Creature Soil? Any Good?

decirp

Arachnopeon
Creature Soil
Anyone heard of this stuff? If so is i safe to use for my "T"s. I currently have a B.albopilosum, B.klassi and a B auratum (all are slings). I was given a bag from a friend so wanted to check before I go ahead and use it. Thanks for any feedback and or advice.

Material(s): Peat Moss, Soil, Sand and Carbon

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
sounds fine since it isn't pure sand, but coco fiber works fine you know. Or if you know what to look our for plain ole soil is fine, or if you are extremely ghetto you can just use back yard stuff (I do not personally recommend you might pick up some baddies) :troll:
I used sphagnum peat moss sometimes and that works fine.

decirp

Arachnopeon
sounds fine since it isn't pure sand, but coco fiber works fine you know. Or if you know what to look our for plain ole soil is fine, or if you are extremely ghetto you can just use back yard stuff (I do not personally recommend you might pick up some baddies) :troll:
I used sphagnum peat moss sometimes and that works fine.
thanks for the input was going to buy some eco soil, pretty much coco fiber but then a buddy gave me this bag of creature soil.... just planning my next habitat set up for after the next molt...

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
thanks for the input was going to buy some eco soil, pretty much coco fiber but then a buddy gave me this bag of creature soil.... just planning my next habitat set up for after the next molt...
well it is fine if you use that, I was thinking you were going to buy it, but if it was free that's fine.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Is carbon a normal ingredient in these things? I just use soil.

He said that lol
I think the carbon is for cleaning crews of something, I wouldn't know I just use this huge bag of coco fiber I got in my peon days.

*face palm*
oh I see...well I guess I have embarrassed myself. I must be going senile...or maybe not sleeping affects cognition. My points are still very valid...:oldman:.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Activated carbon is what we use in fish tank filters, so it being a cleaning agent makes sense!

*face palm*
oh I see...well I guess I have embarrassed myself. I must be going senile...or maybe not sleeping affects cognition. My points are still very valid...:oldman:.
Noo, no sad reacts or emvarrassment! We all miss things sometimes.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
Creature Soil
Anyone heard of this stuff? If so is i safe to use for my "T"s. I currently have a B.albopilosum, B.klassi and a B auratum (all are slings). I was given a bag from a friend so wanted to check before I go ahead and use it. Thanks for any feedback and or advice.

Material(s): Peat Moss, Soil, Sand and Carbon
I’ve also asked for a review of it everyone one posted positive reviews I’ll be buying it soon

LittleGiRLy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tried it. Used it for one of my T's (as a trial run) for three weeks, and she hated it. She clung to the wall the whole three weeks until i changed it back to coco. But i also have a friend who uses it with no problems!

LarsCody

Arachnosquire
I’m currently using the stuff myself. Needed more substrate than came with the stock terrarium. I think I wet the everliving daylights out of it at first since my T wouldn’t walk on it until after the first day I placed it in. I mist it for my b. Albopilosum which I’m not too concerned about, since I live in the American Southwest and the utter lack of humidity in the air sucks up any wet patches in hours.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Most likely fine to use as above have said. These substrates marketed specifically as reptile/tarantula/exotic pet substrates are often way more expensive than just getting bulk bags of soil, peat or coc fibre (which work perfectly for most people).

But if you got it for free and it looks good then win win :)

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I use it for my vinegaroons and they love it, it’s compact and holds its shape very well. I mixed some in with coco fiber and it seems to work just as wel.

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
So I have it in one of my enclosures. M.balfouri doesnt seem to mind it at all and is thriving on it. However, for some reason I just dont like the way it looks so I just switched to coco fiber in my other enclosures. No issues with it though.

syrinx

Arachnopeon
Tarantula Collective recommends it for Brazilian blue for humidity and burrowing. He says it holds the moisture and holds its shape. Check out his Brazilian Blue Care and Husbandry doc.

tamra

Arachnopeon
Hmmm. I just bought a little bag for my T. albopilosus. It’s my first tarantula. The pet store sold her in a small faunarium with substrate and some nice bark pieces to make a hide but three days in I notice she’s always on the side walls or on the bark, not the substrate. The substrate is dry on top so I‘m wondering if she does not like the texture. Also, her hide is way too small for her. So I’m moving her to a larger enclosure tomorrow and my plan was to mix the creature soil with coconut fibre. Having read this thread I am concerned she might not like that either. I think I’ll try layering some of the creature soil in one corner of the enclosure and see if she seems to have a favourite spot.

tamra

Arachnopeon
So I was about to buy the coco fibre when the pet store guy strong recommended this Tarantula Mix from Jurassic as the only substrate made especially for tarantulas. He said it's really good at retaining moisture but at feeling dry and it's only just arrived in Canada. The ingredients are similar to Creature Soil but with cypress wood mulch and no carbon. It's quite pricey at $35 a 9L bag (it may be cheaper in the US) and VERY heavy.

I mixed my 1 small bag of creature soil to 2 parts this tarantula mix. It was nice to work with. I wanted to add levels to my enclosure with the hide down a little ramp and soil mounded over the top to create a higher level. The soil was very dry (my girl seems to really dislike damp soil) but held its shape nicely. My T. albopilosus went from always being on the wall to being down on the substrate. I rehoused her yesterday and just caught her actively excavating her hide. Yesterday she was busy creating web mats between the pieces of wood and some leaf litter I added. I wasn't sure she'd like all that wood mulch but she seems to use it for anchors and she's very active right now.

With my very minimal experience in the hobby and just one T, I'd say spiders like it! And it looks nice in the enclosure. If you had a lot of spiders this mix would get very expensive. With just one it's easier to splurge.

[I just looked at the US price and this does indeed seem to be one of those items that costs more than twice as much in Canada -- that's often true when there is no Canadian distribution for a new item and there is just a single small distributor bringing it in and gouging accordingly. Ditto Tarantula Cribs, who gouge on the shipping. I think I need to go cross border on an arachnid supply shopping trip. ]