emilia female and she is beautiful, sweet, and never flicked hairs at me. The hair-flicking thing isn't so bad though, no need to wear goggles. Just make sure to wash your hands afterwards or else you'll be itchy, that's all. Good luck deciding. Warning though - My G. Rosea died in Sept of 2003 and I just wanted a G. Pulchra to replace him and that's all. I now have 19. It's obviously a very addicting hobby....ask anyone on the boards! {D

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Keep in mind that anything from Avicularia is an arboreal T. You might want to try that as your second T just for that reason. :D However, people seem to have trouble with Avic slings suddenly dying on them.

I wouldn't recommend you get the B. boehmi, it's pretty well known for being one of the more nervous brachy's. Mine kicked hairs at me when I was either changing it's water dish or feediing it once.

The scientific name for the Green Bottle Blue is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens.

I'd probably be inclined to get the Grammastola pulchra or an Avic. The G Pulchara is a solid black T, and it's on my wishlist.

I started out with a PZB, and she is the sweetest, most docile T I have. she's never kicked hairs at me, she's just laid down a few on webbing she was putting out. Other people have also held her.

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would also highly recommend Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, also known as the Greenbottle Blue. Although they can be skittish and love to flick hairs, they are extremely docile in addition to being quite beautiful. Anyways, I hope you are happy with whatever species you wish to choose. :)

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"I want to enjoy the tarantula by watching it,and handling it.Like I said before,I probably won't handle it more than 3 times a week."

Correct me if I am wrong but I am unfamiliar of any "T" that fits the handling criteria

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gbb = docile eeek mine trys to eat my hand!
I think personally you should get a G. pulchra , a G. aureostriata and a Curly hair. I have never had a prob with our curly hair and all three are quite hardy. I would leave the versis for future T's coz they arent the easiest slings to look after.
Good luck.xxxxx

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ottawaherp said:
"I want to enjoy the tarantula by watching it,and handling it.Like I said before,I probably won't handle it more than 3 times a week."

Correct me if I am wrong but I am unfamiliar of any "T" that fits the handling criteria
Ok,how about once a week?

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bpkid said:
Ok,how about once a week?

Generally speaking tarantulas are "look but don't touch" pets. Handling will stress them. They gain nothing beneficial from it. People still handle because thats their choice to take the risks that go along with it(potentially being bitten, the T escaping and/or harming and killing the T). You need to get the recommended books then you and your mother need to start reading. All the answers to most of what you want to know are found in those books and in more concise terms then you will find on a Q&A forum. Its becoming apparent that you are a bit young so your mother or another responsible adult should be involved in your prospective new hobby. If that can't be arranged then maybe you need to hold off on getting a tarantula until you are older.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Go with the G. pulchra for your second T, I dont know about GBB being docile, mine is very defensive and skittish. but at the same time they are very beautiful, just leave them alone and their fine.

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok,so know I understand that they are strictly look don't touch animals.I am fine with that.Yes,I am younger,so my mom will help me out,even though she is afraid,we also have a friend who wouldn't mind helping out.I will probably get the books for my birthday next month.Until then,I am doing the best I can to find care sheets and things like that to get ready.Thank you for helping me out.I appreciate it.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You seem very interested in the handling part. If handling your pet is a must, perhaps a reptile would better suit your herp interests for now. This would give you a hands on type of pet, in a similar type of setup to get you more familiar with herps in general.

A "T" is a facinating pet to watch behind glass, as far as handling goes I wouldn't recommend it for the beginner. As the beginner would not be familiar as to how to react or what to expect, should the "T" no longer be content sitting in the palm of your hand, and quickly shoot up your arm.

I no longer handle my "T's", and they are quite content to be left in thier little worlds.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ottawaherp, Bpkid has 2 or three herps, already :p

He has a ball python, a leo and possibly something else. I don't recall. :}

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Schlyne said:
Ottawaherp, Bpkid has 2 or three herps, already :p

He has a ball python, a leo and possibly something else. I don't recall. :}
Yup.A leopard gecko and ball python.

I don't have to handle it.

Bpkid said:
Ok,so know I understand that they are strictly look don't touch animals.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I don't think anyone can go wrong with G.pulchra.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You just had to make me drool,didn't you? Just kidding ;)

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Now since I know not to hold them,I am thinking of other species.Any other ones that aren't handling T's?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bpkid said:
Ok,so know I understand that they are strictly look don't touch animals.I am fine with that.Yes,I am younger,so my mom will help me out,even though she is afraid,we also have a friend who wouldn't mind helping out.I will probably get the books for my birthday next month.Until then,I am doing the best I can to find care sheets and things like that to get ready.Thank you for helping me out.I appreciate it.
First off don't let anyone tell you that T's are a look but don't touch animal,if that is how they feel that is fine but they should not be saying that is the way it should be as everyone is entitled to there own opinion... if you want to hold them then just learn everything you can (make sure you know the risks to both you and the T... getting bit, being haired are the two you would have to worry about, falling or jumping off you hand can be fatal for the T also if you are bit your reaction may be to fling the T which would all most certain be fatal for the T) and take in to account that they do have there days that they want to be left alone, get a docile species like you are already intending to do but just because it is a docile species does not mean that one in particular will be docile, always hold them close to the ground in an open uncluttered space, so if they fall or jump off your hand they will not be harmed and will not have a place to escape to, give them the respect they deserve and learn how they will react and you will do fine, last note depending on how young you are you should either have an adult there or maybe hold off holding them until you are old or mature enough to handle the reasonability. Good luck, Greg

Last edited:

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
First off don't let anyone tell you that T's are a look but don't touch animal,if that is how they feel that is fine but they should not be saying that is the way it should be as everyone is entitled to there own opinion... if you want to hold them then just learn everything you can (make sure you know the risks to both you and the T... getting bit, being haired are the two you would have to worry about, falling or jumping off you hand can be fatal for the T also if you are bit your reaction may be to fling the T which would all most certain be fatal for the T) and take in to account that they do have there days that they want to be left alone, get a docile species like you are already intending to do but just because it is a docile species does not mean that one in particular will be docile, always hold them close to the ground in an open uncluttered space, so if they fall or jump off your hand they will not be harmed and will not have a place to escape to, give them the respect they deserve and learn how they will react and you will do fine, last note depending on how young you are you should either have an adult there or maybe hold off holding them until you are old or mature enough to handle the reasonability. Good luck, Greg
I undserstand not all of them will be docile.I would wear gloves,is that okay?Also,I would probably handle them in the enclosure so if it falls,it would be a small fall.

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's a lovely pulchra, Mendi. :) Your right, if you can get a good price on one get it. You won't be disappointed. :D

Bpkid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nowhereman said:
That's a lovely pulchra, Mendi. :) Your right, if you can get a good price on one get it. You won't be disappointed. :D
Is $28 a good price for a 3/4" one?Is that considered a sling?