Curious: Scorp vs Bullet Ant sting

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok so a bullet ant rates as a 4.0+ on the Schmidt Sting Pain Index.

Where do some scorpions fit in? or even a tarantula?

Has anyone here been tagged by a Bullet Ant?

calum

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nope but i've been tagged by a p.imp and that's weak country for a scorpion and it was bad enough.

but i'd imagine that some buthids have horribly painful stings.

CT9A

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what ive read about bull ant bites are somewhat similar to buthid stings. Ive been stung by B. Jacksoni and C. Scupt. Havent been bit by a bull ants, although my guess would be that a scorpions sting would be more painful (buthid) This is just a guess and again I Haven't been biten by a bull ant.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was in Peru over the summer and witnessed someone getting stung by a bullet ant and let me tell you it did not look fun. THey areaggressive beasts and the scary things is that that are MASSIVE almost 2 inches.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some scorpion stings are definitely more dangerous, but the bullet ant is purported to have the most painful sting. Not sure there has to be a correlation between how deadly and how painful a sting is. Probably not.

signinsimple

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, on http://www.painfulbite.com, the bullet ant is rated the most painful out of everything.
Yeah that makes sense. It is supposed to be the most painful. Might have to do with the survival strategy of the ant. The bullet ant is a social insect who's 1st and foremost concern is defense of the nest, so maybe their venom evolved to hurt as much as possible to scare off threats to the nest, not necessarily to kill. The scorpions are solitary predators and the deadly one's evolved their venom to kill their prey as quickly as possible...maybe to prevent potential injuries. But, you can see 2 main strategies in scorpions: Venom & claws. Some species developed the claws as the main weapon for hunting, others the venom (thicker tail). I'd be interested in learning if the pain of some of the less deadly scorpions was more than the deadly ones. It wouldn't shock me if there were some large clawed scorps who developed their venom as mainly defensive and targeted it to hurt it's main predators as much as possible, while relying on the claws mainly for hunting.

RichardMorris

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was in Peru over the summer and witnessed someone getting stung by a bullet ant and let me tell you it did not look fun. THey areaggressive beasts and the scary things is that that are MASSIVE almost 2 inches.
do bullet ants sting or bite? you said sting.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bullet ants sting and bite, and no not all ants sting.
What I meant was that the ones that cause pain are the ones that sting.
We're not talking about painless ants.
Leelz

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I know someone who has been gotten by a bullet ant and by C.margaritatus (we believe, could have been another Centruroides in Costa Rica). The ant hurt a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot, lot, lot more but the scorpion sting resulted in a tinny taste in his mouth and was a lot more worrying to him.

Cheers,
Dave

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What I meant was that the ones that cause pain are the ones that sting.
We're not talking about painless ants.
Leelz
I was just clarifying is all, your statement was refering to all the ants not just the painful ones.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a picture of a bullet ant i'll try and find. The things are fun to mess with(with a long stick of course) they go for just about anything.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, if someone gets some in, I'm willing to bite the bullet and get stung by the ant. :cool:
me too, send some my way and we will see just how bad they are. I got no qualms with any venomous creature, as long as theres a good chance i wont die. Ive taken it from a lionfish, rabbitfish, longspine urchin, fire ant, tarantulas, emperor scorp, bees, hornets. i dont mind. i wouldnt do the lion again though, lost the use of my arm for like 2 weeks, w/ bad bad blisters and swelling. By far the lion beats all in venom dept. in my experience. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE pain from the lion, i remember almost passing out trying to make it to the sink, scalding water (breaks the venom down) was like a refreshing splash in a pool on top of the burning in my arm