Crickets And Superbeetles Won't Breed

Slavkleos

Arachnopeon
I've had superworms for about 2 months and crickets for about a month. Pupating the worms is easy, I have 3 males and 2 females and about 50 pupae. I've put 2 of the males in their own small container and left the last male with the 2 females but I haven't seen any eggs. They just spend all their time under the egg carton.

Same issue with the crickets, I hear chirping, they have all the food they could want (lamb chow, apple or cucumber and whatever I can find that is cricket friendly, even tried peanut butter and the first time they loved it then they avoided it like the plague the second time I offered it) and they chirp at night but the egg container (peat moss) is devoid of any eggs.

I'm still using vermiculite because I completely forgot about the person who said no substrate is better because it's easier to clean. Ever since I added proper ventilation with a mesh covered hole roughly 10" by 5" the smell (which is now confined to the heat pad) has mostly gone away and I barely see dead crickets, I get maybe 1 a day now). I even cut the hole myself using a blade thing I found at a hardware store, it's like a boxcutter but for cutting plastic.

Attachments

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
The morio worms should do better on a bedding of oats. If you google some of the stacking setups, then you won't even have to seperate the new ones from the old. The eggs and tiny ones just fall through the screen to not be eaten by the adults.

Slavkleos

Arachnopeon
The worms are in their own container with wheat bran and rolled oats to swim in. I haven't seen a single egg.

SolifugidSultanate

Arachnopeon
I'm unsure what the issue with the worms is, I keep my superworms in my general feeder bucket which is made of leftover substrate and they breed just fine, however, for the crickets, from what I remember, temperature is very important, I believe that it has to be around 80 degrees (F) for them to hatch, and around I think 70 for them to lay eggs

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I've had superworms for about 2 months and crickets for about a month. Pupating the worms is easy, I have 3 males and 2 females and about 50 pupae. I've put 2 of the males in their own small container and left the last male with the 2 females but I haven't seen any eggs. They just spend all their time under the egg carton.

Same issue with the crickets, I hear chirping, they have all the food they could want (lamb chow, apple or cucumber and whatever I can find that is cricket friendly, even tried peanut butter and the first time they loved it then they avoided it like the plague the second time I offered it) and they chirp at night but the egg container (peat moss) is devoid of any eggs.

I'm still using vermiculite because I completely forgot about the person who said no substrate is better because it's easier to clean. Ever since I added proper ventilation with a mesh covered hole roughly 10" by 5" the smell (which is now confined to the heat pad) has mostly gone away and I barely see dead crickets, I get maybe 1 a day now). I even cut the hole myself using a blade thing I found at a hardware store, it's like a boxcutter but for cutting plastic.
If you've had a bad smell and crickets dying it's because it's damp, too much humidity.

To breed any of the common feeders you need excellent ventilation and a high temperature, they will receive all their moisture from being fed orange slices, cucumber apple etc.
Dampness will soon kill a colony of crickets off.

A slice of potato, cucumber and some fish flakes will be relished by the worms.

Things like locust won't even survive unless they are being almost " cooked ".

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
If you've had a bad smell and crickets dying it's because it's damp, too much humidity.

To breed any of the common feeders you need excellent ventilation and a high temperature, they will receive all their moisture from being fed orange slices, cucumber apple etc.
Dampness will soon kill a colony of crickets off.

A slice of potato, cucumber and some fish flakes will be relished by the worms.

Things like locust won't even survive unless they are being almost " cooked ".
I find it strange he’s feeding crickets peanut butter ?? But there scavengers … is that bad ?
we can’t get locust here because native species went extinct, and no one imports them. Wow they need that high temperatures??
The morio worms should do better on a bedding of oats. If you google some of the stacking setups, then you won't even have to seperate the new ones from the old. The eggs and tiny ones just fall through the screen to not be eaten by the adults.
wish I had one of those things I can’t separate mealworms from the beetles :

Slavkleos

Arachnopeon
The beetles won't do the baby dance, tonight I checked on them and a female was missing, I saw one by itself so it could've been her. It's winter now and it has gotten unusually cold where I live, usually warm to unbearably hot in Coastal NSW. Last few days have been so cold jumpers are a necessity.

I cleaned out the superworm container, I had 3 worms. When I poured the stuff out into the bigger container (went through with my hands because the sifter I found in the kitchen is too fine for the wheat bran) I found about 20 more. They spent 2 months just sitting at the bottom of the jail. The frass didn't stick so now I have a mix of wheat bran, rolled oats and superworm islam.

Attachments

Slavkleos

Arachnopeon
The stench is present only because the crickets congregate at the heatpad. I just a couple minutes ago and the smell was there but I couldn't see any dead crickets.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
The beetles won't do the baby dance, tonight I checked on them and a female was missing, I saw one by itself so it could've been her. It's winter now and it has gotten unusually cold where I live, usually warm to unbearably hot in Coastal NSW. Last few days have been so cold jumpers are a necessity.

I cleaned out the superworm container, I had 3 worms. When I poured the stuff out into the bigger container (went through with my hands because the sifter I found in the kitchen is too fine for the wheat bran) I found about 20 more. They spent 2 months just sitting at the bottom of the jail. The frass didn't stick so now I have a mix of wheat bran, rolled oats and superworm islam.
I used a small deli cup for the beetles when I only had like 20 . mealworms
The stench is present only because the crickets congregate at the heatpad. I just a couple minutes ago and the smell was there but I couldn't see any dead crickets.
some people say crickets just smell bad but I haven’t kept them in a while.