Cricket Vitamins

SavesTheDay

Arachnopeon
Has anyone ever used that white vitamin power on their food items before feedings? It's sold as a reptile vitamin but i was just curious if anyone has ever tried it. I was thinking it might help fight whatever bacteria causes mites in a crickets digestive system. I mean we take vitamins to reduce the chances of getting sick in the winter so i figure it makes sense :confused: Not to say im not a dumbass or anything however :D

Mmm_Pies

Arachnopeon
The vitamin powders generally don't have any benefit for scorpions from memory, and i also remember reading a post about somebodies scorpion dying which they beleived to be down to the powder that they were adding.

I don't add any to mine, and i have minimal mite problems. If your having problems with mites chances are that you are not cleaning up the remainder of the crickets that you scorp leaves. This is what the mites tend to feed on first and are usually where i find mites in my tanks. Change the substrate and clean the tank or buy some predatory mites or dry the tank out completely as the mites only thrive in humid environments from what i've read.

King_Baboon_Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want to pre-load the crickets with vitamins before you feed them to your scorpion, then the easiest way to do this is feed the crickets fish flake food.

This is a cheap and really good pre-loader because it has all the essential vitamins, minerals, proteins etc.

Cheap and effective....thats what I like to hear!! :p :p

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Scorpions get all the needed nutrition from their food...leave the vitamins for the herps.

The only thing you may want to do with you crickets before you feed them is make sure they are hydrated...this is especially important for desert species if you don't use a water dish.

In these instances I mist a corner of my scorpions enclosure and place the crickets in the misted area where they usually will drink...kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

John
];')