whitehaze2008

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
does anyone own this species?
is this a tiny tiny spider or am i looking at juv?:wall:

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine's a sling and I can hardly see it. It's a dwarf and possibly the smallest tarantula?

--Chris

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It's definately tiny! I'm not sure about it being THE smallest, but it's one of the smallest.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen pics of supposed adults sitting comfortably on top of pennies. The smallest tarantula? Probably too damn small to have been discovered yet.

spiders4life

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Its a tiny species of tarantula. Quite qute actually, and wow those colours!!
Just a pitty that it wont get the sieze of a blondi, or just a Brachy:rolleyes: That would 4 sure be my favorite spider!!
I can get one for you, if you cant find one closer to you (I live in Denmark, so the stamp will probably cost you more than the spider;) ).

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think it must be one of the smallest if not the smallest species available.
i just recieved a mature female (felt i needed one to breed with my mature male)...they really can fit on a penny. very small, and very pretty. i couldnt imagine how small their slings are :confused:

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi!

Thanks!
Yes, they're not really long-living tarantulas. Adult female`s age I believe is not longer than 6-7 years, but at the same point, many others like Holothele incei, Pterinochilus spp and some others live not very muc of them.

PhormictopusMan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah ok, so they will be here a bit longer then. The site states twelve months for both male and female.

--Chris

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He means time to maturity...so the females will obviously live longer than that.

Chris

Flying

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If both males and females take about the same time to mature, it would mean that they are very prone to in-breeding. So if one was to get a male and a female of the same sack they could potentially breed them with succes, producing, what some fear, in-bred Ts?

ednep

Arachnopeon
i know some in our group having them, the color of the carapace is almost golden to tan....max size around 2 inches....and yes short lived...your lucky having them for 4 yrs...even for a female :(

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
inbreeding is much less of a problem in invertebrates than it is in vertebrates...even after many, many, many generations. It lends itself to their amazing ability to colonize habitat.

Chris

BedroomEyzOfBlu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is a dwarf species with mature sizes at approximately 2" - 2.5" (for females)

I have a pair of Cyriocosmus elegans and 5 slings as well.

My male matured quite tiny - about 1" legspan and my female is double his size. Slings are about the size of a mosquito when they are old enough to eat. Before that, I can't tell you as I bout them as fledged slings.

I can add this as well, they get awesome leg stripings when they reach maturity.

My Female: (Pictured on my fingers)

My Male: (Note the measurements on the ruler are Centimetres)

Slings: