Dancing Jumping spider

TheKid

Arachnopeon
So would it be in anyway illegal to transport this specimen to the U.S. or neighboring countries?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So would it be in anyway illegal to transport this specimen to the U.S. or neighboring countries?
Importing animals from other countries without the proper permit(s) and/or without declaring them to Customs and the Fish and Wildlife Service is illegal. (This is known as "brown boxing.")

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
There's plenty of jumping spiders that will dance for a mate, so I'm not sure which species you're talking about. The most famous ones are in the genus Maratus or the "peacock spiders". They live in Australia and pretty much nobody owns, breeds or sells them. But like I said there's plenty of dancing jumpers out there

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
There's plenty of jumping spiders that will dance for a mate, so I'm not sure which species you're talking about. The most famous ones are in the genus Maratus or the "peacock spiders". They live in Australia and pretty much nobody owns, breeds or sells them. But like I said there's plenty of dancing jumpers out there
OP- is this the species you are referring to? Or another?

TheKid

Arachnopeon
Yeah its the peacock jumping spiders. Despite its size, how much do you think someone would be willing to pay for this spider.

TheKid

Arachnopeon
Well above all there must be a logical reason why it is not in the hobby as of now.

Last edited:

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Well above all there must be a logical reason why it is not in the hobby as of now.
The reason there's none in the hobby is 1: it's pretty hard to import animals out of Australia, 2: the colourful males aren't very long lived once they mature and 3: most of the species have secret locations to prevent collection from the wild

TheKid

Arachnopeon
The reason there's none in the hobby is 1: it's pretty hard to import animals out of Australia, 2: the colourful males aren't very long lived once they mature and 3: most of the species have secret locations to prevent collection from the wild
I have only heard of the first one and thanks for the other two.

BenLeeKing

Arachnoknight
I'm sure there is still a possibility that they could make it into the hobby one day... I once saw a video on youtube about studies conducted on them by UC Berkeley, where they caught specimens back to the US and studied their dances. (Here's the video) Now... if only they breed them~

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
A little food for thought. Recall the invasion of African bees to South America. That has pretty much written the rules regarding importing potential invasives.