Crossbreeding T's?

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if crossbreeding in tarantulas happens, and if it does, what species usually come out of it? It would be pretty interesting to see a cross between Cyriopagopus lividus and Poecilotheria regalis just to give an example, however i don't think it could happen between those two for obvious too distand species matters.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Yes, Ts can't breed outside of their genus. Hybridization does happen, but it is highly frowned on in the hobby because it has the potential to water down the genetics of Ts bred in the hobby, among other reasons.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
AS @miss moxie has said it can happen, but it most definitely a practice all keepers avoid, the hobby would become so messed up, genes would be muddied, the spiders would not be as beautiful as pure bred specimens, it's just not done, not by true lovers of the hobby.

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Yes, Ts can't breed outside of their genus. Hybridization does happen, but it is highly frowned on in the hobby because it has the potential to water down the genetics of Ts bred in the hobby, among other reasons.
Too bad, would be interesting to see the results of such experiments however.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hoooo... damn, here we go.

Look, here's the short of it. There are hobbyists who truly care about the hobby. The hobby involves a true bloodline to sustain species. Note that "species" and "breed" are entirely different. With dogs, two breeds can reproduce and still make the same species. Pairing different species of tarantula is more akin to breeding lions and tigers rather than breeds of dog. They are different animals that are capable of reproducing. This does not mean that they should breed or never would have the opportunity to breed in the wild. To keep the purity in the species within the hobby, we must not hybridize. Legal import boarders are shutting down monthly, we're not sure what we own now may be illegal to own ten years from now. It's a slippery slope, as has been seen evident in Italy (ask @Chris LXXIX for more info on that). Hyrbids often look very similar to the real thing, and will eventually make their way into the hobby among unsuspecting collectors and breeders. So, the serious collectors take offense to this type of thing... even in concept. It shouldn't be done - end of story, no need for further discussion.

Let's keep this discussion cordial, yes?

Bunyan van Asten

Arachnoknight
Hoooo... damn, here we go.

Look, here's the short of it. There are hobbyists who truly care about the hobby. The hobby involves a true bloodline to sustain species. Note that "species" and "breed" are entirely different. With dogs, two breeds can reproduce and still make the same species. Pairing different species of tarantula is more akin to breeding lions and tigers rather than breeds of dog. They are different animals that are capable of reproducing. This does not mean that they should breed or never would have the opportunity to breed in the wild. To keep the purity in the species within the hobby, we must not hybridize. Legal import boarders are shutting down monthly, we're not sure what we own now may be illegal to own ten years from now. It's a slippery slope, as has been seen evident in Italy (ask @Chris LXXIX for more info on that). Hyrbids often look very similar to the real thing, and will eventually make their way into the hobby among unsuspecting collectors and breeders. So, the serious collectors take offense to this type of thing... even in concept. It shouldn't be done - end of story, no need for further discussion.

Let's keep this discussion cordial, yes?
I wasn't ever planning on doing it anyway, i was just interested in what would happen...

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I don't believe they can cross outside there genus. example; Some Brachypelma could breed with other Brachypelma but they are too different morphologicaly to breed with another genus like Avicularia, Phormictopus, etc..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It's a slippery slope, as has been seen evident in Italy (ask @Chris LXXIX for more info on that).
Very true my man. But actually once in Italy we pushed the whole T's 'hybrid' thing to a total new level, using Count Balsamo (Cagliostro) and Paracelso alchemy and secret books that someone lure out straight from Vatican secret archives.

This was the result: Brachypelma albopilosum mixed with an hippy bricklayer.

Still today this Theraphosidae-Homunculus is kept in a deep cellar... but God will never forgive us. Never.

Last edited by a moderator:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Fir some interesting conversations on this topic, put on your flame resistant gear and search for hybrids. This comes up pretty often and it usually dies down just as quickly. Short answer, don't. In fact, I would recommend you forget ever thinking about it. It's a powder keg topic and you're sitting on top of it with a hand full of sparklers.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I don't believe they can cross outside there genus. example; Some Brachypelma could breed with other Brachypelma but they are too different morphologicaly to breed with another genus like Avicularia, Phormictopus, etc..
If the hook fits...

miss moxie

Arachnoprince

...That would be why I said they can't breed outside of their genus?

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Similar species have in a way been cross breeding for millions of years. We know it as evolution. How else would we have similar species with different traits. For the most part most species have different reproductive organs where other species can't breed.
I do not support mankind trying to hybridize this process is best left to the professional mother nature.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Similar species have in a way been cross breeding for millions of years. We know it as evolution.
That's not quite what evolution is. Rather, evolution is a series of mutations within a species that just happen to be beneficial. It's true that there is evidence of two species essentially becoming one over time, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

How else would we have similar species with different traits.
Convergent evolution ;) Bats and Hawks and butterflies have wings yet aren't even remotely related. Similar solutions to the same problem. It goes the other way, as well. Wildly different solutions to the same problem - fancy colors to ward off predators versus camouflage to trick predators. Either way the goal is to not be eaten.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Speciation is also caused by divergent evolution, when a group of animals is separated by mountain upheaval, earthquakes, rivers/streams carving impassable canyons, etc.
there is not as much natural hybridization as one might think.