Genus Cyriocosmus

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Tom,

Congrats on your sac's Eric and Martin.:worship:
Thanks! :)

I just now separated the spiderlings from the mother. I let them hatch out with the mother and fed them once while still together.

I have 142 separated... but I lost a few here and there that scurried off and blended into my flooring! It's time consuming separating these little ones out of the substrate, but I rarely ever pull eggsacs anymore. It seems like a pretty good total, considering the female's not full grown.

Eric

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Éric,

sounds like a nice averidge sac. You must of had fun with the babies in the substrate, it happened to me once because I never found the sac in the first place.

Now you know how much fun I had a couple of years ago when I had close to 1000 babies to seperate in a few months period!

Congrats again, always nice to see this species bred.

Martin

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You can already see the difference in the pattern of the abdomen from Mori's specimens.

If you look back at Mori's post, not the recent one, but the older pictures a few post back, the specimen already shows he 4th line developping.

On my specimen, which is more advanced, probably the same size as the specimen pictured by Mori in his last posts, you cannot see any fourth line.

Will be nice to continue comparing as they grow.

Martin

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To continue with what Martin said, and for those who don't know...

It's important to recognize that abdominal patterning is critical in the identification/description of many species of Cyriocosmus. See the 2005 revision of this genus:

Fukushima, C.S., R. Bertani & P.I. da Silva, Jr. 2005. Revision of Cyriocosmus Simon, 1903, with notes on the genus Hapalopus Ausserer, 1875 (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Zootaxa 846: 1-31.

The spiderlings for sale right now as "leetzi/Venezuela" have 4 (maybe 5 depending on age) stripes on the abdomen. If you were to use the key contained in the paper listed above, these spiders will NOT key-out to C. leetzi.

Fabian Vol described C. leetzi in 1999 with specimens from Columbia. C. leetzi are described as having only 3 strips on the dorsal abdomen.

Eric

AlainL

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Martin,

That is very good work:clap:

You should make a poster with this.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Awesome Martin.:worship: Thanks for being bored.

Later, Tom

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks everyone.

Here is version 2 already done thanks to the Darkness and another colleague that is not on the boards here.

Should be a version 3 shortly with a few more species.

Eventually, I will try to make a better version, I have done the croppings relatively fast and some pictures can be improved, but that is just for fun.

Take care

Martin

Attachments

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus sp. "leetzi"

It's a wee little thing...

enjoy,
Chris

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
C. elegans bred in a 40 dram . She's just shy of 1 inch, the male was bigger. It only took about 2 weeks from the only mating, to sac production.

later, Tom

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hello Martin!

Thanks everyone.
Here is version 2 already done thanks to the Darkness and another colleague that is not on the boards here.
Should be a version 3 shortly with a few more species.
Eventually, I will try to make a better version, I have done the croppings relatively fast and some pictures can be improved, but that is just for fun.
Take care Martin
Great work indeed, very useful for this group!
May I use it as always? :eek:

BTW. 2 of those Yours Cyrios seems so females!!! Thank You!