Curiosity question about breeding?

ic32k

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I never breed, and also I will not do it in a future, but I always have this question in mind, as you can breed donkeys with horses, is possible to breed different types of tarantulas in the same species as B. Hamorii with B. Bohemei or Poeciloteria Metallia with P. Regalis. ???

cold blood

Staff member
Hybrids destroy a hobby that relies on captive breeding. Different species should never, under any circumstances, be bred together. But it is possible, and that's a big problem we deal with in the hobby...probably the single biggest problem.

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It is possible in some cases (like Brachypelma), and is the hated enemy of the tarantula hobby.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it is possible to crossbreed different tarantula species, particularly within the same genus - but doing so is widely frowned on. When the would-be breeder ends up with dozens (or even hundreds) of baby tarantulas, he or she may sell them or give them away. It can be difficult to tell the hybrids apart from the pure breds, particularly for the novice keeper, so once the hybrids are released into the hobby population, they may end up mistaken for pure breed spiders and used as breeders themselves, diluting the pure species and making it difficult to know exactly what you're getting anymore.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

ic32k

Arachnopeon
Sometimes the hibritation occurs in the nature, making new species and increasing the diversity.
I don't want to be inconsiderate, I just want to learn... Why this is the "biggest problem" or the "hated enemy" hibridation is something that people really do? The mules is know that are sterile, so I suppose if somebody breed different types of tarantulas their babies will be sterile too, so hibridating this way will make unsense to make profit, no?

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
I'll never do that, but it was a question I have in mind... I suppose that will be at first dangerous for the spiders as maybe they doesn't recognize each other as potential mate ending in two animals killed because an human not so smart wanted to experimentate with them....

So, this is something that really happens, I mean somebody already hybridated tarantulas and put in the hobby without thinking abut he/she was doing?
Any of the species that we have today in the hobby come from this practice like with the dogs???? almost every different kind of dog in the world is an human subproduct...

Last edited by a moderator:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Use the search function here to find several threads where questions like these are thoroughly answered and refuted

Example:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/b-vagans-x-b-albiceps.308932/

Some species in the hobby are widely believed to be hybrids, such as “hobby form” B. vagans and “hobby form” H. gigas. It muddies up the species and they lose their distinctiveness.

Dogs are a totally different case, because they are all the same species, bred for certain characteristics like hair length and color. Tarantulas are different species, and should never be mixed by us.

Sometimes the hibritation occurs in the nature, making new species and increasing the diversity.
I don't want to be inconsiderate, I just want to learn... Why this is the "biggest problem" or the "hated enemy" hibridation is something that people really do? The mules is know that are sterile, so I suppose if somebody breed different types of tarantulas their babies will be sterile too, so hibridating this way will make unsense to make profit, no?
Hybridization typically acts to REDUCE speciation. In the wild, new species are produced when two populations of a single species are isolated from each other, such as if they become separated by a river or mountain range. They gradually diverge, unless hybridization occurs to mix their genes again.

cold blood

Staff member
Sometimes the hibritation occurs in the nature, making new species and increasing the diversity
I don't think you understand how nature works. Hybridization occurs in the wild, yes, but its very very minimal and does NOT create new species.

Why this is the "biggest problem" or the "hated enemy" hibridation is something that people really do? The mules is know that are sterile
Its something many unscrupulous breeders have done...the problem is that unlike many hybrids, tarantulas do tend to be fertile, which will destroy the bloodline of every future breeding from these ts or their offspring.
hibridating this way will make unsense to make profit, no
Taking valuable species and creating worthless offspring is precisely the opposite of making a profit, its shooting yourself in the foot financially. To sell them to most people, one would need to lie and say they weren't hybrids...and this is another problem, as sadly, this has been done....and when that happens, any unknowing owner could breed one of these and further damage the bloodlines....once one hybridizes, there's no going back...both species are gone and every breeding thereafter just muddies the waters further.
So, this is something that really happens, I mean somebody already hybridated tarantulas and put in the hobby without thinking abut he/she was doing?
Yep, there are a few known species that have been known to be hybridized and it causes huge issues within the hobby...its also the main reason why biologists will not allow the hobby to produce and release offspring of endangered species back into the wild...as they can't be sure they are that species.
Any of the species that we have today in the hobby come from this practice like with the dogs???? almost every different kind of dog in the world is an human subproduct...
These things are night and day difference. Dogs are all the SAME species, Canis lupus familiaris...tarantulas are all separate, individual species.

Once ts are hybridized, both species lines end....forever...and a frankentarantula is produced.

To keep the species we have in the hobby around and true, they must be kept separate and not hybridized.

No self respecting tarantula owner would ever intentionally breed hybrids, or for that matter, want to buy one.

Hybridzation is 100% the product of ignorance.

Last edited:

ic32k

Arachnopeon
Use the search function here to find several threads where questions like these are thoroughly answered and refuted

Example:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/b-vagans-x-b-albiceps.308932
Good reading, thanks!!!

First of all I want to remember that this question was only curiosity and I'm agree that any kind of experimentation with our beloved critters is something horrible and undesirable...
@cold blood I maybe had to choose another word instead of species, different species cannot breed, maybe race is the correct word. I have to use the translator better the next time. I don't know about biology beyond the school lessons so is possible all the things I know are wrong...
The dogs first was wolves isn't it, and after years and years of isolation, adaptation and breeding become the canis familiaris, so we can say hybridation and time (soooo much time) can create new types of ¿races?

cold blood

Staff member
I maybe had to choose another word instead of species, different species cannot breed
By definition, hybridization is two different species breeding.

The dogs first was wolves isn't it, and after years and years of isolation, adaptation and breeding become the canis familiaris
The wolf is canis lupus.....famaliaris is a sub species of the same species.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
different species cannot breed, maybe race is the correct word
There are no races of tarantula, only species. The thread about B. albiceps and B. vagans breeding is breeding two different species. Some tarantula species are able to be cross-bred and produce viable offspring, but not all of them.

Venomgland

Arachnosquire
I wouldn't mind if someone would breed a T. Blondi with Euathlus sp red! Cutest birdeater ever!! ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
NO ONE wants FrankenTs in the hobby- no one with any ethics that is.

I wouldn't mind if someone would breed a T. Blondi with Euathlus sp red! Cutest birdeater ever!! ;)
If only a true gentle giant is discovered with Thrixopelma cyaneolum or E sp Red disposition.