Deciding on a millipede

maxpede

Arachnopeon
Very true! One of the mysteries of millipedes is their personalities and ability over choice. I don’t think people realize how they are able to actually take interest in things, which is certainly why your millipedes eat selectively. Mine were impressed young to eat cucumber, so they don’t know much of anything else. I would like to note that when it comes to the calcium, it’s only supposed to be a few grains spread around on each level that I described. Like I said, in no way should it be saturated. You really shouldn’t be able to even see the calcium unless you’re looking for it. I like to spread it out through the layers so that they can benefit even when they’re molting, depending on the species. I am not sure what kind of millipedes you have, but for my exotic species that require heat pads the moss works excellently. I have a screen lid with a layer of plastic wrap on the outside, taped on with black electrical tape. When you soak the moss and put it in the tank, the plastic wrap keeps the moisture in and if you cycle the heat pad (on in the morning off at night) it kind of rains like it would in nature. I try to keep everything natural, so having a cycle of moisture without having to mist yourself is definitely beneficial, especially where it isn’t saturating the tank. Also, when you soak the moss, do NOT wring out the water. Just hold it in the bowl upside down until all of the water comes out or else it’ll lose shape and quality. Hope I helped someone here :)
super helpful. i did not know about the moss

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I went with seven initially. My reasoning was that I wanted six, so I bought seven in case one got sick or died. I have an enclosure that is 12" x 12" and at their size (about an inch and a half so far) do very well. My suggestion to you would be the following;

- 6 Ivory millipedes
- Live frog moss (because I agree with Erin, live "plants" are too difficult but moss fits perfectly)
- 5 to 10-gallon tank (2.5 to 3 inches of substrate to start)
- Organic cucumbers
- Decomposed oak wood
- Calcium
- Enough money to buy 25 other species of millipedes once you fall in love with the first ones

Good luck! I'm excited for you!
BugsinCyberspace is a very good option for everything. For these millipedes, I would buy two bags of the mixed $17 bags of substrate there. It will cost you $34 and will be just enough to fill up the tank to where you need it to be. The oak wood comes with it so it's definitely worth it.
That's hysterical but oh-so-true! It is also spot on for the most important things you need.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I put pieces of cuttlefish bone in my isopod enclosures about 6 months ago. Every time I check on them, they are swarming the cuttlefish. Since they both (isopod and millipede) have exoskeletons and are detritivores, I would guess their needs for calcium are similar.

I have a "calcium jar" to which I constantly add a variety of sources of calcium. I started it with oyster shell flour; I've added ground eggshells, snake exuvium (from my healthy captive bred adult ball python), bird grit (WITHOUT copper), powdered cuttlefish bone, caliche, etc. I add about 1/2 cup to 10 gallons of substrate so I feel like I have ample calcium in my substrate. But when I saw the way the isopods went after it, I started adding a few pieces of cuttlefish to my millipede enclosures. They don't go after it the same way but I see them on it occasionally.

I don't think millipedes die very fast when calcium is lacking in their diet; they languish over a longer period and are generally weakened. I think when they die from unknown reasons, though, it is often from calcium deficiency.

For what it's worth!