Cyriopagopus sp. Omothymus Hati Hati

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
Has anyone ever had any bizarre encounters with this species? This particular T is a 2” sling and is exhibiting some very strange behaviors.

For example:

He has eaten two large crickets in the last 3 days, very healthy eater. No issue here.

However, when not eating, I’ve observed the T curled up on a pile of sphagnum moss in its enclosure, appearing to be sucking on it. I’ve physically seen the moss in its mouth.

Due to my belief that it was in a death-curl, I “booped” his abdomen with the soft-end of a paint brush, and he moved. Climbed to the top of his cork, then a short time later was discovered laying almost totally suspended off the ground, clutching a plant. What makes this bizarre, is the T is sideways, and again, curled! (See Photo)

I don’t detect any signs of pre-molt. No abdomen swelling or balding, no discoloration, no lethargy when eating.

My final observation is that its water bowl has been discovered empty SEVERAL times a day. I can’t tell if it’s tipping the dish or drinking the water.

Enclosure Notes: 2” sling in a 3x3x6 vertical, cross-vented acrylic box. Just under 2” of sub, and a suspended cork portion with plants, approximately twice the size of the T. Temp is sustained at 70F-72F, and the sub is moist, not soaked.

Throw me a bone here guys! Is my little fella dying? It just a weirdo. A side note, I live in Georgia, and we are currently having a storm roll through. From a scientific standpoint, would relative humidity, and barometric pressures cause any of these behaviors?

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Its webbing that's wicking water out of the dish...ts don't drink often or enough volume to be emptying a dish, much less repeatedly.

Post a pic of the whole enclosure...you appear to have it set up like an avic...which would not be correct for this species. Cover...wood and plants, should all be at ground level.

Your t looks fine...they just sit in odd positions sometimes.

If the moss was damp, it could have been drinking...or it could have just been thinking about moving it around.

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
However, when not eating, I’ve observed the T curled up on a pile of sphagnum moss in its enclosure, appearing to be sucking on it. I’ve physically seen the moss in its mouth.
Probably drinking water off the moss.

What makes this bizarre, is the T is sideways, and again, curled! (See Photo
It looks like it's just holding on to the plant.

I can’t tell if it’s tipping the dish or drinking the water.
I'm 99.95% sure the water is just being wicked into the sub. Take the dish out and wipe it off, could be some web on it causing the water to wick out.

EDIT: I had a feeling someone was going to beat me to it :rolleyes:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Why's the name "Cyriopagopus sp. omothymus hati hati"?? It's Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati.

It's quite obvious it was drinking, so I wouldn't worry too much.

But that enclosure is not right for it in regards to some of its set-up. Asian arboreals are not like Avicularia's at all. They actually use substrate and burrow as well. So basically they make burrows and build web tunnels up or around the wood piece with substrate. If I was to use a term for them it would be "Semi-arboreal-terrestrial". An ideal enclosure for this species should be a third or half substrate and and half arboreal. Your substrate doesn't look ideal and you need more substrate for certain.

Not the best picture, but my Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati does burrow and make web tunnels up like an arboreal using substrate.
IMG_1062.JPG

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
Why's the name "Cyriopagopus sp. omothymus hati hati"?? It's Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati.

But that enclosure is not right for it in regards to some of its set-up. Asian arboreals are not like Avicularia's at all. They actually use substrate and burrow as well. So basically they make burrows and build web tunnels up or around the wood piece with substrate. If I was to use a term for them it would be "Semi-arboreal-terrestrial". An ideal enclosure for this species should be a third or half substrate and and half arboreal. Your substrate doesn't look ideal and you need more substrate for certain.

Not the best picture, but my Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati does burrow and make web tunnels up like an arboreal using substrate.
View attachment 318774
I added the full name because I wanted to make sure everyone knew exactly what I was talking about before I posted.

In regards to the sub, I was able to gather that this is. “Hybrid” sp. so I’ll be sure to make adjustments to the depth so as to make the ground level with the bottom of the cork.

I’m going to post a pic of the full enclosure as well as other options that I have that may be more suitable.

Its webbing that's wicking water out of the dish...ts don't drink often or enough volume to be emptying a dish, much less repeatedly.

Post a pic of the whole enclosure...you appear to have it set up like an avic...which would not be correct for this species. Cover...wood and plants, should all be at ground level.

Your t looks fine...they just sit in odd positions sometimes.

If the moss was damp, it could have been drinking...or it could have just been thinking about moving it around.

Okay so I’m going to add another 1-1.5” of sub to bring the level to the base of the bark to simulate ground-level for the verticality. I’ll have pics posted momentarily of the current, pre-fix enclosure.

I appreciate the help btw.

(Second pic is an alternate enclosure. We have others as well.)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

View attachment 318774
Technically, it's Ornithoctoninae sp Hatihati. ;) Cyriopagopus is a hobby label. Which only fits if you don't believe in the Haplopelma revision

LdLrLyChLd

Arachnosquire
My Hati has not exhibited particularly strange behaviors, but I’m wondering if what you’re describing is actually pretty normal... I definitely agree that your enclosure should have way more substrate and hiding material, mine preferred only burrowing at that stage. It wasn’t until it reached about 3” that it seemed less interested in burrowing..

ThatSpooderGuy555

Arachnopeon
My Hati has not exhibited particularly strange behaviors, but I’m wondering if what you’re describing is actually pretty normal... I definitely agree that your enclosure should have way more substrate and hiding material, mine preferred only burrowing at that stage. It wasn’t until it reached about 3” that it seemed less interested in burrowing..
Well sadly... it seems to be in a death curl at the moment. I’m not sure if it’ll pull out of it or not.

Well sadly... it seems to be in a death curl at the moment. I’m not sure if it’ll pull out of it or not.

The first photo is from two days ago, and the second is from a few moments ago. If you zoom in, you can see that all of its little feet are pulled underneath it.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.

The first photo is from two days ago, and the second is from a few moments ago. If you zoom in, you can see that all of its little feet are pulled underneath it.
Doesn't look like a death curl. Keep the water dish clean and make sure the sub is touching the bottom of the cork bark, sometimes they'll create a webbing at the bottom and hide in it.