Curious about B. Albo moult frequency.

Arachnanoob95

Arachnopeon
Hi all
I have a B. Albo nicaragua sling. I first received it on june 13th this year. It looked whitish with black spot on abdomen (like almost all those slings do in the beginning). After receiving it, it burrowed away and I didn't really see it anymore. It has a big burrow and made like a tunnel at the bottom. Sometimes I saw it in the tunnel but it usually hid away whenever it's enclosure was disturbed. I know it moulted once, because it pushed pieces of the moult out of its burrow during big burrow maintenance and redecoration. It was never a good eater, just stayed inside the burrow. I once saw it, maybe two weeks ago, inside the tunnel and it looked pitch black, the abdomen was shiny black, so I figured: pre-moult.
Now the last week it changed in behaviour. Burrow is opened and it always hangs out in the entrance, just chilling I guess. Also, it's eating really well now.
Basically, I think it had moulted twice in two months.
Every one always mentioned that brachy species are slow growers so I certainly didn't expect two moults of this spider in such a short amount of time. So now I am curious if some of you here have data of your albos since its sling days. Curious to see the differences I guess. Or maybe it is common for young slings to moult often, don't know. Total newbie here.
I'll include some pics of T and enclosure. First pic is what the enclo looked like before the T arrived and wrecked the place .

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This species grows faster than most Brachypelmas. Not superfast but not slow eigher! I have bred this speicies and if i remember correctly, males matured in about 2 years! Females maybe 3-4 years

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
It really varies from specimen to specimen, you can probably get an average I got my sling a year ago and it has only moulted twice.
Sometimes moults take longer than others it just depends.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
A unique thing with some brachys and grammos, is that their growth rates can very quite a bit between individuals. But generally, albopilosum, along with vagans, are on the faster side of growth on the Brachypelma genus. Still rather "slow" if you compare with other species', but it's def not like watching a plant grow

Arachnanoob95

Arachnopeon
Good to know it might grow faster than I anticipated. I was mentally prepared for like 2-3 moults a year, maybe less.
I'm guessing maybe the temperature contributed to the faster growth rate. We had some intense heat waves here, with one entire week of temps between 35-40 degrees celsius. Terrible times ...

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I kept back a few from an egg sac last year and most of them were moulting every 4-6 weeks in the beginning. And that was being fed sometimes only once a week and being kept at room temperature.
Two moults in two months is not out of the ordinary for this species. As mentioned, it is a faster grower than many in the genus.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I got my sling (Nicaraguan form) on 1st July 2018 as a 2nd instar, moult dates are as followed:

07/28/18
08/27/18
10/11/18
12/04/18
02/08/19
04/19/19
07/10/19

So, 7 moults in a year. She is now about 3" (maybe a bit more). But I guess, she'll probably slow down now... we'll see. ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
No one can tell you for sure.

Got my Nicaraguan albopilosum as a 1cm sling in July 2017 (but I only have moult records from February 2018 onwards), she's moulted 4 times in the last year and a half and she still hasn't passed the 5cm mark yet. My Honduran albopilosum female took less time to go from 5cm to 10cm.

View media item 61878

Dev1lZ

Arachnopeon
My sling just went through a molt two days ago in its underground lair. It is still buried. How much time does it take for them to make a reappearance?

Arachnanoob95

Arachnopeon
My sling just went through a molt two days ago in its underground lair. It is still buried. How much time does it take for them to make a reappearance?
Hard to tell. I didn't know my sling moulted until it suddenly hung out at the entrance of the burrow. And the first time it moulted I never even saw it. It just pushed out pieces of the moult. Now I see it all the time, just chilling in the entrance but before its latest moult I hardly ever saw it.
Behaviour differs a lot from one individual to the next. Mine appeared I think several days after its moult but there's no guarantee yours will. If it's a particularly shy individual you might never see it.

Dev1lZ

Arachnopeon
Hard to tell. I didn't know my sling moulted until it suddenly hung out at the entrance of the burrow. And the first time it moulted I never even saw it. It just pushed out pieces of the moult. Now I see it all the time, just chilling in the entrance but before its latest moult I hardly ever saw it.
Behaviour differs a lot from one individual to the next. Mine appeared I think several days after its moult but there's no guarantee yours will. If it's a particularly shy individual you might never see it.
Thanks for the reply! I guess I will wait and see. It’s normally my best eater, so I’m sure that it’ll be ready in the next week or so.