Cyriocosmus ritae owners and an unfortunate death

famish

Arachnopeon
Greetings fellow tarantula enthusiasts. I am so upset. My C. ritae died for no apparent reason last night. I have been keeping tarantulas successfully for over 20 years and have only lost two specimens ever. The little sling (3rd or 4th instar I believe) was purchased about 9 months ago and was active, hungry, well hydrated and had molted about 5 times in that span. I noticed that it was a bit sluggish for a few days prior to its death and I thought perhaps it was in pre-molt. It didn't die molting from what I can tell as it wasn't on its back nor was it in a death curl. No mites or fungus either. I was pretty upset as any of you would be or have been to lose a T. I was so excited about this one as I had never had any Cyriocosmus species before.
Anyway, any thoughts or similar experiences from C. ritae keepers? Perhaps it just died? Best to all.

Last edited:

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The highest time of mortality with spiders is molting, premolt, and post molt. Things go wrong externally or internally, and you suddenly have a healthy spider die. Since slings and juveniles molt often, you're going to have more of that happen with them. I always recommend get several slings of each species at a time, so you get a female, and to cover molt-related losses.

famish

Arachnopeon
Thanks Poec54. Makes sense and that's definitely good advice - tripling up on the slings...

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
It always sucks to lose slings
Yes it does, but even under ideal conditions all of them aren't going to live to become adults. That's one reason they produce as many eggs as they do. Molting is an incredible ordeal for them to go thru.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Had the same thing happen with my B. auratum sling recently. Molted and then died a couple weeks after. Really sad to see and sorry for your loss, famish.