D. diamantinensis and C. versicolor too much for new owner

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
I may be over eager as a new hobbyist with my interest in these 2 animals, but I was curious if they would require me to get some time under my belt before purchasing some D. diamantinensis and C. versicolor slings? Both from a husbandry and an experience standpoint. I would much rather wait and be ready for them if it's not recommended for newbs, but I have read a lot of conflicting information on both of them as to whether or not they are suitable beginner animals, or more intermediate animals.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Tarantula husbandry knowledge caps out after a few years of good experience. From there it's just helpful tips and tricks one learns.

There's nothing wrong with it. Learn how to care for slings. I rely exclusively on prekilled for slings. You can cut up mealworms or crickets or whatever to appropriately sized chunks. Works great, and you don't have to bother with fruit flies or pinhead crickets.

The Caribena you're going to have to learn to keep dry. Which generally goes against your instincts with slings. But it does work. Some damp substrate is fine, and possibly beneficial, but you must have fantastic ventilation in the enclosure. Room doesn't matter so much. I raise these high ventilation spiders in a corner of the basement. I wrote a care sheet on them a while back.
"Avicularia care" you can find it with the search function.

90% of the species in the hobby are suitable beginner animals. It all depends on the beginner and how much they want to learn and their dedication.

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Tarantula husbandry knowledge caps out after a few years of good experience. From there it's just helpful tips and tricks one learns.

There's nothing wrong with it. Learn how to care for slings. I rely exclusively on prekilled for slings. You can cut up mealworms or crickets or whatever to appropriately sized chunks. Works great, and you don't have to bother with fruit flies or pinhead crickets.

The Caribena you're going to have to learn to keep dry. Which generally goes against your instincts with slings. But it does work. Some damp substrate is fine, and possibly beneficial, but you must have fantastic ventilation in the enclosure. Room doesn't matter so much. I raise these high ventilation spiders in a corner of the basement. I wrote a care sheet on them a while back.
"Avicularia care" you can find it with the search function.

90% of the species in the hobby are suitable beginner animals. It all depends on the beginner and how much they want to learn and their dedication.
Sweet! Thanks for the reply and the references! I will dive into that ASAP!

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Experience wise I waited 2 years before I got my versicolor sling. It's a reversal of the way of new worlds and regular raising. Keeping it mostly like a Gbb except arboreal. I also misjudged their appetite and how ferocious these little blue gems are

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Experience wise I waited 2 years before I got my versicolor sling. It's a reversal of the way of new worlds and regular raising. Keeping it mostly like a Gbb except arboreal. I also misjudged their appetite and how ferocious these little blue gems are
I'm thinking that I will probably wait at least 6 months to a year, and learn from my 2 GBB's and H. villosella, then pick one up. Pretty new to this stuff, but it's so interesting and so fun already. Thanks for the reply!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Versi- there's no conflicting information at all (unless one believes in humidity numbers as necessary). They are one of the best eaters of all the Avics I've raised.

For D.d., in case you don't know- they are easier than GBB (I have both)-- why? Well Dds are smaller, they cover less ground in the same amount of time, and MOST importantly they lack urticating setae. I really don't like getting nailed by NW defensive mechs.

They are a mini-GBB basically.

The Caribena you're going to have to learn to keep dry.
I read the above as "...you're going to have to learn to deep fry..."

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Versi- there's no conflicting information at all (unless one believes in humidity numbers as necessary). They are one of the best eaters of all the Avics I've raised.

For D.d., in case you don't know- they are easier than GBB (I have both)-- why? Well Dds are smaller, they cover less ground in the same amount of time, and MOST importantly they lack urticating setae. I really don't like getting nailed by NW defensive mechs.

They are a mini-GBB basically.

I read the above as "...you're going to have to learn to deep fry..."
"

Haha! Being from the South, deep frying shouldn't be a problem. Good to hear about the D. diamantinensis. I guess I will get comfortable with these GBB's and then look into one of those down the road. One of mine is already kicking hairs as a sling, and the other one is about as chill as they come. So I have a feeling I will experience the entire spectrum of behavior. Lol! Thanks for the info and the reply!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
A C. versicolor sling was one of my 3rd tarantulas, and I was still incredibly new with keeping at the time. I also had fallen into the trap that claims they die randomly and are hard to care for, and I was so scared I was going to end up killing her. But the truth is, as long as you follow the care that is suggested for them on here and ignore any source that tells you they need to maintain a specific humidity, they are a perfectly fine species for beginners. I highly recommend them, as they are among my favorite species.

