josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cyriocosmus sp. venezuela

as of 2 days ago, i have 100+ slings from the female pictured above. {D

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Beautiful pictures of these little ones. So Cyriocosmus perezmilesi = sp "venezuela"? Does sp. "Boliva" have a name yet?
HW Auer...fantastic collection!

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just to correct what Mikhail said(wich, i'm pretty sure he was just not paying enough atention when writing) C.sp. "Venezuela"is cosidered just a form of C.elegans. There is a name they use but i just can't remember it right now.

@Hans, congrats on the breedings!

brgn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
just to correct what Mikhail said(wich, i'm pretty sure he was just not paying enough atention when writing) C.sp. "Venezuela"is cosidered just a form of C.elegans. There is a name they use but i just can't remember it right now.

@Hans, congrats on the breedings!
Maybe you are thinking of "Cyriocosmus elegans aureus"?

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So C perezmilesi has the "oval" patch and C sp "Venezuela" has the heart patch like C elegans, but no triangle? I am looking for a comparison chart (I think it's Martin Gamache's). If anyone can point me there, I'd appreciate it. I know there are differences in the colors of the undersides of these two species as well.

*EDIT*
I found what I was looking for.
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=968846&postcount=225
I will try to get pictures of mine today. Kudos to all that have posted such incredible photos. It is NOT easy!

Last edited:

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Unfortunately subspecies are considered invalid in spiders. The sp. "Venezuela" needs to be redescribed...it is not "elegans". And since C. elegans was described first, it takes precedence.

Chris

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do not think it was ever described as such, as far as I know it is a completly made up hobby name (the C. elegans aureus). It is not very much used, I believe most people simply label it as Cyriocosmus sp. Venezuela.

So the species needs to be described if in fact it is a different one.

Indeed, the ventral pattern of the opisthosoma is very different then C. elegans, it is similar to C. leetzi. And of course, as everyone knows, it does not have any triangle on the prosoma. Not sure if the male palp has ever been seriously compared with C. elegans.

All the best

Martin

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thank you Martin and Chris.Here's some pictures of my trio. I did the best I could. And I hope I labeled them correctly.
C elegans (tip of index finger for reference)

C sp. "Venezuela"

(underside)

C perezmilesi

(down under)

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds right!

Congratulations Hans Werner for the sac! I am pretty sure it is good!;)

Here are a few other pictures to add to thread

C. sellatus

and C. bertae

Take care

Martin