Death curl or no?

MothMan77

Arachnopeon
I have a Texas Brown T and three days ago it lost its back leg, I believe it was due to a bad molt, reason being is because I rarley handing him unless I'm cleaning his cage. I checked for bleeding but I didn't see and liquids coming from the wound. Yesterday he was climbing all around his cage but today he is just curled up in a ball. I know if a T loses a limb it will force a molt, I just wanna know if that's what he's doing or if he is dehydrated. He also kicked off his back hairs for no reason that was before he lost the leg if that helps. IMG_1326.JPG IMG_1327.JPG

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Chances are he injured his leg on those bark chips. Lose them immediately and get coco fiber substrate!

Also is there a water dish present? can you get a picture of the whole enclosure?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Looks like its in a stressed out position then death-curl, the wood chips are never suitable as substrate as they are often treated with chemicals during production along with having jagged edges, remove it and opt for either chemical free topsoil or eco earth are best. to eliminate falling injuries make sure you give a adequate amount that limits the amount of climbing distance to a minimum as they are terrestrial Ts. A lost leg is a very minor injury as they have a sphincter at the base of where the leg meets the carapace, It seals shut to prevent further fluid loss, just make sure you keep a water dish available should it decide to replenish any lost fluids . If its not a mature male the leg will grow back looking indistinguishable to its original upon further molts. however that looks like a MM to me as I think I could see emboli, mm often pace around looking for a female to mate with, and have a very limited lifespans of generally a couple months to a year.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
As others have said, ditch the substrate and get something appropriate.

For the record a death curl will have the tarantula's "toes" actually under their carapace as well as the "knees" above the carapace. That's a stress curl, nothing more.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's not a "Death curl" at all, your Theraphosidae is just screaming: "Please someone help me".

Poor baby, all alone living in such a bad & worst substrate :-(

Re-house asap using this time a proper substrate like others said, man, and be a hero. Oh, and a water dish.

If you want to reach the Olympus, just saying... remove that hide and offer a good quality piece of cork bark, hell... he deserved one, after all :-s

MothMan77

Arachnopeon
Here is a picture of his living space. I didn't think the bark would be a problem, I've been using it for a few months with out any issue. I will change it asap. IMG_1328.JPG

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Whoa okay no offence but i suggest you read some more about how to keep a tarantula. That setup is deadly.

First things first, how high is that enclosure? The space between substrate and lid shouldn't be more than 1,5 times the legspan of the tarantula. Get eco earth and fill it up. If he were to climb in the current setup, he'd die. Also give him a proper water dish.

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
Yeah ts dont like to walk on soft ground and im sure its like if you or i had to walk on softball sized rocks all the time. Not fun. Also like others have said they could have noxious chemicals even certain woods themselves are poisonous to arthropods.

MothMan77

Arachnopeon
Oh, its okay I understand I need all the advice I can get. I just cleaned his cage of the bark and put pesticide free top soil in the cage just in till I get the eco earth you recommended, and left a 4 inch gap from bottom to the lid. I'll also be working on getting him a proper water dish and a hideout.

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
pesticide free top soil is good enough. no need to change the topsoil to eco earth.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Agree with @Robyn8, no need to further stress your T by changing its environment yet again. I would advise a better water dish, diameter of the T, and 1/2"-1" deep. They won't drown and you'll not have to refill it, the dish, on a daily basis. As far as the hide is concerned, cork is good, a lot of keepers use it. You can also buy a non glazed flower, cut in half, remove sharp edges and serves just as well and cheaper. If cost is a concern. I have these in a few of my terrestrial setups, frequently the T is chillaxing on top of it.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I could be dead wrong here, but I think this is an aquarium with a lid.. the T could have climbed and got its leg stuck between the lid and the terrarium.. I have read of many stories when T's pulled their legs becaue they got stuck between the lid..

what's the top like, OP?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I could be dead wrong here, but I think this is an aquarium with a lid.. the T could have climbed and got its leg stuck between the lid and the terrarium.. I have read of many stories when T's pulled their legs becaue they got stuck between the lid..

what's the top like, OP?
I think if it got its leg stuck in the top and it came off it would have fallen and a fall from that high would be a dead tarantula. Regardless of how it happend, OP, how high did you make the topsoil? And yeah, I would get a better hide...cork bark or something along those lines. Deeper water dish too. Your t will be MUCH happier and less stressed with nice deep sub, a good hide (probably good idea to at least partially bury one end of it) and a deeper water dish. The lost leg isn't a big deal as long as you get the other stuff sorted out.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I think if it got its leg stuck in the top and it came off it would have fallen and a fall from that high would be a dead tarantula.
Well that we'll never know.. I know its unlikely, but still possible I guess.. Maybe it somehow didn't fall..
Heh just a theory :) I dont see any other possibilities really.. I mean, bad molt would be one option if the T molted recently.. Nevertheless, top screen is not really a good idea.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Chances are he injured his leg on those bark chips.?
doubt it. bark chips arent a good choice because they dont hold water and they can scratch/tear at the soft abdomen. im thinking a leg caught in a screen top did the trick.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have a Texas Brown T and three days ago it lost its back leg, I believe it was due to a bad molt, reason being is because I rarley handing him unless I'm cleaning his cage. I checked for bleeding but I didn't see and liquids coming from the wound. Yesterday he was climbing all around his cage but today he is just curled up in a ball. I know if a T loses a limb it will force a molt, I just wanna know if that's what he's doing or if he is dehydrated.
not a bad molt, you would of noticed the old exo. Ts have a sphincter where the leg attaches to the body, the sphincter closes when the leg is gone. no issue with spiders losing legs. cleaning?? i dont think ive cleaned a T cage since i started keeping them, theres just no reason unless the cage breaks or mites or whatnot. cleaning is stressful to the spider, keep it to once a year if you have to. that is a MM tarantula, meaning its only purpose in life now is to find a female and breed. he'll be climbing alot more now that hes mature. make sure the substrate level is high enough so when he falls its not higher than 1.5x his legspan. looks like a stress curl to me. no issue, just redo the substrate and let him be in a relatively dark area. never heard of Ts forcing a molt just to regrow a leg, maybe a abdomen injury, but not a leg.

Blackout14

Arachnoknight

what's the top like, OP?
Judging by the rounded bottom and sides with no trim I think it's a critter keeper..still not great I have a few but hate them for ts

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
a
Judging by the rounded bottom and sides with no trim I think it's a critter keeper..still not great I have a few but hate them for ts
Yes, you can see the shadow of the slats in the lid in one of the photos - it's a KK.