Species Cyriopagopus lividus (a.k.a. Haplopelma lividum)

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
At that size, I would guess it's most likely a female...and quite a pretty one at that. My favorite species! :worship:

Of course guessing from a pic is just that; a guess.

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Deschain said:
At that size, I would guess it's most likely a female...and quite a pretty one at that. My favorite species! :worship:

Of course guessing from a pic is just that; a guess.

Yeah of course man, thanks !

Niko984

Arachnopeon
I think that is female to. Males do not have that kind of beautiful colors.

Ralph

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i guess a famale too.
beacuz. at that size u can see the fangs is very small compare with carapace.that would be a male.
but on this pics.i guess a famale.

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
good point man !!! so excellent if its a female, i have another lividum ling, i hope that becomes a male if this is a female.

So yesterday she ate 3 crickets, already gave a better look to it with the abdomen a little larger. I think that if it continues eating like this it will be fattened up in no time. ehehehehehhehh

ta ta .

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Niko984 said:
I think that is female to. Males do not have that kind of beautiful colors.
Yes they do.

3 year old Haplopelma lividum male, approx 4".

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lopez said:
Yes they do.

3 year old Haplopelma lividum male, approx 4".

Hey man now you worried me cos mine looks similar to that, can u post some more pics of this male, like from the top and from the front ?? Up to how long does a male live ?? how long does it take a female to reach 4.5 " ??

Plz if you can, get a shot of the cheliceras to.

Thx.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Cpt.nemO said:
Hey man now you worried me cos mine looks similar to that, can u post some more pics of this male, like from the top and from the front ?? Up to how long does a male live ?? how long does it take a female to reach 4.5 " ??

Plz if you can, get a shot of the cheliceras to.

Thx.
I don't mean to come across as a weisenheimer, but people are giving you slightly inaccurate advice.

As sub-adults (ie, up to 4 or 5 inches) both male and female lividum are blue. Males lose most of the blue and go stripy ONLY WHEN THEY MATURE.
After that they have around a year at most to live.

You can't tell if a sub-adult is a male by small chelicerae, thin abdomen, or any other casual glance. You need to sex it properly.

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey man plz look at the cheliceras of mine in the pics above, don´t you think they are far to large for a possible future male ?? Like the carapace would have to grow a lot in the next molt to make the cheliceras look smaller in realation to it.

do you think that mine could become a male or does it already look too much of a female ???

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lopez said:
I don't mean to come across as a weisenheimer, but people are giving you slightly inaccurate advice.

As sub-adults (ie, up to 4 or 5 inches) both male and female lividum are blue. Males lose most of the blue and go stripy ONLY WHEN THEY MATURE.
After that they have around a year at most to live.

You can't tell if a sub-adult is a male by small chelicerae, thin abdomen, or any other casual glance. You need to sex it properly.

Ok thx man , but do you think you could post some more pics of this male before maturing and after ?? if possible from the angles i mentioned before.

Thx a lot man.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lopez said:
Hi Leon,
This is true, however sexual determination from chelicerae size can be done reasonably accurately on "certain" genera. Of course this can be a floored method, due to its inconsistancy. Whether Haploplema applies here I have no clue :) Additionally, if the young male is penultimate, even apenultimate, a quick glance at the palpal tarsi morphology can help, due to the formation of the cymbium/embolus distorting the typical tarsal form. Typical female penutlimate palpal tarsi look intergral with all other tarsi, but in the males, the form is distorted somewhat and can look "pear shaped". But, only in apenultimates and penultimates this will apply.

What I would do is get the spider into a clear glass jar and shine a torch on the underbelly, looking for the black half moon of love ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi Leon,
This is true, however sexual determination from chelicerae size can be done reasonably accurately on "certain" genera. Of course this can be a floored method, due to its inconsistancy. Whether Haploplema applies here I have no clue :) Additionally, if the young male is penultimate, even apenultimate, a quick glance at the palpal tarsi morphology can help, due to the formation of the cymbium/embolus distorting the typical tarsal form. Typical female penutlimate palpal tarsi look intergral with all other tarsi, but in the males, the form is distorted somewhat and can look "pear shaped". But, only in apenultimates and penultimates this will apply.

What I would do is get the spider into a clear glass jar and shine a torch on the underbelly, looking for the black half moon of love ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks steve !! i will try to take a macro pic of her moon of love hahahahahaha

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cpt.nemO said:
Thanks steve !! i will try to take a macro pic of her moon of love hahahahahaha
That will be very difficult, the females don't possess a black moon of love ;) You'd be hoping NOT to see it. LOL, the moon of love are the epiandrous fusillae, only ever found on males, do a search on these boards and you'll find all the info you'd need :)

A word of advice, based on your comment above, stay out of strange bars and avoid masculine looking women ;) "I's just hackin' on ya Nemo"

Last edited:

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
That will be very difficult, the females don't possess a black moon of love ;) You'd be hoping NOT to see it. LOL, the moon of love are the epiandrous fusillae, only ever found on males, do a search on these boards and you'll find all the info you'd need :)

A word of advice, based on your comment above, stay out of strange bars and avoid masculine looking women ;) "I's just hackin' on ya Nemo"

hehehhehehe my bad, thx.

harrymaculata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
to set the record straight i have it on good authority that both males and females have blue untill the final moult then the males go a blueee blacky with stripes but the male doesn't take this transformation till his ultimate moult so wait or sex via moults caus any other method is too unreliable :wall: :D males are equally as beautiful and you can mate it if its a male then you'll get loadsa sling ones bound to be fem :D

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys, i have wonderful news, my other lividum a 2 - 3cm sling just moltes its now with more or less 5-6 cm and with the original colours already.

Here is a pic of it before:

And here it is fresh out of the molt:

Cpt.nemO

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Surprise Surprise :)

Well today i arrived from work and was surprised by liv. It had built a tunnel within less than 20 hours (estimate). She has been in her new tank for 2 days now and she has already built a tunnel. Well i guess i got the environment and the climatic conditions from the tank quite similar to that of her natural environment ;).

I also took some pics of the pedipalps but they are very bad quality ones. Plz see if any of can see any indication that it might become a male.

Thx u all once again.

nemo.

Tunnel:

Pedipalps: