cricket drink,yellow or blue?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
fangsalot said:
so there were no ill effects??if your slings grew to be normal,healthy adults,than the gel is ok,right?
Given that regular water is so cheap and easy to use, why bother with the expense and potential risk of the gel stuff. Besides, one person's experience with a few tarantulas who have not shown any problems is not enough data to conclusively say the gel stuff is safe.

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Given that regular water is so cheap and easy to use, why bother with the expense and potential risk of the gel stuff. Besides, one person's experience with a few tarantulas who have not shown any problems is not enough data to conclusively say the gel stuff is safe.
I agree 100% with what you state above. Mine was with more than a few also. Try 80+ tarantulas. So it's some good data. We're never going to find out if it does or doesn't if no one tries it. I'm sure this theme will be brought up a few more times and I'll post my result each time. So we'll see as time goes on.

meatbeef

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Jaden said:
The Jello. Iced Coffee sucks. Coffee is drunk hot or at least warm.

I don't know about that Jaden. Those Frappucinos are usually a pretty tasty treat on a hot summer day.

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no gel for my babies,thanx fellas(guess i was just being a lil lazy)

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can someone explain this theory about calcium and tarantulas for me?

Edit: no problem, i just found CMs post on the subject in aonther thread.

Cheers,

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
meatbeef said:
I don't know about that Jaden. Those Frappucinos are usually a pretty tasty treat on a hot summer day.
You can have my share. ;P I like coffee hot. Well most times I get done drinking it it's warm at best.

Potatoemoe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got the same stuff well mine is the gut load cricket drink, anf it says the same thing on top ideal for tarantula nd scorpions. When I bought it though I took it as ideal for crickets being feed to tarantula or scorpionsm but now I see your point. But even though I am only a beginner keeper I don't think I would use it for my T, just because the sink is rught there and that ater is free, more or less. But I do use it for my crickets just so I didn't have to worry about them drowning.

Mha8649

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All my t's that are big enough for a small dish would get water. I have not had and babies as of yet but if and when the time comes I might give the gel a try on maybe half and see if theres any difference between the gel and misting.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I feed crickets dry rabbit food pellets. I've started putting some water on each pellet I put into the crickets tank. The pellet gets huge and the cricket is eating and getting lots of moisture without any chance of them drowning before one of my lil monsters can get to it! {D

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never seen this blue or yellow gel stuff in the UK.

What i have seen is the amount of unnescesary C*** that some companies put on the market, and some of the stuff i have heard in some shops is complete rubbish, and only designed to get money out of peoples pockets, The Tarantula drinking bowl sponge is the first thing that springs to mind, and this gell seems to be just as big a rip off.

I like the idea of putting water on dry pellets, this would also make the food much more easy for the crickets to eat. I use dry fish pellets and dont bother with water, my crickets are not around long enough for them to die of thirst.

Be aware of some of the stuff which is sold for spiders, a lot of it is junk just to get money from you.

Natco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It would be interesting if someone raised two control groups from the same brood. Gave one control group the gel stuff, and not the other one. Then growth and mortality rates could be compared. Until that happens with a few different species we are really just guessing. I still like nice cheap water myself though.

Mha8649

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
angelarachnid said:
I have never seen this blue or yellow gel stuff in the UK.

What i have seen is the amount of unnescesary C*** that some companies put on the market, and some of the stuff i have heard in some shops is complete rubbish, and only designed to get money out of peoples pockets, The Tarantula drinking bowl sponge is the first thing that springs to mind, and this gell seems to be just as big a rip off.

Well your wrong there. It does a great job at what its made for.. I give it to my crikets and never once have any of them drowned in it. but as far as giving it to a tarantula, like I said before it MAY be good for slings. you wouldnt have to worry about them drowning or dehydrating.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
angelarachnid said:
I like the idea of putting water on dry pellets, this would also make the food much more easy for the crickets to eat. I use dry fish pellets and dont bother with water, my crickets are not around long enough for them to die of thirst.
Yeah, I dont worry about crickets dying from thirst. But if it's hydrated, well then I'm assuming the tarantula that eats it reaps the rewards.

angelarachnid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mha8649 said:
Well your wrong there. It does a great job at what its made for.. I give it to my crikets and never once have any of them drowned in it. but as far as giving it to a tarantula, like I said before it MAY be good for slings. you wouldnt have to worry about them drowning or dehydrating.
Ever heard of carrot or apple???

Never had any crickets drown in slices of carrot or apple too

this does the same job if not more nutricious being real, not only that a damn site more cheaper

For me the water dish is a really good means of regulating humidity, i have looked in the wild for water dishes to find spiders but never found anything {D {D {D

But found spiders without water dishes............strange that.............

Look at what nature does...she knows best

Ray

Mha8649

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a carrot can mold this can't....
I agree that there are alot of useless items out there... but this item in particular does a good job at keeping your crikets well hydrated especially if you breed your own.
And I know of a few people that have enough crikets and cockroaches and other insects that they raise where buying the carrots or apples to would cost more.

Last edited: