dammit...this is too addicting.

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
3 weeks ago i bought my first T, a G rosea. Last Friday I bought a L klugi. This thursday im picking up a B smithi, A geniculata, and maybe a B vagans. All 4-5 inches. geniculata and vagans are both females. smithi is unsexed.

Im hoping I stop there... but then theres that G.pulchra...and that G pulchripes... UUUUGGGGHHHH...

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
3 weeks ago i bought my first T, a G rosea. Last Friday I bought a L klugi. This thursday im picking up a B smithi, A geniculata, and maybe a B vagans. All 4-5 inches. geniculata and vagans are both females. smithi is unsexed.

Im hoping I stop there... but then theres that G.pulchra...and that G pulchripes... UUUUGGGGHHHH...
It's time to move beyond the boring, docile new world variety and into the wonderful world of old world species. Pokies might be a good place to start (I wouldn't start with a burrowing species because you'll never see them).

spiderfield

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And then there's the T. blondi, the Megaphobemas, the Pamphobeteus...the list goes on. Welcome to Tarantulaholics Anonymous! My name is Ryan, and I am also an addict. :D

SeanJo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I say you need a few fast growing slings to slow your "binge-buying" down. Looking forward to molts, feeding, and watching slings grow to juvis then adults is my favorite thing to do in this hobby. I agree with nature boy tho, maybe keep away from the burrowers because once you figure out you wont see them very often, there ya are looking for more visible Ts ;)

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You want something with some personality. Threat displays are friggin' hilarious--like watching a midget flick a linebacker the bird. Go old world, my man. That is, unless you're too scared to. lol. :D

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, main reason im buying those is because i love the way they look. the colour of A geniculata is just damn striking, and smithi is well...a smithi, what else can I say. haha. I love the velvety blackness of vagans too.

as for buying slings, the pulchripes and pulchra might be the ones im getting.

i know pokies have beautiful colours, especially metallica. The person Im buying my Ts from actually has a 4inch metallica for sale. its a great looking spider...just not my type. the guy is crazy actually, he picked up a C crawshayi as if it were a piece of rock. he also handled his 5inch metallica. So far, from what ive seen, the only OW specie that I actually like is the C crawshayi.

guess it just came down to preference.

edit: on the topic of fast growing slings...which specie is recommended? I hate you...

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, main reason im buying those is because i love the way they look. the colour of A geniculata is just damn striking, and smithi is well...a smithi, what else can I say. haha. I love the velvety blackness of vagans too.

as for buying slings, the pulchripes and pulchra might be the ones im getting.

i know pokies have beautiful colours, especially metallica. The person Im buying my Ts from actually has a 4inch metallica for sale. its a great looking spider...just not my type. the guy is crazy actually, he picked up a C crawshayi as if it were a piece of rock. he also handled his 5inch metallica. So far, from what ive seen, the only OW specie that I actually like is the C crawshayi.

guess it just came down to preference.
If it's beauty you're looking for there are PLENTY of old world options. In fact, in my opinion a lot of new world species are pretty drab compared to most old worlders.

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, I need to slow down on the purchases, haha. as much as id love to buy more, I am limited by this substance called money.

Another limitation is that Im in canada, and the number of dealers/breeders is just so limited compared to what the people in the US have.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another limitation is that Im in canada, and the number of dealers/breeders is just so limited compared to what the people in the US have.
Ts are like drugs, you want them badly enough you'll find somebody to hook you up, lol. :D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just go slow man. Buy a few here, a few there but don't go and rocket up to like 50 T's by the end of the summer. Everybody has a max number that they have the time/inclination/room to care for. You don't want to find out what your number is too soon 'cuz that means you have to sell some to buy more and that's just depressing.

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'll second TNB's suggestion to go OW. But I like the "pet holes". Not all pet holes are equal, some are really "pet holes". Haplopelmas are great T's, and all of them look very cool. They do not cost an arm and a leg either. I see mine every night at the burrow entrance.

Radamanthys

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, just follow Nature Boy advice and end up with your face getting ripped off, just like that lol

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im not gonna stay with this number. 5 is good for now. i may want a sling or two, just so i get to experience raising one from a tiny spec to a massive crawling monster. hehe.

rekabwerb

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

i know what you mean man, I haven't ordered my first T yet, but I decided on getting 3 instead of 1 lol

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was bummed that my first couple of Ts were burrowers until I figured out that if I start their burrows for them, against the surface of the enclosure, ant farm-style, they usually go with them. Now I'm a total voyeur and I can spy on my B vagans and G pulchra in their burrows-with-a-view.

I will add that although the pulchra accepted its man-made burrow (just hollowed it out a little more and webbed it) my vagans completely deconstructed my original floor-plan and re-did the whole thing, even to the point of rejecting the flimsy hide I had provided and moving it to the opposite end of the KK - I laughed my simple-minded abdomen off, and I'm only sorry that I wasn't home to witness this whole process. {D (I have to acknowledge that he finished a much better job than I started, tunnel and all :clap: and he kept the "burrow-with-a-view concept, so we're both happy!)

Anyway, I now have a little arboreal complement to the burrowers, a versi sling, and he's the perfect antidote to the burrowers, so you might consider that as well.

8legedemily

Arachnopeon
"welcome to my world" when I bought my 1st G rosea I just couldn't stop now I have 46 Ts:) and some how in all of this I ended up with 7 scorpions

nicholo85

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
eh, was never into other arachnids, just tarantulas. actually, in philippines spiders are quite popular, but theyre used for fighting. they put 2 spiders on a stick, and make them fight. people bet on it and stuff. now those were some cool looking spiders too. there were ones that were very yellow, some red, some black, some with patterns. hmmm...maybe i should "bring" some with me next time i go for a vacation there.

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol get use to it. Not that long ago I had 1... now I have 22. I'm even looking for another house with an extra room for my T's (thats bad I know but its ok cause I love em). At least once a month I'm waiting near the door for the mail / UPS / FedEx guy for my fix. My husband has started buying them when I get disgruntled. So instead of roses... I get T's.