Cyriopagopus husbandry

Nick Cutler

Arachnopeon
I'm currently looking into the cyriopagopus genus and was looking for some help in husbandry for the genus? Thanks in advance

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Fossorial, very quick, can be very defensive especially if they don’t have enough room to burrow, need deep moist substrate throughout their lives. Deep moist substrate and a water dish is all they need or care about, the rest is creative freedom.

note: there are a couple species in Cyriopagopus, such as Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati that are arboreal and would better be called Ornithoctoninae sp. Hati Hati, so research the specific species, but to most members of this genus such as the lividus, the minax, the vonworthi, etc. the above applies.

Scp682

Arachnoknight
Fossorial, very quick, can be very defensive especially if they don’t have enough room to burrow, need deep moist substrate throughout their lives. Deep moist substrate and a water dish is all they need or care about, the rest is creative freedom.

note: there are a couple species in Cyriopagopus, such as Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati that are arboreal and would better be called Ornithoctoninae sp. Hati Hati, so research the specific species, but to most members of this genus such as the lividus, the minax, the vonworthi, etc. the above applies.
Yes, I've also heard omothymus sp. Hati hati but i think it's just a coined term.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, I've also heard omothymus sp. Hati hati but i think it's just a coined term.
It's an undescribed species. Any genus or family name tied to it is an educated guess at best. As we get more data, those ties can change, both for described and undescribed species.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
A enclosure full of dirt and plenty of ventilation to prevent mold or fungus growth as they prefer moist substrate. Here are a few of my setups as an idea.

Just curious as to what tarantula from the genus are you thinking of adding? There are no wrong answers as they are all frikin awesome anyways. If it's a schmidti I am going to be extremely jealous as it's the only one I dont have from the genus.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That's just a guess made by some sellers (either that or people saw Ornithoctoninae sp. "Hati Hati" abbreviated to O. sp. "Hati Hati" and just assumed the O stood for Omothymus), it may get placed there when it actually gets described but it should be referred to as Ornithoctoninae sp. "Hati Hati" until then (same deal with sp. "Valhalla").

Nick Cutler

Arachnopeon

Ahh I see thank you. Im in
A enclosure full of dirt and plenty of ventilation to prevent mold or fungus growth as they prefer moist substrate. Here are a few of my setups as an idea.

Just curious as to what tarantula from the genus are you thinking of adding? There are no wrong answers as they are all frikin awesome anyways. If it's a schmidti I am going to be extremely jealous as it's the only one I dont have from the genus.
I'm actually grabbing a valhalla from fear not and I heard the are more like hati hati as they are arboreal?

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Ahh I see thank you. Im in

I'm actually grabbing a valhalla from fear not and I heard the are more like hati hati as they are arboreal?
Don't know never heard of a valhalla. If it's arboreal disregard my fossorial enclosures as you will have to set up your enclosure differently.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Cyriopagopus is a fossorial genus so any arboreal species being sold under that name are mislabelled (Cyriopagopus sp. "Valhalla" should be labelled Ornithoctoninae sp. "Valhalla" for now).

Setup/care is the same as any other Asian arboreal, enough moist sub so that they can burrow if they want, a wide bark piece leant vertically into a side or corner (you can use cork tubes but don't expect to see your tarantula much/at all if you do), plant cover around the base of the bark, and a water dish.

Sling setup (Omothymus schioedtei)
Non Avic setup 1.jpg

Juvenile setups (these are just generic non-Avic arboreal setups but I've raised Phormingochilus, Lampropelma, and Omothymus juvies in them)
Non Avic setup 3.jpg

Nick Cutler

Arachnopeon
Cyriopagopus is a fossorial genus so any arboreal species being sold under that name are mislabelled (Cyriopagopus sp. "Valhalla" should be labelled Ornithoctoninae sp. "Valhalla" for now).

Setup/care is the same as any other Asian arboreal, enough moist sub so that they can burrow if they want, a wide bark piece leant vertically into a side or corner (you can use cork tubes but don't expect to see your tarantula much/at all if you do), plant cover around the base of the bark, and a water dish.

Sling setup (Omothymus schioedtei)
View attachment 379938

Juvenile setups (these are just generic non-Avic arboreal setups but I've raised Phormingochilus, Lampropelma, and Omothymus juvies in them)
View attachment 379939
Thank you thank you!! Seems to be the only one with an arboreal answer. I appreciate it and didn't know they were having trouble classifying this species

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thank you thank you!! Seems to be the only one with an arboreal answer. I appreciate it and didn't know they were having trouble classifying this species
Currently it's still an undescribed species (same with sp. "Hati Hati"), the issue with them being sold under the wrong genus name lies with sellers and their suppliers (these people aren't taxonomists, and there are still people who vehemently dislike the Haplopelma/Cyriopagopus revision and refuse to update the names).