I have no experience with D. diamantinensis, so I can't help with them unfortunately

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"

Haha! Being from the South, deep frying shouldn't be a problem. Good to hear about the D. diamantinensis. I guess I will get comfortable with these GBB's and then look into one of those down the road. One of mine is already kicking hairs as a sling, and the other one is about as chill as they come. So I have a feeling I will experience the entire spectrum of behavior. Lol! Thanks for the info and the reply!
The miniGBB is a great species. They aren't any harder than GBBs. You don't see these bred too often unfortunately. I have 2 sacmates, molted like clockwork at the same day everytime. Though I'm fairly certain have 1.1 now.

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
You guys are making it hard for me to not want to buy them tomorrow. Haha! I may have to start working on the wife again and see what she says. She’s been pretty great about them so far, so we will see how far I can take it before I am sleeping on the street with my spiders.

squirrelystar

Arachnopeon
You guys are making it hard for me to not want to buy them tomorrow. Haha! I may have to start working on the wife again and see what she says. She’s been pretty great about them so far, so we will see how far I can take it before I am sleeping on the street with my spiders.
My fiance was iffy about it when I got my first 4. I included him every step of the way. He came along to pick them up. I showed him the enclosures I made for them. I show him each one as I unpack them into their new homes. I feed them and get him to watch the take downs/happy dances with me. He likes them now. He's even picked out a few of them.

If she's willing to participate in some way maybe shell love them eventually. :)

WolfSoon

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking that I will probably wait at least 6 months to a year, and learn from my 2 GBB's and H. villosella, then pick one up. Pretty new to this stuff, but it's so interesting and so fun already. Thanks for the reply!
If you have an H. villosella then you already have a species that’s more advanced than the two you’re asking about. ;) Not sure if you already know but they’re a very speedy old world species.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
With the experience learned from the H Villosella you will be ready for any species experience wise, just need to brush up on the husbandry of the species you’re going to acquire and go for it. Heterothele Villosella are Old World ,an advanced species and not recommended for beginners

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
It’s pretty tiny at the moment, but I have already seen some hints at what it can do, speed wise, when I was unpacking it after shipping. I’m sure it will be even more noticeable when it comes time to rehouse him/her. I had read some stuff on them being worthy of beginner status, which is why I decided to go with that as a freebie. Hopefully I have t bitten off more than I can chew. I guess we will find out! Lol!

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
My fiance was iffy about it when I got my first 4. I included him every step of the way. He came along to pick them up. I showed him the enclosures I made for them. I show him each one as I unpack them into their new homes. I feed them and get him to watch the take downs/happy dances with me. He likes them now. He's even picked out a few of them.

If she's willing to participate in some way maybe shell love them eventually. :)
That’s awesome! All joking aside, my wife has been a great sport about it even though it wouldn’t be her first choice. She wants me to be happy, but she just doesn’t want me to go overboard right away. Looks like there may be some sales coming up on some of the online distributors though, so my hand may be forced. Lol!

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Here...I have 4 D.diamantinensis slings,i got them just about a month ago,so makes me an expert on these
T,s.:troll::troll::troll:.
They eat R.runners,small crickets,nymph dubias,..so far,calm.Have not bolted,so far,which says a lot,
as I have given them the opportunity to do so,through my own stupidity.
Have made their webbed up little castles,in the enclosures.

Attachments

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Here...I have 4 D.diamantinensis slings,i got them just about a month ago,so makes me an expert on these
T,s.:troll::troll::troll:.
They eat R.runners,small crickets,nymph dubias,..so far,calm.Have not bolted,so far,which says a lot,
as I have given them the opportunity to do so,through my own stupidity.
Have made their webbed up little castles,in the enclosures.
Haha! They are such cool animals! Where did you get yours?

Loxstar

Arachnopeon
Sooooo, I went ham sandwich and ordered 4 T's from JoeRossi today. I got both the C. versicolor and D. diamantinensis, as well as Theriphosinae sp. Panama and D. pentalore. Pretty pumped to watch all of them grow up. Thanks for all of the comments on this subject. I will be rereading the suggested info from this thread a lot over he next few weeks. I'll be sure to post pictures when they get settled as well. Y'all rock!:D

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
You cant go wrong ordering from Joe.Looking forward to seeing pics,especially the diamantinensis.