Cringy tarantula videos

ArchMage

Arachnopeon
That's simply not true. Hence my post. ANY interaction on a youtube video equals a positive as it's interaction. So a video with 10k dislikes is better than a video with 9k likes in the youtube algorithm. Same goes with a comment. It's again interaction and just bumps the video up.
Has Youtube gave an official response on "any interaction" being a boost in the algorithm? I know comments and sharing increase interactions but from my understanding, likes/dislikes only affects your personal preference algorithm and some content creator's commenting about certain videos getting shadowbanned/delisted if the like/dislike ratio becomes too negative. It's all speculation though since AFAIK Youtube hasn't given an response on the matter or how likes/dislikes affect anything. There are some academic papers on it but that is still speculative and correlation doesn't always mean that is how the AI works.

My apologies if they have released a statement. I still think commenting criticisms and pointing out the problems of the videos, along with upvoting already made comments that highlight the issues of husbandry (or flat out animal abuse in some of these..) is a lot more beneficial rather than avoiding them. A simple comment can help a potential newbie or save a future T. Just my opinion though.

Dumu

Arachnopeon
If you have a Quest 2, find David Attenborough's Micro Monsters. The Deadly Lullaby episode is worth a look. Not really a "cringe worthy" video, but it did make me shudder.

Eva

Arachnosquire
Not sure this classifies as it is not cringeworthy in the same way as a cuddle fest video or any other inexperienced handling footage, but here you go...

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Not sure this classifies as it is not cringeworthy in the same way as a cuddle fest video or any other inexperienced handling footage, but here you go...

Poor spiders. Especially the freshly molted one.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Has Youtube gave an official response on "any interaction" being a boost in the algorithm? I know comments and sharing increase interactions but from my understanding, likes/dislikes only affects your personal preference algorithm and some content creator's commenting about certain videos getting shadowbanned/delisted if the like/dislike ratio becomes too negative. It's all speculation though since AFAIK Youtube hasn't given an response on the matter or how likes/dislikes affect anything. There are some academic papers on it but that is still speculative and correlation doesn't always mean that is how the AI works.
YouTube is pretty tight-lipped about how the recommendation algorithm works, because they don't want people gaming the system, and due to the involvement of machine learning, they may not even fully understand how it works. Speaking generally, the algorithm is designed to keep eyeballs on the (monetized?) content and thereby maximize ad revenue.

When viewed through that lens, an "unpopular" video that is getting a lot of dislikes and critical comments appears to be just as engaging as a popular video with a high number of likes.

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
tarantula kat is cringe hahahahahhaahhaah:lol:
I mean she does the job of making the T hobby appealing and is a decent communicator.

She also does so in a less ‘$500 blue rare tarantula bites me and goes missing !!’ type way which is beneficial.

Her enclosures raise a couple of concerns and you could describe some of her care as slightly amateurish but there is much, much worse.