Genus Cyriopagopus (a.k.a. Haplopelma)

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by phormingochilus
Here's my dark schmidti ;-)

Søren
That spider reminds me of a C. thorelli/schioedtei/whatever adult female. :)

-Kelly

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It seems that they can be partially tamed. When I was dealing with their mite problems, I found that frequent handling (e.g. twice per week) will make them lose temper, just like the scorpion S. spinifer which can become as docile as Emperors.

As dark as O. hainana:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
That spider reminds me of a C. thorelli/schioedtei/whatever adult female. :)

-Kelly
It's all in the eye of the beholder, but C. schioedtei doesn't posses the very pronounced "sideburns" of the H. schmidti, and furthermore has relatively longer and more slender legs, with laterally widened scopula on metatarsus which only covers about 3/4 of the segment distally - you don't see that in this spider ;-)

Søren

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would say that Cyriopagopus schioedtei looks more like the Lampropelma species than H. schmidti. The same with the genus that Søren has used as his username, Phormingochilus. Are those three(Cyriopagopus, Lampropelma and Phormingochilus) closely related?

Robert

Hallidaykill55

Arachnopeon
H. albostriatum

Is it normal for males and females of the same species to have different markings on the abdomen? For example I have what I was told to be a male H. albostriatum and I saw what I believe to be a female of the same species in the pet store for thirty dollars. They look identical except that the male has the traditional tiger bandin on his abdomen and the female does not. Are these two spiders of the same species or am I confused. I need to know asap because I intend to snatch her up and breed her to my male. Let me know.

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: H. albostriatum

Originally posted by Hallidaykill55
Is it normal for males and females of the same species to have different markings on the abdomen? For example I have what I was told to be a male H. albostriatum and I saw what I believe to be a female of the same species in the pet store for thirty dollars. They look identical except that the male has the traditional tiger bandin on his abdomen and the female does not. Are these two spiders of the same species or am I confused. I need to know asap because I intend to snatch her up and breed her to my male. Let me know.
It is indeed very common. Most species that I know of within Ornithoctoninae show sexual dimorphism - that is - males and females look noticeably different.

Best regards and best of luck with the breeding project ;-)

Søren