Cubaris sp. ‘Panda King’

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Hello! Just want to get some input on my setup for this species as it’s my ‘first’ isopod that I’m actively purchasing (others have included ‘Dwarf Whites’ and ‘Dairy Cows’). I’m having success with the two mentioned species on coco coir mixed with leaf litter, however, with Cubaris sp. ‘Panda King’ I’d like to better my setup (and then upgrade the setup for the other two species).

I’m starting with a colony of 15+ individuals, so my first step is choosing an appropriate container size. I was thinking either a 7 1/4” L x 5 5/8” W x 6” H or (if that is too small) 15 1/4" L x 11 1/2" W x 6" H. Which one would be better in your opinion? I’ll be using a soldering iron to also make a few (3 or 4 on each side for the larger container or 2 or 3 on the smaller one on each side) ventilation holes.

Substrate. Saw that this species comes from limestone caves so wanted to ensure I’m using a proper substrate. The one I found contains these ingredients: Peat moss, decayed hard wood, hard wood saw dust, bat guano, earthworm casting, limestone powder, aspens shavings, sphagnum moss.

Other things to add on top: leaf litter (Red Maple, Red and White Oak, Yellow Poplar, Sweetgum, and Hickory, etc.), sphagnum moss, and a few cork park pieces.

Diet. Other than the things found in the enclosure, was going to supplement with freeze dried shrimp from Petsmart and fish flakes once a week. Would also add in a small piece of cuttle bone as well. Should I be adding any fruit/veggies?

Closing notes: Will keep 3/4 of the enclosure moistening distilled water.

How does all this sound? Thanks!

kurgara galatur

Arachnopeon
Sounds like a great setup.
Suggestions, and a caveat:
Zucchini and cucumber, thin slices.
They will nom cuttlebone for sure. Texas holey rock, aka honeycomb limestone, can also be used. They'll climb all over it, and it lasts longer.
Repashy Morning Wood is good. Pricey though.

And most important: once established, Panda Kings reproduce at an astounding rate. Geometric population growth. A. vulgare got nothing on them. I don't understand why pandas' 20220110_232433.jpg price is still high. Mine have outgrown three containers. You will need the larger enclosure. They are wonderful.

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Sounds good, bigger one works fine, like the post above said they reproduce extremely fast once they get going. I’d just make sure you aren’t paying too much for substrate

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@orchidloveXTM might also have some tips on care.

Sounds like a great setup.
Suggestions, and a caveat:
Zucchini and cucumber, thin slices.
They will nom cuttlebone for sure. Texas holey rock, aka honeycomb limestone, can also be used. They'll climb all over it, and it lasts longer.
Repashy Morning Wood is good. Pricey though.

And most important: once established, Panda Kings reproduce at an astounding rate. Geometric population growth. A. vulgare got nothing on them. I don't understand why pandas' View attachment 407721 price is still high. Mine have outgrown three containers. You will need the larger enclosure. They are wonderful.
Nice to see they have done so well for you!

Thanks,

Arthroverts