Critique my c versicolor enclosure

chelbelle92

Arachnopeon
I'm very new to the hobby and this is my first and only arboreal T so far. I have a sling that's very small, under 0.5 inch. Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice on improving the set up I have for it. I don't mist but I refill their little water dish 2-3 times a week and put a few drops on their web. I guess I was just expecting them to have a bit more webbing in there by now from the research I did before and started wondering if I was doing anything wrong. I also noticed this morning that theres a bunch of substrate in the web it has made. Is this normal? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How long have you had your little friend? It's a good sign that it's already webbing.

It's very smol. Slings that size need access to moist (not soggy) substrate. You'll want to watch the water dish for wicking, the dry soil will leech it out into the substrate. If your house is very dry it may be evaporating. Paired but low and high ventilation, it won't get stagnant in there unless the substrate gets swampy.

I especially appreciate the water drops on the webbing. I don't trust mine to use a water dish. I still keep one low and one up high about a step's reach from the top of their hide.

My first tarantula was also a C versicolor but I was set up for success in that he was already a juvenile and outside of the delicate sling stage.

As long as it can find food at water, no enclosure is too big, but they are easier to monitor in something smaller.

On the dirt curtains, normal, that is carefully selected for a masterpiece 🤣 not even uncommon for arboreal slings to burrow

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Personally, I’d put a taller piece of cork in there and leaves up higher. I use inverted Amac boxes and mine have all made canopies at the ceiling. I also affix a water dish up high.
Fat premolt sling:
IMG_2317.jpeg

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
Personally I would do more sub n put the decor higher but your baby has already webbed so must have been perfect for them already 😊 and your babbas opinion is the only one that matters in the long run 😉 gl n welcome to ab 🙂

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That will work for now

more cage furniture at top is better- not critical