death to all crickets!

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's it! I'm done with crickets and will be moving to roaches in the next week. I can never get the small sizes I need for my tiny slings and the large crickets just make way to much noise. I'm done!

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was too but it can't be worse then having crickets escape. At least I know dubia won't be climbing out of the T cages.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I like my lats a lot better than the crickets, the crickets stunk and died off so quickly. But yeah, I have had a few lats escape so I am not too happy about that.....I am afraid I will get infested. Just be careful, not careless like me!

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think lats climb though where the B. Dubias do not. That is the reason I'm aiming at dubias.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
lats cannot climb plastic or glass but they sure can run up your arm fast!!

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there any difference between lats and dubia? why would you choose one over the other?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I've found several cricks in my bed.. Not too fun, but still.. Those ruddy roaches scare me so much.. =/

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know there is a difference, but I can't remember why I went with lats. I did what you did and got opinions and researched. I think because I read they can't climb and maybe they are smaller and my t's are all juvies. Softer? Honestly, I don't remember why! I just know it was my decision at the time. We will let the experts weigh in on the pros and cons. LOL.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I'm not an expert, but I'll throw in my two cents. Some of my specimens have not been super fond of Dubia, but they are really meaty. Lot more roach meat on a dubia over a lat. Everything I have loves the lat. I also have hissers, but I'm trying to build a colony, so I haven't used them as feeders. I also have lobsters. They climb and are kinda stinky, even when their cage is clean all the time. I don't know why, but they are a little funny smelling to me. They are great for aboreals though. Plus, lobsters have tiny young, so I can feed them to even my smallest scorpion instars. That's what I know and think. Others may have different opinions, and I hope you get lots of good info. Good luck! Btw, if you are only going to have one, and you just have T's, I think lats are a good choice. Mine haven't been breeding well, but, that's probably more me than the lats. ~r

Kuro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have discoid roaches and they are so much better then crickets if i don't clean their tub out for a couple weeks they barely smell but if i leave the crix that long i nearly gag from the stink.

i'm still trying to get my colony going so only occasionaly will i feed off a male to my Genic. took almost 6 months before i found the first little babies. i hope for them to replace the crix once theres enough of them

MechaChiro

Arachnopeon
Roaches work great. Dubias are a little too smart. They will burrow and play dead. Lats are stupid but fast. I have a colony of each and i prefer the lateralis roaches.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Roaches work great. Dubias are a little too smart. They will burrow and play dead. Lats are stupid but fast. I have a colony of each and i prefer the lateralis roaches.

totally agree!!!! I'm getting ready to run a second colony of Lats... I have a handfull of finicky T's that do not like to eat dubia. And I'm keeping my eyes out for a totally sealed container so I can limit my escapees!

:)

Joe

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
totally agree!!!! I'm getting ready to run a second colony of Lats... I have a handfull of finicky T's that do not like to eat dubia. And I'm keeping my eyes out for a totally sealed container so I can limit my escapees!

:)

Joe
What do you mean by totally sealed? What do you have them in now? Just curious since mine will be here in a few days.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What do you mean by totally sealed? What do you have them in now? Just curious since mine will be here in a few days.
I don't have anything for lats yet. I want to get a lat colony going. Sorry I wasn't clear when I said that.

When I mentioned totally sealed.... Lats don't EASILY climb, but if you have anything for the roach to grip, they can climb even if its just dirty glass. Also, the males do fly. I just want to minimize escapees!

That help?

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I don't have anything for lats yet. I want to get a lat colony going. Sorry I wasn't clear when I said that.

When I mentioned totally sealed.... Lats don't EASILY climb, but if you have anything for the roach to grip, they can climb even if its just dirty glass. Also, the males do fly. I just want to minimize escapees!

That help?
Well I'm getting Dubias because I do bot want anything that flies or climbs. I just thought maybe you knew of something better than a rubbermaid tote to keep them in. I can't wait to get them but nervous about escapes too!

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I'm getting Dubias because I do bot want anything that flies or climbs. I just thought maybe you knew of something better than a rubbermaid tote to keep them in. I can't wait to get them but nervous about escapes too!
im right there with you. i hate crickets with a passion!! i have to keep it low key because of the wife and all. so i only have 4 females and a male right now. slowly but surely the colony will build.