Debating on which Centroides to get

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm moving out pretty soon and I'll be able to finally have my own room and put whatever I want in it. And I was thinking of having a 10 gallon tank with a bunch of communal scorpions. After snooping around the Centroides caught most of my attention. Now I'm wondering which one I should get?
I'm rating them based on
size: (the bigger the better)
aggression: (towards predator and prey)
activity: (moves around a lot)
skittishness/shyness: (won't run and hide from a sneeze...)
hardiness: (Does fine in all kinds of weather/temperature)

EDIT: forgot to add hardiness!

Last edited:

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say C.gracilis fits the requirements pretty well. Aesthetically appealing too, especially when raising from young. I just happen to have a 150 or so available too. **shameless plug**

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
only 150...hmm was looking for at least 155.... :p I have a C. Gracilis at work, shes always moving around and basks in the heat lamp.. she acts like a pet lizard more than anything.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say C.gracilis fits the requirements pretty well. Aesthetically appealing too, especially when raising from young. I just happen to have a 150 or so available too. **shameless plug**
Christ thats a lot haha. Well I checked out C. vittatus they look a bit more colorful than C.gracilis but now I'm looking at size and activity of both of them.

---------- Post added 10-19-2011 at 02:15 PM ----------

only 150...hmm was looking for at least 155.... :p I have a C. Gracilis at work, shes always moving around and basks in the heat lamp.. she acts like a pet lizard more than anything.
Thats cool, I like activity, sucks that scorpions are a lot more skittish than T's, its a shame too because they look awesome!

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hard to go wrong with C. gracilis.
Another thought is to go with a less common species. Nice to have something most others don't. I saw an ad here in the past few days for C. margaritatus. About 3-4" and really sharp looking. A little digging should turn up that, and a few other species.
Either way, Centruroides are great scorps.

Made it through all that without plugging my C. guanensis (they don't fit your requirements) or suggesting B. jacksoni, which I also happen to have.

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I did put B. jacksoni's into consideration, but they require a bit more humidity and heat and the pad I'm moving to has no AC or heater and personally I find heat lamps ridiculously annoying...
I read that Centroides can survive with wide ranges of humidity and temps without a problem and breed just fine that way.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would 100% suggest C.gracillis!C.vitattus are really good looking,and super active but are TINY scorps,so I don't really like keeping them unless you got atleast 15 so there would be a bunch.C.gracillis come in many different colors including some that are all black or have purple tints,as well as many others.Very cool scorp in my opinion.I'm working at getting a group of them *hint hint hint* to anybody who has some available :D

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of temps are we looking at? Mine are usually 75-78 F. They could go a touch cooler I believe. Yes, they like it rather humid. I just mist well and dampen an end of the enclosure. Provide a water dish as well.
Here is a care sheet link: http://www.venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12511

Not trying to talk you out of Centruroides at all. You won't be unhappy with either. Hell, just get both!

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gonna add my vote in for C gracilis. One of the bigger centruroides species, always active. Mine never back down from a meal. Also they come in a butt tonne of colour morphs...

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok this may sound crazy but for some strange reason, I have the feeling that I am being convinced to get a bunch. gracilis! :giggle: You're a bunch of brain washers!!! I knew I shouldn't have gotten back into this hobby :sarcasm: Its so addicting...

sfpearl300z

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Christ thats a lot haha. Well I checked out C. vittatus they look a bit more colorful than C.gracilis but now I'm looking at size and activity of both of them.
I've never owned C.vittatus before, but I know from experience my C.gracilis have had some vibrant colorations to them, esp post polt:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
C. gracilis would do good....the slings tend to eat eachother sometimes though

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well maybe I am biased, but I still thing our c. sculpturatus (sp) are the prettiest ones around.

Deftones90

Arachnosquire
Sculps are the first centruroides sp. I got. So I have a soft spot for them. And I agree they do have some nice colors.

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
gracilis, sculps, or vittatus
they are all good and hardy

and like someone else mentioned babycurus jacksoni even though its not a centruroides its still a good one, they can be at room temp, I have a small 5w heat pad on the side of mine at least I did before rehousing, and I only keep half the substrate moist, pour a cup a water over half of it once a week and you are fine

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I haven't had many Centruroides other than the locals. But I like the ones I have from Costa Rica, they are probably C. margaritatus. I have the offspring. The male parent nailed 5 inches long, 4" for the female. I will prob have some extras from this brood I may let go sooner or later.

Hendersoniana

Arachnoangel
i vote for Centruroides Margaritatus. Fast growing, beautiful and handles adult roaches like a breeze, by that i mean a lot of power and stinging!My female matured in a few months, they are beautiful!

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Something just came up in my head just now and that is inbreeding. Will this be a problem with these scorpions? Say if I started off with 2 females and 2 males and both females had a clutch, I'll mix the offspring as 2 colonies. But say if they grew up and accidentally bred with a sibling will it cause any genetic damage?
I'm asking because I don't want to end up with too much to deal with separating each individual one to make sure its not in the same enclosure as its siblings..

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Centruroides nitidus from the Dominican Republic......Communal in all instars, occasional loss, fast growing and nice coloration....

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Centruroides baracoae!:D No, seriously, C. sculpturatus "gertschi" morph, C. arctimanus, C. ornatus, are all very attractive species, besides the potency of C. ornatus.;)