Dating apps

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
This is a bit of an odd thread, but I'm really curious here... xD
It's known that pet pics are a plus on dating apps. They look cute, they are a conversation starter and they show a bit of yourself and your life. Or at least this is very true with dogs and cats, etc... But how well does it work with tarantulas and such?
It sure makes you stand off, which is what you want and spikes their curiosity at the very least. But will it scare a lot of people right from the start, or not really?
Did anyone try it yet? What were your results?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Did anyone try it yet? What were your results?
My girlfriend of six months still has no idea about my tarantula room. So there's that. In my defense, she has a crippling phobia of both spiders and roaches. Pretty sure she'd stroke out if she saw my colonies or stacks of enclosures.

inserirnome

Arachnopeon
My girlfriend of six months still has no idea about my tarantula room. So there's that. In my defense, she has a crippling phobia of both spiders and roaches. Pretty sure she'd stroke out if she saw my colonies or stacks of enclosures.
Ahahahaha
6 months though! Do you lock it and say its a pantry, a weed greenhouse, a nuclear shelter? A mistery room at my lovers house, Im prety sure Id sneak and break into it eventualy during the night!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Geez, that's a long time to not tell her something that important! :rofl: Have you at least tried to gauge her reaction on what she'd do if you had tarantulas? If I was the woman in that situation, I'd be worried you were hiding other stuff too. Lol

As for @inserirnome, I can't say from personal experience (I was with my boyfriend LONG before I got my first tarantula, and he likes all spiders anyway), but I think that's something I would at least disclose, whether it's just mentioning it in the "about you" section or including a picture. If you're on a dating app, I'd assume you're looking for a legitimate relationship and not just a quick hook up, so I'd think it'd be better to weed out the people it might not work out with early on. Why waste your time? I think it would also help to use pictures based on who you're trying to attract (fluffier or prettier ones for girls, cooler or tougher looking ones for men)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
But how well does it work with tarantulas and such?
The average person would be put off by such photos. Whether you're OK with that is up to you.

On the one hand, there is something to be said for the efficiency of quickly weeding out incompatible matches so you don't waste time on relationships that won't work.

On the other hand, there could be some compatible matches who might initially be put off by the tarantula pictures but who could warm to them under the right circumstances.

Do you ever worry that she might find your YouTube channel?

Lunitar

Arachnoslacker
Whoa, you need to start reprogramming asap. Cute jumping spider pics -> Attend an expo together. -> Mention a friends collection -> (research) for school -> Acquire T

Disclaimer:
This is a rough plan and should not be considered a guide for reprogramming a S.O. and I also would like to note that I never used this technique on my wife. :angelic:

Mila

Arachnoknight
Girls like dogs/cats in profiles because they're cute and chances are we'll like the dog/cat more than you. However 99% of girls don't consider tarantulas cute or anything other than petrifying so I'd probably keep it quiet until you tied them down into a relationship with you

Leila

Arachnobaron
I personally would not flood an online dating profile with photos of my tarantulas.

I know, I know...If anyone read the thread I started about divulging our hobby to those with whom we go on dates, you'd know that I am all for being open about it from the start.
So why not exercise the same transparency via a dating profile?

Well, I just think some things are better revealed in face to face conversation. Lol. I mean, I can turn on my charm in person which will make the fact that I keep Ts much more palatable; however, charming people with words on a screen is more laborious a task. (Am I making sense?)

Well, that is my take on the subject, so.. ;)

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Lol I get pretty annoyed at people who hatee my spiders and make a point of showing me they do (probably around 40% of the people I encounter, mostly 0.1.0). I could never date any of those people, even if hating spiders was their only flaw.

Mila

Arachnoknight
I'm personally not bothered if someone I'm dating Hates them. As long as they don't try to stop you doing what you enjoy I don't think it matters

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Speaking from personal experience, the dating app dynamic is very black and white. If you're a guy, you pretty much look like a creep no matter what you do. If you're a girl, a high-angle bathroom selfie will cause your inbox to blow out of control. So for my female friend who has spiders, she has experienced guys from dating apps becoming very intrigued by the fact that she keeps them. They somehow feel like it makes her kinky and mysterious.

If you're a guy, then a picture of a spider will make you look like a creepy guy with a spider:shifty:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Look, I'm a Christian man and I'm not having sex until I get married. But if I find out that my girlfriend also keeps tarantulas, she's getting laid THAT NIGHT.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
You shouldn't keep that from her bro. Six months is the point where you guys should be able to trust each other.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
That's quite a predicament man, the longer you keep it a secret the harder it will be to explain someday, besides, who dates a girl for six months and doesn't have her over?

I can say with some certainty that your in for a rude awakening, hopefully you tell her before she finds out on her own accord. Just imagine how it will sound when she tells her parents, friends...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's quite a predicament man, the longer you keep it a secret the harder it will be to explain someday, besides, who dates a girl for six months and doesn't have her over?

I can say with some certainty that your in for a rude awakening, hopefully you tell her before she finds out on her own accord. Just imagine how it will sound when she tells her parents, friends...
Her place is a hell of a lot nicer than mine, so that's where we spend our time. She's been over, but she just hasn't questioned the room. Not like I gave a grand tour or anything.

And eh, I'm sure it'll blow up eventually. I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. I've had to deal with way worse in the past.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Speaking from personal experience, the dating app dynamic is very black and white. If you're a guy, you pretty much look like a creep no matter what you do. If you're a girl, a high-angle bathroom selfie will cause your inbox to blow out of control.
Truer words have never been spoken. I am this close to shutting mine down. I never used them, figured I'd give it a try for whatever reason, and it's been nothing but ridiculous nothingness and a waste of time.

@inserirnome if you have a Tarantula in your picture on a dating site, you might as well just shut it down. Few things will make them run faster than that. :meh: