Cyriopagopus sp issues???????

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had 5 Cyriopagopus sp and have currently lost two of them. One of them was a pretty small sling I just got 04-22-09. He ate a small b lateralis without hesitation on 04-26-09. My girlfriend found him dead today. The other was a larger probably cose to 3 inch that I bought from a show and died within a week. It made a web like it was going to molt and I found it outside of the web in death curl. I keep them with everything else. The room is 75 to 80 at all times. The humidity ranges in the room from 60% and I spray around twice a week in the cages that require higher humidity. I cant seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?

I have three more of them and REALLY dont want to loose them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Was the bigger one WC? I'm just wondering about disease/parasites. Other than that, I can't think of anything off the top of my head. The little one might just have been a case of SSD.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The humidity ranges in the room from 60% and I spray around twice a week in the cages that require higher humidity. I cant seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?
If you are considering the Cyriopagopus cages those which need higher humidity you are doing it wrong. Keep the cage dry and never mist it. Instead keep a water bowl which you refill when neccesary (when empty or when the substrate beneath it has dried out) to the extend that it overflow thus keeping a corner slightly more moist than the rest of the substrate.

Contrary to much belief Cyriopagopus should be kept on the dry side. The spider will maintain it's own microclimate by webbing its hideaway in such way that humidity levels are raised inside.

Generally Cyriopagopus and in particular Cyriopagopus slings should be raised as Avicularia slings =>on the dry side with good ventilation and a good hide-away (tubular hide - like bamboo or corkbark - stuck into the substrate being the best way).

You can find more info in the various asian arboreal species here:
http://asianarboreals.googlepages.com/home

Regards
Søren

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I learn something new everyday, thanks Søren.

I have seen similar type of setups for Pokies from European hobbyists as well.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Poecilotheria being mainly from tropical and temperate deciduous broadleaf forests can be kept even drier than Cyriopagopus as long as water is supplied either via water bowl or via powerfed feeders. Again the tubular hide is the best. With bamboo you can keep the segment divider of the stem and pour the water into the hide thus that the bottom is functioning as both a water bowl and to raise the humidity in the hide - much as we see in natural tree holes in nature.

Cheers!
Søren

I learn something new everyday, thanks Søren.

I have seen similar type of setups for Pokies from European hobbyists as well.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks for the info soren. I was trying to keep them like I keep my avic versicolors. I've never had a problem with them. I guess I just assumed them were alike in husbandry. I will let them substrate dry out but they are too small for a water dish. They are around 1/2 inch leg span.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OMG...within one day of reading this thread I find one of my Singapore Blues (which I've had for months) in a death curl. Darn it. :(

It's in an ICU at the moment.

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got some advice from a breeder today at a local show that told me he keeps them in high humidity and has no problems. I think this is what I was doing wrong. I think both of the ones I lost were kept too dry. I wont be making the same mistake.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, after a full 12 hours in an ICU, my Singapore Blue is dead. :( I doubt humidity was the issue; her substrate is damp + the other three appear to be fine.

Maybe just a case of SSD. :(

Darn it...I thought it would pull through.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i lost a 1.5 incher couple yrs back randomly, it was eating good and nex thing, curled up. adults are easy to keep.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i lost a 1.5 incher couple yrs back randomly, it was eating good and nex thing, curled up.
Mine (also around 1.5 inches) was eating very well, stopped eating for premolt and this morning I found it in a death curl at the entrance of its burrow. No conditions (heat/humidity) were altered.

Oddly, I've never had any issues with this species until I read this thread. :wall:

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a 3 incher die without a death curl. lust limp and gone. that was a long time ago though. Problem- temp was too high.

WS6Lethal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am curious if this is the issue with mine (she's about 6"). I've raised the humidity thinking I had it too low (now there is mold). I might redo the cage today. :?

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've had 2 die on me at about 2". One about 2 years ago, and another late last year. Both had dry substrate and a water bowl and were living in tunnels constructed in the substrate. I have another in similar conditions that is still doing fine. The first that died, I found on his back (molt style) with a firm abdomen and some kind of "butt rot" or caked excrement. The second was just laying belly down, no death curl, no signs of infection or trauma. Both purchased CB from different dealers. It's the only species that I've had that died at that size so suddenly and without obvious cause. The other death I had was a smaller A versicolor (3/4"). Maybe I'm doing something wrong with tropical arboreals?
Keith

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sudden Spiderling Death--blamed when no other cause of death is known.
Oh ok. Thats the case in the ones I've lost. They must be more sensitive to their climate change then we know. I have three versicolor slings that I got when they were probably 2nd or 3rd instar and they are doing great. I have had them for close to a year.