Death Feigning Beetle + Darklings?

many many legs

Arachnosquire
Hey all, I have 7 darklings and 2 BDFB's. Can they live in the same terrarium without problems? Eventually I'll move the BDFB's into my Hairy Scorpion enclosure, so this setup would be temporary.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, they can live together in the same enclosure just fine. I frequently keep "mixed beetle" tanks with assorted darkling beetles (including death feigning beetles, which are a type of darkling beetle) and ironclad beetles - and occasionally carabidae or other beetles as well. The only thing to watch for is if any of them try breeding, sometimes the adults will eat the larvae. (Not just the carabids, either - I've seen Eleodes sp. munching on larvae, too.)

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
Yeah, they can live together in the same enclosure just fine. I frequently keep "mixed beetle" tanks with assorted darkling beetles (including death feigning beetles, which are a type of darkling beetle) and ironclad beetles - and occasionally carabidae or other beetles as well. The only thing to watch for is if any of them try breeding, sometimes the adults will eat the larvae. (Not just the carabids, either - I've seen Eleodes sp. munching on larvae, too.)
What kind of substrate do you use for these mixed tanks? I'm interested in trying this with my death-feigners.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What kind of substrate do you use for these mixed tanks? I'm interested in trying this with my death-feigners.
I use a mix of the local dirt/sand (from the area where I collect them) and a little added organic material like leaf litter, coco fiber, and the hardwood mulch that passes for "top soil" at my local Home Depot.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
I just want to chime in to say that mixed desert beetle enclosures are some of my most satisfying invert keeping experiences. Lots of hides and structures allow them to not feel crowded. It’s also interesting to watch them navigate and interact with pieces of their environment. I use display cases so they’re easily seen, and people can see how much cooler they are than goldfish ;)