Genus Cyriopagopus (a.k.a. Haplopelma)

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You should see mine then,i have my lividum ina large plastic sweet jar,it has dug a 12" burrow down the side and has cleared the bottom completely and has webbed most of the wall so i cant see in the clever *******,if i did want to get her out i would say i would have to flood her out as there is no possible way of digging her out as the container is to narrow at the top!
Ah well!

Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Even the spiderlings produce amazing burrows if given enough room...

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Bry,

Originally posted by Bry

Question for all of you Haplo keepers...what kind of containers do you keep your Haplos in? I heard someone recommend a Rubbermaid cereal box, as they are deep enough to allow a deep burrow. But, they don't exactly strike me as something roomy enough horizontally should they ever decide to come out of their burrows.
If you keep them under proper conditions they don't come out of their burrow to wander arround. They just come to the entrance of the burrow, sit there and wait for pasing prey. Only adult males leave their burrow, wander arround in search for a female they can mate with.
IMHO, if your Haplopelma spp. is wandering arround in it's cage, climbing arround and trying to escape, there is something wrong with the conditions you keep it.

I keep mine in cereal boxes and the larger ones in special designed glass tanks which are desbribed in this article:
  • VON WIRTH, V. & HUBER, M. (2002): Einige Praxis-Tipps zur Haltung von Haplopelma Arten und anderen Röhren bewohnenden Vogelspinnen. DeArGe Mitteilungen 7(11): 14-23.
You can download this article for free as PDF file: >>click here<<. See also this thread: >>click here<<.
An english reprint of the above mentioned article will be published soon in the Journal of the British Tarantuly Society.
all the best,
Martin

PS.: Here are some photos of my Haplopelma-tanks:

Attachments

Last edited:

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Haplopelma schmidti "dark form" (Selenocosmia hainana/Ornithoctonus hainana)
Premoult condition:
(Warning - Lots of images!)

Last edited:

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Martin,
My lividum lives the exact same way as yours,burrowed straight down to the bottom,only difference is mine ina large sweet jar.

But i have to say martin you take some great pictures;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I REALLY want one of the "Chinese Golden Earthtigers" but don't know the sci name. Does anyone know which one it is?

I'd LOVE to see a pic of one too. (hint hint.;) )

The Hapolopelmas are quickly becoming a favorite of mine. My lividium is unmatched in beauty and my longipedum in unmatched in attitude. I keep mine similar to Martin (I literally studied the thread he posted previously!) and my "Haps" stay underground until dinner time when they come to the top and happily devour crix annd turn circles in bliss!

If I REALLY want to see them, I use the holes in the bottom as an insertion point for my bbq skewer, and GENTLY nudge them out of their hiding places.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont see how they can be happy in a container so small... I mean I know you guys know more than me ... but it isnt even as wide as its legs span...

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I DO believe a schmidti will be in my very near future. Anybody want to trade ONE for 60 little g. roseas?=D

As far as size goes, Ts don't generally jog. They prefer to stay very close to home and don't need much exercise to keep that fit and trim look. They are actually happier and more secure in a smaller area, if you give them a BIG HUGE tank, they will construct a tiny little cozy space. Like kangaroos, they prefer to be in their own little "pouch"!!=D

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Right. I completley understand that... but I imagine that they should at least have the option of stretching their legs.... I just set up a ten gal for my H.lividum I am getting shortly... I am looking at and going... this is to big for a 5.5 inch spider... and am probobly going to down size... but I wouldnt give it anything less than 1 and 1/2 times legspan in width....

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
I DO believe a schmidti will be in my very near future. Anybody want to trade ONE for 60 little g. roseas?=D

As far as size goes, Ts don't generally jog. They prefer to stay very close to home and don't need much exercise to keep that fit and trim look. They are actually happier and more secure in a smaller area, if you give them a BIG HUGE tank, they will construct a tiny little cozy space. Like kangaroos, they prefer to be in their own little "pouch"!!=D
Tell that to scarlett who wonders ever 1 gallosn of her tank lol! but then agao scarlett is unusualy physco even for a rosie

Ryan V

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Deliverme314:
Let me reiterate.....The H. schmidti is in that enclosure for quarantine purposes! She is being treated with Hypoaspis miles, for a small (very small) mite infestation. The smaller enclosure helps to concentrate the predatory mites, which will produce better results.....

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Ryan V
Deliverme314:
Let me reiterate.....The H. schmidti is in that enclosure for quarantine purposes! She is being treated with Hypoaspis miles, for a small (very small) mite infestation. The smaller enclosure helps to concentrate the predatory mites, which will produce better results.....
sorry, must have missed that.

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wasn't really planning on getting new T's when I went out for crix that day, so I'm making use of what I had vacant, but today I'm planning on getting both my Haplopelmas new enclosures that will allow them more burrowing room. Here's what I'm keeping the lividum in for now... she seems happy enough with it.