Dead after 3 years Pink toe

Screamapillar

Arachnopeon
In the last month, I have put my pink toe in ICU care. The abdomen was shriveled. It seemed to recover some, but wouldn't eat even with a cricket in the same spot. Ts abdomen returned to normal size, but still wasn't eating. I took it out of the ICU and placed it back in its enclosure several days later. I put a wet paper towel in the enclosure to add moisture and sealed most of the air holes leaving only a few. I removed the wet paper towel and had the fresh water bowl several days ago. This was after recovery. For a week my T seemed as though it was recovering, even climbing on things again, but I woke up today to find it may have died. Death curl with no movement. I've placed it into the ICU container with wet warm paper towel, I'm pretty certain it is dead. I think I screwed up in my care for it.

This was a petco pink toe tarantula, and per my previous posts, other users warned and said mine would die eventually, due to it being male and possibly an adult when bought. Was this to be, or should I have done more to save my 8 legged friend?

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
if it was adult mature male like others told you thenthere was nothing you could do for it the icu and closing off its vent holes probably did more to stress it than anything from what i have read and learned about avic care

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Even female avic avics aren't very long lived but icu's and stuffy, sealed up enclosures are a big no no. Could have just been the end. Could have been dehydrated and then smothered. Could have been a lot of things but without more info and pics there's no way to even guess. Sorry about your spider.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I looked at your old posts. It appears that is was a mature male. It was at end of its life. With that said, looking at enclosures and some of the husbandry practices you mentioned, I’d argue it sped up the rate at which your T passed along. Sorry man.

Necrodude

Arachnopeon
If it was a male. Yeah they don't live very long unfortunately. My MM C. versicolor died about a year ago. It lived around 4 years. At the end, they basically just starve themselves.

Screamapillar

Arachnopeon
Attached are pictures from today. I was using this post. https://thebugchicks.com/articles/a...er towels, saturated,to drown; it's to revive.

I normally don't have the enclosure sealed. I only did it recently as sort of rehabilitation moving from ICU back to home. I poked holes on both sides, to let air circulate still after sealing with plastic wrap. I did what I could to keep them going, maybe leaving them alone for a few days was my worst decision.

Attachments

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Relative term-- some species can live 8-10 yrs- like one of mine, still going after 8 yr
Very relative. I was comparing them to tarantulas on the far end with lifespans two and three times longer. 8 years isn't very long when you're buying a wild caught adult.

I think your dude was just old, man.

Screamapillar

Arachnopeon
Very relative. I was comparing them to tarantulas on the far end with lifespans two and three times longer. 8 years isn't very long when you're buying a wild caught adult.

If you think so. I feel like I mistreated it, I can't shake that feeling.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Eh, that gives the OP a skewed idea on Avics. Actually if you bought an adult Avic and it lived 8 yrs in captivity with you, that would be impressive I think.

My value was for a cb Avic.

If you think so. I feel like I mistreated it, I can't shake that feeling.
Feel :rolleyes:

either did mistreat it, or you didn't. FACTS not feelings are important in pet husbandry.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Eh, that gives the OP a skewed idea on Avics. Actually if you bought an adult Avic and it lived 8 yrs in captivity with you, that would be impressive I think.

My value was for a cb Avic.
What i meant was that an animal that lives 8 years and is an adult of unknown age when you aquire it may not have many years left to spend with you. If it's a wild caught female that's already 6 years old, you don't get 8 to 10 more.

Actually if you bought an adult Avic and it lived 8 yrs in captivity with you, that would be impressive I think.
I completely agree.