Species Cyriopagopus lividus (a.k.a. Haplopelma lividum)

TeePete

Arachnopeon
Rehoming was fun when we got home. She was not a happy camper.
Attach2963_20160821_191913.jpg
Attach2964_20160821_191956.jpg
Attach2974_20160821_192026.jpg

She decided she wasn't a fan of her substrate, so she spent the evening on the side of her tank.
20160821_235535.jpg

Got home from work today and saw that she had been a busy girl.

20160822_183023.jpg

Attempted a feed, didn't go quite as planned. She was more annoyed than anything. Immediately turned on the tongs and went to bolt. Mini heart attack!!! I'll try again tomorrow. I was told she was a hearty eater by her breeder but she might be a bit skittish yet.
20160822_223039.jpg
20160822_223112.jpg
I'm so in love.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Bravo, they are great T's. Give her time, she needs to settle into her new home and burrow. It's normal :)

TeePete

Arachnopeon
Bravo, they are great T's. Give her time, she needs to settle into her new home and burrow. It's normal :)
Thanks for the advice! Didn't actually mean to come home with her, she just kind of happened. I'm a novice but she was so attitudey that I felt we needed to be together. I don't know much about this species except from care sheets I've pulled up. Hopefully I can keep her happy. She's at room temp, high humidity, 4-5" of wet coco fiber to burrow in, no hide and an overfull water dish. Any words of wisdom?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, I can give you a couple of advice, man :)

First, don't rely, at all, to those hygrometer for the humidity part. A water dish always full and moist substrate are enough as well for room temperature as you said.

Personally I offer always more than 4/5 inches of substrate to obligate burrowers. Always. For those I say, a minimum of 7/8. Also add a piece of cork bark, they love to burrow under, and an always appreciated thing for T's.

I'm sure that you know this, now, but a friendly reminder: keep an eye, because they possess a bit of nasty temperament, a potent bite, and speed. I personally saw one of mine, years and years ago (first 2000) perform a 40 cm coast to coast enclosure in two seconds, ah ah.

TeePete

Arachnopeon
Yes, I can give you a couple of advice, man :)

First, don't rely, at all, to those hygrometer for the humidity part. A water dish always full and moist substrate are enough as well for room temperature as you said.

Personally I offer always more than 4/5 inches of substrate to obligate burrowers. Always. For those I say, a minimum of 7/8. Also add a piece of cork bark, they love to burrow under, and an always appreciated thing for T's.

I'm sure that you know this, now, but a friendly reminder: keep an eye, because they possess a bit of nasty temperament, a potent bite, and speed. I personally saw one of mine, years and years ago (first 2000) perform a 40 cm coast to coast enclosure in two seconds, ah ah.
Thanks for the heads up! For now, until I can get her into a deeper enclosure, I can't give her any more substrate. I feel bad rehoming her after she just spun that beautiful web mat but she needs to be in something a bit deeper. She's definitely lightning quick, and a jumper. Scares the crap out of me! Lol. Rehoming again should be super fun. I am terrified.

BTW, I'm a lady. Lol, new weird hobby for me. I know my username makes people think I'm a guy. Pete was just my first T's name. =)

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
BTW, I'm a lady. Lol, new weird hobby for me. I know my username makes people think I'm a guy. Pete was just my first T's name. =)
You are right. Sorry for that :embarrassed:
I tend always to look, but here is pure morning now, my eyes are red, lol, and I missed that detail.

Keep an eye, always... they are fast, and loves to bite.

Granted, they need more substrate, but with time she probably will start to burrow. If you can, however, add a piece of cork bark :)

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
isnt this like your second T? not a great idea, best of luck though... beautiful spder btw dont bother with the hydrometer/temp gauge.

TeePete

Arachnopeon
You are right. Sorry for that :embarrassed:
I tend always to look, but here is pure morning now, my eyes are red, lol, and I missed that detail.

Keep an eye, always... they are fast, and loves to bite.

Granted, they need more substrate, but with time she probably will start to burrow. If you can, however, add a piece of cork bark :)
No biggie. I don't plan on handling or dealing with her much aside from maintenance and feeding, of course using tongs.

I know she's not a starter T. But she was pretty and had attitude and that's my jam. =)

TeePete

Arachnopeon
isnt this like your second T? not a great idea, best of luck though... beautiful spder btw dont bother with the hydrometer/temp gauge.
What can I say. I like to live on the edge. 'Preciate your concern, though. The gauge was in there from a previous reptile pet. Doesn't hurt to keep it in there and I don't plan on sticking appendages in there to get it out at this point.

KeiraJ

Arachnopeon
Exactly a month later my beautiful girl resurfaces. She has made a burrow network and seems to be very happy. She has had a cricket and some mealworms today.

Who says C. Lividus are difficult for beginners? Pfft. She's a complete darling!!!

Attachments